Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Broken patella and dislocation of the knee  (Read 1912 times)

Offline apereira86

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Broken patella and dislocation of the knee
« on: October 13, 2013, 11:08:17 PM »
Hi there, I slipped and fell on wet grass and smacked my right knee on the edge of the pavement on August 30 2013 and was rushed to the hospital got x-rays done and they put me out to put my knee back into place and put me in a blue knee immobilizer with white straps and sent me home the same day and I waited for a week later to have my surgery (day surgery)  it's been really tough to get around and to do anything. Since the surgery it has been 5 weeks since then and my knee seems to be healing but can't put no weight on my leg/knee and still hard to get around especially with crutches which to me is annoying and adjusting the brace every so often. Everyone has told me that this will be a long and hard healing process and my surgeon says I probably might start walking sometime in December. my question is does anyone really know what my next step will be 5 weeks after surgery is?? If anyone can tell me what's to be expected during this time period now? Thank you.
Andie Pereira

Offline JoanneS

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 3
Re: Broken patella and dislocation of the knee
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 06:17:39 PM »
Sorry to welcome you to the club. I  fractured my patella back on March 19. You can not go by my story because my patella hasn't healed and I have had 2 surgeries on it. First time around I was partial weight bearing about 8 weeks and total weight bearing at 10 weeks. I used a walker like crutches and found it easier. PT at the hospital told me it was better to use a walker for better balance. This is not easy to go thru.

Joanne

Offline Cassaroles

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 32
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 09:01:26 PM »
So sorry to hear about your accident.  I also slipped on wet grass and went down on pavement.   :-\ 

Your surgeon should be telling you about next steps, but typically if you have a bone break they want you to be immobilized for 6-8 weeks as the bone heals.  I was walking without crutches around 2 months post-op. 

Do you have a follow up appointment scheduled with your surgeon?  They should tell you exactly when to get out of the brace and begin physical therapy.  If they haven't yet, you should inquire. 

Good luck though, you'll be fine --- it is a long road, but once you're in PT you'll start to see a lot of rapid progress (if you work hard!)  - good luck!!!

Offline apereira86

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 02:37:10 PM »
Thank you very much for your stories now I don't feel left out lol. Yes I  have a follow up appointment with my surgeon next week Tuesday October 22 I will be at 6 weeks already so maybe my surgeon will tell me to start the light weight bearing. I have people tell me the worst is over but the hard part is when it's time to try and bend my knee and it will hurt because my leg being in the brace and the stiffness but I know I will have to deal with it. All I want is for this to be over and done with and just want to start walking again and thank god I don't work but I'm a single mother  of a 6 year old girl who needs me and I want to push my self and work hard to start walking again for my daughter and myself but thank you again I appreciate that :)
Andie Pereira

support