Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Tib/Fib plateau fracture 5/27/13...knee frozen at 87 degrees for 3 weeks  (Read 2276 times)

Offline Hmayo1969

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 2
 Hello everyone!
I have been following this website for about 2 months, but just found out this is where everyone else is with my type of injury.

Here is a brief history:
Fibia has a screw, and washer
Tibia has a plate with 6 screws and bone filler
Small meniscus tear that was repaired
Ankle wounds
Foot drop

I was in a horrible car accident on Memorial day (5-27-13) our truck and toyhauler trailer rolled 3 times on the freeway due to wind. We are all ok, and I am lucky this is the only injury I have.
Tib/fib plateau fracture had ext fix on 5/27 and ORIF with bone filler and meniscus repair on 5/30. Also I had a very serious wound to my ankle, laceration all the way to the bone and few layers of skin taken off. This required surgery the same days.
Since we were 2 hours away from home, I couldn't pick my hospital or surgeon. I was in the hospital for 7 days.
I went for my 2 and 3 week post op out of town but have now switched care to be closer to home.
I am now established with an OS, neurologist and wound care close to home.
Due to my ankle injury I wasn't able to start PT for 7 weeks. I have been in PT for 7 weeks now, 3 1/2 months since the injury.

My concerns are:
1) I am only partial weight bearing with an air boot and walker, and I have drop foot.
2) I started at PT with ROM at 52 degrees flexion and 7 weeks later I am only at 87 degrees with no change in 3 weeks due to pain.
3) The pain is on the lateral side of my knee where it is bulging at the top of my fibula.

I see the OS in 2 days for a follow up. He did do an MRI that was inconclusive because of the hardware, to check my ACL. But the pain and swelling are new.

I came home from PT today in tears because of new improvement in the 87 degree flexion

Thanks for any encouragement you have  :)

Offline RHKtpf

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Re: Tib/Fib plateau fracture 5/27/13...knee frozen at 87 degrees for 3 weeks
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 09:48:51 PM »
Hi HMayo,

So sorry to hear of your accident and injuries, and welcome to the tpf club. No one wants to be a member, but if you are, you'll find both encouragement and information here.

I don't have any specific advice about improving the ROM, but suspect you'll soon have other posters chiming in. In the meantime, a quick search on "tpf rom" might turn up some helpful and encouraging posts, and perhaps some leads on what's worked well for others on hitting a ROM plateau.
7/17/14 fell, diagnosed with class V/VI tpf
7/18/13 ORIF, locking plate, 8 screws/pins
7/19/13 discharged from hospital
7/30/13 1st Post op OS visit, ROM ~ 125-130
8/1/13 1st PT session
8/21/13 2nd PT session
9/11/13 2nd OS visit, started PWB (25%)
9/12/13 3rd PT session ROM 145

Offline MSD

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 12
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 09:42:18 PM »
There is no easy fix. But you can get there. Some exercises which were good for me:

Lie on your back and lift your knee as high as you can. Let your lower leg "hang" as far as it can. Let gravity do the work. Alternate between massaging where it hurts and pulling gently down with as much force as you can stand.

Get on an exercise bike. Pedal forward as far as you can, tben pedal backwards. Push it as hard as you can. Eventually there will come a magic moment when you can get all the way around. This will come earlier if you set the seat very high. Then gradually lower the seat for each session.

Walk, walk, walk everywhere. It may take a long time and be inconvenient, but the more miles you walk the quicker you will recover. Plus a common peoblem is putting on weight after an injury, which only makes the job harder. The more exercise you get, the better.

Dont be afraid! These exercises will hurt, but you are very unlikely to damage yourself. There is both a physical barrier and a mental barrier. They go hand in hand.

M
15/03/2011 TPF type 2 skiing accident
17/03/2011 operation, plate and 7 screws
31/03/2011 stitches out, ROM 10/45
28/04/2011 ROM 0/140, PWB allowed
20/05/2011 full ROM
25/05/2011 FWB

Offline Hmayo1969

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 07:13:48 AM »