Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: tibial plateau fracture???? not that bad???  (Read 18070 times)

Offline tog

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
tibial plateau fracture???? not that bad???
« on: August 01, 2009, 04:34:40 AM »
hi

big guy here
did the splits a week or so ago

knee swelled up and hurt when i put pressure on it with it bent----didn't bother me when it was locked

got up walked around a convention that day---it was sore--and if i bent it while walking--it hurt

went to family doc first---diagnosis acl

then went to ortho---by this time walking decent on it, can bend it with no pain while walking,  a tad sore,  an MRI is ordered

i continue to walk around on it with even fewer problems---almost back to normal

then got the call that i had to go on crutches with no weight on it at all

the mri showed a bad bone bruise possible fracture of the tibial plateau

problem is

i have to coach football on august 10th , i am willing to do whatever i need to do and still do my job
it is something i preach to the kids all the time

no weight isn't going to work, i don't have to run around and tackle people or anything
but i need to be able to

1. move from place to place in a decent time---which without the crutches i was about back to 95% i would say

2. get out of the way when the players come flying through crazy style---to prevent injury of them and me

ideas?

suggestions?

going back to the doctor on monday

but this is killin me in the head right now

« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 04:41:52 AM by tog »

Offline maryc

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 18
Re: tibial plateau fracture???? not that bad???
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 05:52:54 AM »
Welcome to the club no one wants to join. 
I really don't have a solution to your issue.  The only thing I can think of is getting a golf cart (can your local golf course donate one for use?)
The reason for the non-weight bearing is not just for the fracture to heal, it is also to give the mensicus a chance to mend.  If there are issues with the mensicus and cartilidge not healing properly you have a much greater chance of arthritis developing in the knee and needing a knee replacement in the future.
This injury requires a lot of patience and a lot of hard work when you begin rehab.  That can also be a lesson for your kids to learn.
Sending healing rays your way.
8/4/07 fell
8/5 diagnosed TPF
8/6 surgery plate and 6 screws
8/12 out of hospital NWM
8/21 staples removed
9/18 OS appt - WBAT with crutches
10/10 - WBAT with cane
10/27 - back to work w/cane
12/26 - no cane, slight limp when tired
1/25/08 - released from PT, no limp
2/3/09 - Released by OS

Offline leezard

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
  • I'm no gimp, I'm transportationally dysfunctional!
    • SnapDragonz
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 06:59:30 AM »
Be glad you didn't need surgery. :)

And yes, I really do mean that -- the WORST thing you can do is go against doctor's orders and make it worse. If it doesn't heal now, it will only take longer to do that, which means you'll be off your leg longer, as well. Yes, it really does suck, I definitely won't lie... but the more you take care of yourself, the faster you'll heal and the faster you'll be showing those kids how to tackle properly!!

:D

Good luck. The fact that you're able to walk on it with few problems means you're already ahead of many people with the similar fracture -- which means you are likely to heal faster than many of these people, as well and therefore be back to a real semblance of life.
Krystal

6/6/09 - TPF (fell)
6/7/09 - surgery: plate; 9 screws
6/9/09 - d/c from hospital w/immobilizer; NWB
6/15/09 - staples removed
7/6/09 - start on ROM
8/6/09 - 20lbs WB, start PT
8/30/09 - stuck @ 75 degrees; start weaning brace; up to 60lbs WB
9/28/09 - D/C from OS care; 92 AROM; 105 PROM

Offline tog

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 04:10:47 PM »
so maybe a hinged brace and toe pressure with crutches?

are there not any external supports that can keep it from dislodging?

btw--i have no ligament damage and no lateral meniscus issues

they did say i had some medial meniscus

?

Offline maryc

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 04:29:47 PM »
With a TPF the purpose of the knee brace is to keep the knee from twisting. I hate to say this, but without internal hardware to keep everything in place you only real option is to be NWB for as long at the OS says. 
8/4/07 fell
8/5 diagnosed TPF
8/12 out of hospital NWM
8/21 staples removed
10/10 - WBAT with cane
2/3/09 - Released by OS

Offline chipe

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2009, 05:14:59 PM »
Hi Tog, and sorry you had to join this club.

If your OS says NWB, I'd follow instructions.  MaryC is one of our 'experts', and believe me, I tried all ways to get around it too since if I have NWB in both legs, I'm in a wheelchair.  And that's where I've been since June 10th, and will be until at least August 18th.

Your tibia is the MAIN weight bearing bone in your entire body.  And if you look at a picture of it, the tibial plateau is more like a "Y" that the femur/knee sets in to.  The "Y" is what is broken in a TPF.

There are casts and braces out there, but none of them really satisfy the NWB issue.

Really, listen to your OS, and listen to some of our more seasoned folks here on this site.  If the OS says NWB, please, please don't try to get around it. 

Sending healing thoughts your way.
6/10/09 TPF Class 1, 3 or 4, you pick, and then there's the left leg
6/11 immobilized
6/17 surgery 2 plates and 9 screws
7/1   stitches removed
7/6  home
7/21 OS left foot, nwb until 8/18
8/3  NWB either leg
8/18 FWBAT left leg; 40lbs. max on right
9/9  FWBAT as tolerated, and I'm really walking!

Offline tog

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2009, 05:20:07 PM »
just got off the phone with our school trainer who was told more about it----i was just told by the dr office to stay off of it non weight bearing style

anyhow

trainer told me that the mri showed a very small divot in the cartilage meaning--i think if i get this right

1. bone is exposed
and/or
2. there is a small fracture there

what is the downtime on having screws and plate surgically put in? if i have to go that route to do what i need to do?

Offline chipe

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2009, 05:31:02 PM »
Tog,
The down time varies after surgery.  If it is fractured, and depending on the plate/s screw/s situation, plan on 8-12 weeks, with the emphasis on 12.  As my OS said, "Chip, you are on bone time now, give up on the regular time schedule."

We all heal differently, some fast, some slow.  Age is a factor; complying with NWB is another.  Surgery/non-surgery is another.  Diet, excercise, etc. all play a role.

Again, hang in there, and do what the OS says.  I know it is frustrating, believe me I know, we ALL know.  We are with you, please keep us posted.
6/11 immobilized
7/1   stitches removed
7/6  home
8/3  NWB either leg

Offline tog

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2009, 05:45:08 PM »
Tog,
The down time varies after surgery.  If it is fractured, and depending on the plate/s screw/s situation, plan on 8-12 weeks, with the emphasis on 12.  As my OS said, "Chip, you are on bone time now, give up on the regular time schedule."

We all heal differently, some fast, some slow.  Age is a factor; complying with NWB is another.  Surgery/non-surgery is another.  Diet, excercise, etc. all play a role.

Again, hang in there, and do what the OS says.  I know it is frustrating, believe me I know, we ALL know.  We are with you, please keep us posted.

that's just it

it isn't broken off---is that displaced?

or is displaced just caved in some?

Offline tog

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2009, 05:49:57 PM »
i also have full range of motion
no swelling now

my other knee has an acl/mcl surgery after a football injury about 20 years ago

i am doing the non weight bearing stuff as best i can right now---just a slight toe touch with my new bad knee

i seriously doubt that i could go full non weight bearing due to my size and other knee

Offline tog

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2009, 05:54:28 PM »
looking at the schatzker scale and the pics

it sounds like it is less than level 1---just a small divot there within the bowl

Offline chipe

• Regular Poster
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2009, 08:13:15 PM »
Tog, so it's a depression, not a break/fracture?  Read some of the other posts for depressions, that will give you some idea of what you are dealing with.

Good luck and keep us posted.
6/11 immobilized
7/1   stitches removed
7/6  home
8/3  NWB either leg

Offline tog

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2009, 08:35:01 PM »
Tog, so it's a depression, not a break/fracture?  Read some of the other posts for depressions, that will give you some idea of what you are dealing with.

Good luck and keep us posted.

they said possible fracture

from my readings depressions seem to be fractures that have fallen downward?

i use football lingo not this stuff

still learning here

it was described to me as a slight/small depression in one little spot on top of the plateau---the whole cup isn't broken off or anything

that is what i am worried about

but

i HAVE to make it through this season as mobile as possible

Offline Grandhoux

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2009, 09:46:08 AM »
I had a type I tibial plateau fracture in my right knee when I was 14. I had to stay off it for 12 weeks as everyone said. It was just a crack down the bone but I wasn't given any choice. My right knee, once healed, has never given me any trouble at all ... my left knee is now shot after a road traffic accident. Don't risk it! I can tell you now that nothing is worth risking your knee for! You will be doing those kids a great disservice trying to play the 'hard man', sorry, but you need to grow up!  >:(
Accident in France 1st December 08. TPF, plate and 7 screws
22 weeks later, now only 6 screws!
11 months, slipped and broke Femur. Plate and further 10 screws in femur
16 months now only 15 screws, another came out!
2 years hardware removed.
January 2012 High Tibial Osteotomy to straighten leg.
tkr?

Offline tog

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2009, 04:14:44 PM »
I had a type I tibial plateau fracture in my right knee when I was 14. I had to stay off it for 12 weeks as everyone said. It was just a crack down the bone but I wasn't given any choice. My right knee, once healed, has never given me any trouble at all ... my left knee is now shot after a road traffic accident. Don't risk it! I can tell you now that nothing is worth risking your knee for! You will be doing those kids a great disservice trying to play the 'hard man', sorry, but you need to grow up!  >:(

you say grow up

i say

it is texas high school football

it is what i am

good luck with your knee issues

Offline chipe

• Regular Poster
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2009, 04:32:16 PM »
Tog,

I understand about Texas football, even though I'm from Connecticut.  It's a life's, town's and individual's passion!  BUT, it's not going to do you or your players any good if you don't mend correctly.  If you don't, then your coaching career will most likely be cut short due to complications, arthritis and pain.  I know you don't want that.

Wait and see what the OS says.  There are braces out there, that if there is no surgery that will be greatly helpful.
If surgery, than consider the golf cart route, even the pro coaches do that!  Or maybe one of those cool looking 3 wheel scooters!

Also, I just re-read your first post.  Be careful of out-thinking the injury!  DebbieO posted a good link http://www.mybrokenleg.com/forums/read.php?f=2&i=49404&t=49404 to an article saying that lower extremity injuries cause a lot of mental anguish and feelings of isolation.  Tell yourself what you would tell your star player if he broke his leg.  Be as good to yourself as you would be to him.

Good luck, and keep us posted.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 04:40:59 PM by chipe »
6/11 immobilized
7/1   stitches removed
7/6  home
8/3  NWB either leg

Offline Grandhoux

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2009, 06:37:44 PM »
OK, maybe I was a bit harsh but if you screw your knee up it will wreck your life when it needn't. No game is that important, and no matter what anybody says, football of any sort is only a game. It isn't a matter of life or death, honour or dishonour, just a game. It doesn't achieve anything, teach anything, progress science or civilisation and next season it's usually forgotten. I've had the same discussion with soccer fans in Britain and I can't understand them, either.

If you want to mess your own life up, go ahead, but you're setting your kids a bad example by ignoring an expert's advice. Think of their future, is football that important?  ???
tkr?

Offline burnbank

• Regular Poster
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2009, 08:34:11 PM »
Hi Tog,

Sorry about your injury.  I was a division I college athlete (lacrosse) in my time and grew up among Ohio football and continue to be active and coach as an adult.  I know and get what you are talking about.  I understand your need to be mobile to coach, it may not be possible. 

The biggest thing to worry about is permanent disability.  I am typically a pretty bad patient and get going earlier than I should.  My doctor terrified me with talk of inability to walk and move around if I didn't rehabilitate correctly.  There are people on this blog who, despite all efforts, have trouble with their mobility and are still struggling with recovery after many years.  They are in pain and can't get around well at all.  You really want to recover well in order to avoid this so you can have a good football season next year and the years after that.  That is truly what you are risking.  A TPF is the worst leg break you can suffer.  The tibial plateau is the most load-bearing surface in your body.  Also, it sounds like you are a big guy and so that area is probably carrying a lot of weight. 

You keep mentioning crutches with your toe touching - this is called toe-touch weight.  It can also be damaging and I was not cleared for such until 10 weeks post-op.  I had a pretty bad injury and surgery to correct it.  Your injury may not be that severe and your non-weightbearing time could be shorter. 

My advice......do exactly what your doctor says and you may get out of the non-weightbearing earlier.  Ignore what your Dr says and you time off of the leg will most certainly be longer.  Now IS the time to be a good patient, I swear.
4/27/09 Skiing accident Stage IV TPF, dislocation, avulsed meniscus
5/5 Surgery - 2 plates, 2 pins, 10 screws.  Imobilised 2 weeks.
5/20 PT Hinged Brace, ROM-30.
5/27 All stitches out.
6/17 no brace 106-ROM
7/23 130-ROM PWB - 25%
7/30 PWB - 50% DRIVING
8/10 FWB!!!

9/29/11 hardware removed!

Offline StuDogg

• Regular Poster
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2009, 04:15:38 PM »
Tog,
I certainly understand the Texas High School football thing.  I've lived in Texas almost my whole life and football is definitely in my blood.  Where do you coach?

Do you remember a few years ago when Joe Paterno was coaching from the press box?  He had a TPF.  So, now you have something in common with one of the greatest coaches of all time!

I know it's difficult, but you really have to do what you can to keep the weight off of that leg.  Being a big guy, as you've mentioned, it's even more important that your articulating cartilage is as sound as possible.  One little defect can cause oodles of problems.  My PT told me about crutches that you rest your forearms in and are easier to support yourself with if you're larger.  She said they're used a lot by football players.

For those who don't understand the Texas football mentality, it's something that becomes woven into your very being at the most primal level.  Don't ask for an explanation of why it is.  It just is.  Asking a "football person" to step back from football is like asking a musician to stay away from music or an artist to not create.
12/13/08 Type V TPF
12/23/08 Surgery - Plate with ten screws
1/12/09 Returned to work half time
1/14/09 Started PT
2/16/09 Reached 130 degree flexion
2/19/09 PWB
3/19/09 FWB
4/23/09 Released from PT
7/23/09 Cleared to run.
1/7/10 OS Visit - Time to remove hardware
2/22/10 Hardware removed

Offline tog

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2009, 11:21:51 PM »
thanks stu

went back to the doc

3mm depression

so

looks like i will be on a golf cart at practice

wheelchair down the ramps at games

then be up on crutches as non weight bearing as i can when we are on offense---then when we are on defense-on my butt with the offensive linemen

wife set up a little room in the house so i don't have to move too far

wheelchair it to class

use crutches to get around the fieldhouse/weightroom

feel useless

Offline leezard

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
  • I'm no gimp, I'm transportationally dysfunctional!
    • SnapDragonz
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2009, 12:18:07 AM »
Dude, it gets better... BUT....

there's always a but. :)

Of course you're going to feel useless. Everyone does with this kind of injury, but the WORST thing you can do for yourself, your wife and your team is dwell on that and feel sorry for yourself. It sucks a big toe, but there's ways around everything. Find some short cuts and learn to be called a cripple because that's simply the reality of it right now, and if you want to ensure your football career is over go ahead and run with your team -- it'll be a one way street to nuptials with a walking cane. But, hey, maybe the team will win, right? You'll be there no matter what -- just not on your feet. I'm sure they'll understand, and learn to respect you for being able to bite the bullet and show your pride while in a wheelchair or on crutches. The fact that you haven't given up on the team during your healing process should say it all. They'll also learn to respect their bodies and health, because if they don't they are going to have a short football career.

I've had a lot of people thank me for my upbeat attitude and happy go luckiness. Truth of the matter is that I"m sick of where things are at right now and definitely not in such a happy place.... I have been TWO MONTHS without walking. There are people here that go even longer, and have worse scenarios. If you were walking after you broke your leg, you're already ahead of the game... I couldn't move my toes, nevermind walk and needed to use a friggin' bed pan until I had my surgery which, lucky for me, was the next day. Of anyone you can talk to, the people here understand the useless feeling. The BEST way for you to win this battle is to do what you can with a positive attitude -- it'll help YOU feel a little better, help the people AROUND you feel better which will, in turn, help you even more. If you get down on yourself, you're going to drag down the people around you, which isn't fair for them. It's hard, but it'll be one of the biggest challenges of your life. I never thought I'd live to tell people that I did diddly-squat all for two months and survived my own insanity to tell the tale, nevermind my husband survive me, as well. It's not an easy thing to go through, but try to put your chin up and smile a little -- I'm not saying it's going to make the world a happier place, but maybe you'll be able to realize that it's not so bad and you'll be back at it, one day. Hopefully sooner rather than later, as opposed to not at all.
Krystal

6/6/09 - TPF (fell)
6/7/09 - surgery: plate; 9 screws
6/9/09 - d/c from hospital w/immobilizer; NWB
6/15/09 - staples removed
7/6/09 - start on ROM
8/6/09 - 20lbs WB, start PT
8/30/09 - stuck @ 75 degrees; start weaning brace; up to 60lbs WB
9/28/09 - D/C from OS care; 92 AROM; 105 PROM

Offline burnbank

• Regular Poster
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2009, 01:34:23 AM »
Hey Tog,

3mm depression?  So probably no surgery?  That's good in the long run.  MaryC didn't have surgery either and she can talk about that recovery as well, but it's certainly NWB for awhile.  We ALL get very down during this process, so we certainly understand.

Honestly, you'll be able to get yourself around and accomplish what you need to do.  I learned to love my wheelchair when I was in it.  It's an easy way around.  Most important is to get what you need to do done and then, when you are not coaching, rest, rehab and gather your energy for the next go round.  This means you'll need to lean on your wife a lot and forget about taking care of the lawn.  Pick your priorities - I would imagine they are health and football (and you relationship with your dear wife!)  Even now, I've just come home from a full day of desk work and I am useless.  I collapse into bed and rest most of the evening to get ready to work again tomorrow.  If you are like me, you'll spend a lot of your time in the evenings in bed trying to figure out what to buy your loved one as a thank-you for all they've done. 

Oh and get yourself a toolbelt to carry your stuff around!!!

5/27 All stitches out.
6/17 no brace 106-ROM
7/23 130-ROM PWB - 25%
7/30 PWB - 50% DRIVING
8/10 FWB!!!

Offline maryc

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2009, 02:23:59 AM »
Tog - the best advice I can offer is take it slow and easy.  What you do during the next 12 weeks can make a difference in your quality of life from now on.
FYI - I did have surgery - plate and 6 screws.
Sending healing rays your way
8/4/07 fell
8/5 diagnosed TPF
8/12 out of hospital NWM
8/21 staples removed
10/10 - WBAT with cane
2/3/09 - Released by OS

Offline chipe

• Regular Poster
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2009, 02:39:20 AM »
I am so sorry TOG, I was praying for something different.

I can truly relate to the feeling useless part.  I remember getting my wheelchair, and it has a sticker on it "Invacare".  My first thought was "yeah, invacare for an invalid."  It kinda' went downhill for a week or so from there.

But then I found this site, and realized that 12 weeks isn't really that bad, considering what the alternative was, and considering the entire span of one's life.  Heck, 12 weeks, 3 months, we can do that!

Relying on others, yes, can be very difficult, especially someone like you who, in my humble opinion, done most things on your own.  A football coach is not one who lets others do for him all that willingly.  :o

BUT:  You are already into it by at least a week, so now you are already down to 11 weeks.  Read that article that DebbieO posted about, it will give you some insight.

Know that there are folks right here going through the same stuff you are, not exactly, but sharing the same feelings, frustrations, joys, ups and downs.

I am really sending thoughts and prayers your way.
6/11 immobilized
7/1   stitches removed
7/6  home
8/3  NWB either leg

Offline sueski

• Regular Poster
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2009, 03:38:39 AM »
Hi Tog,
So sorry to welcome you to this very elite club, but it is truly a blessing to have such a wonderful place to share, to learn and to vent.

I know that helpless feeling. I live by myself, no husband or current boyfriend to help me right now. When my accident happened, I had to totallly depend on other people , family members and friends to help me survive. Thank God they helped me! Because of my helplessness, I was SOOOOOOOO greatful to have a wheelchair in my house. It was my best friend the first few weeks home. I could not have functioned without it!!! God bless wheel chairs!!! Without one, I would have starved, for I was literally too weak to get around my kitchen on crutches and was all alone. I had to negotiate stairs to get to the bathroom and kitchen.  When I arrived at my wheelchair, I sighed a great AHHHHHHHHHHHHH and relaxed on the cushy cushion I specially ordered for it. I could travel around my main floor, and kitchen, while keeping my ever so delicate leg elevated all the while.

So, be greatful that wheelchairs were invented, and crutches, and shower chairs and grabbers!! Yes it is humbling, but these gadgets sure can make life a lot easier when surviving a TPF or other leg break. You will be surprised by what you CAN do with your new temporary handicap. Suddenly, just getting to the toilet without falling takes on a whole new meaning. Its amazing how now you will be analyzing each step necessary to perform this feat without a mishap. And when you succeed, how greatful you will be!

And just remember, this new adventure that you are about to embark on is only temporary! You will survive, its not so bad, and life as you know it will resume again.

So, chin up buddy. You can do it! You are tough! Stay cool. Be patient. And do whatever is necessary to heal that fracture! We'll all be here rooting for you.

Susan
1-23-09TPF skiing in Vermont
1-24-09 Surgery, plate/8 screws
1-25-09 left hospital, stayed with brother in New Hampshire
1-31-09 driven home to Long Island, NY
2-3-09 some staples removed
2-10-09 more staples removed
4-1-09 PWB started driving
4-15-09 FWBAT

Offline sueski

• Regular Poster
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2009, 04:37:15 AM »
P.S
Just read my post and realized that I spelled grateful incorrectly - "greatful." Could not let this glaring error go uncorrected being a former reading teacher.

Sweet dreams everyone.
1-23-09TPF skiing in Vermont
1-24-09 Surgery, plate/8 screws
1-25-09 left hospital, stayed with brother in New Hampshire
1-31-09 driven home to Long Island, NY
2-3-09 some staples removed
2-10-09 more staples removed
4-1-09 PWB started driving
4-15-09 FWBAT

Offline burnbank

• Regular Poster
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2009, 04:47:32 AM »
Oops!  MaryC did have surgery!  My mistake. 
5/27 All stitches out.
6/17 no brace 106-ROM
7/23 130-ROM PWB - 25%
7/30 PWB - 50% DRIVING
8/10 FWB!!!

Offline Grandhoux

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2009, 09:44:27 AM »
I'm glad you're taking it seriously, Tog. With your injury you should get back 100% or close if you look after yourself andkeep up the exercises the doctor gives you. It's going to be a few months but then next year you should be back to full fitness, the alternative would be a month or so of painful sport and then maybe years regretting it. You'll find a way to do your coaching just keep the weight off that knee for as long as they say you should.

One of my 'issues' is that a locum (stand-in) doctor told me I was fully weight bearing after 11 weeks, without checking the XRays properly, and now my plateau has dropped on one side resulting in the need for a reconstruction and probably a further 3 months non-weight bearing!
tkr?

Offline tog

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2009, 04:02:50 AM »
thanks all

the coaches and kids are going out of their way to help me with things

getting on me when they see me put too much weight on it

i can't go zero weight or my once bad leg---the one i messed up 20 years ago will get messed up even more--doc knows this and just wants me to keep as much off as i can--and i am trying my best

wife made a up a small room across from our guest bathroom so i can park in the garage and only take about 4 hops on the crutches to the bathroom and then the man cave she made for me

will have the kids at school take the wheelchair out of my truck and i will roll around on it during the rest of the day when i am not doing football stuff on the golf cart

so

about 30 minutes total a day with as little weight on the thing while i am on crutches a day

getting around the bathrooms and stuff like that is still a challenge

learning how to do that

Offline chipe

• Regular Poster
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2009, 05:22:53 PM »
Keep up the good work Coach, and time will sail by and before you know it, with PT and a few weeks, PWB, then more PWB, and then, FWB!  :)

Keep those spirits up too, you're gonna' have a great season. ;D
6/11 immobilized
7/1   stitches removed
7/6  home
8/3  NWB either leg

Offline burnbank

• Regular Poster
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2009, 02:55:01 AM »
Tog-

Your post made me smile so much!  I wish I had a whole school of energetic kids helping me along.  It's like a movie or something, having the kids lift your wheelchair out of the truck.  LOVE IT!  That and the man cave.  My husband has earned to long desired man cave with all that he has done for me the past 4 months.

5/27 All stitches out.
6/17 no brace 106-ROM
7/23 130-ROM PWB - 25%
7/30 PWB - 50% DRIVING
8/10 FWB!!!

Offline shlomio

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
    • myTPF.com
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2013, 11:44:38 AM »
I suffered a TPF myself about half a year ago, and set up a website with useful information for people suffering from the same injury as I did.

I feel that for people who suffer a Tibial Plateau Fracture it's hard to get reliable information about what the recovery process will be like and how long it will take. That's why I built my site, and that's the kind of information I aim to have there.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 08:34:24 AM by The KNEEguru, Reason: Over use of links to own site »

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 115
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2013, 08:39:04 AM »
'shlomio', I amended your post and put the link into your Profile. I appreciate that you have experience in TPF, and trust that you will engage with the TPF sufferers here rather than just to divert them to your own site.
KNEEguru
--
KNEEguru

support