Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: A.C.I / ACI and oats procedure  (Read 842 times)

Offline lostandhopeles

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
A.C.I / ACI and oats procedure
« on: August 11, 2009, 10:56:43 PM »
This may be a dumb question but what is the differance? On may 15, 2009 I had what the O/S called an OATS procedure. I was 12 weeks non weight weight bearing. Now weight bearing as tollerated with crutches. While sitting here I noticed on the paper work from the O/S that it is showing Bone & Autologous Chondrocyte Implant was done. Is this the same procedure? just curious

Offline ArielF

• Regular Poster
Re: A.C.I / ACI and oats procedure
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 12:51:16 AM »
Hi there Lostandhoples
No OATS and ACI are completly different.  In OATS the lesion in your knee is removed by coring out little dowels of bone (the cartilage is gone) and replacing it with dowels of bone and intact cartilage from a nonweight bearing portion of your knee (autograft) or with a cadaver bone (alograft).  My doc switched the dowels so I didn't have open spots.  ACI is a 2 stage process.  The first stage is arthroscopic the doc harvests a little clipping of your cartilage, sends it out to a lab where it is cultured and grown to have millions? of cartilage cells, Then in a big open procedure the doc constructs a "blister" and fills it with your carefully grown cells.  Hope this helps

Happy recovery A

Offline lostandhopeles

• Regular Poster
Re: A.C.I / ACI and oats procedure
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 11:30:52 PM »
Thank you, I now am sure it was the oats procedure. Mine was autograft. I saw the xrays and it was pretty clear where the doner sight was. I had my knee opened the incision is 8 to 9 inches. It looked like someone stapled a worm to my knee. I am now weight bearing and going slowley but doing better