Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: OCD Surgery for 13yr old daughter  (Read 1524 times)

Offline soccermom96

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
OCD Surgery for 13yr old daughter
« on: July 31, 2009, 07:00:05 PM »
Hi...I'm new to the boards here, but have found so much helpful advice.  I'm hoping to find someone who has had a surgery like my daughters, who could give us advice.  She's a 13 yr old competitive soccer player, and has been diagnosed with OCD in her left knee.  We did the whole conservative route, 8 weeks on crutches, 4 weeks of PT, 4 weeks of light activity, and after about 2 weeks back at soccer, she was out again.  Her latest MRI with contrast showed a lesion approx 1-1/2" wide, and 1" deep, however her surgeon says to expect it to be bigger.  It also showed some signifigant cartillage damage.  Her surgery is scheduled for August 13th, and it will be an impatient surgery.  Here is what the consent form says she is having done: LEFT KNEE DIAGNOSTIC ARTHROSCOPY, OPEN ARTHROTOMY, BONE GRAFTING FROM DISTAL FEMUR AND REATTCHAMENT OF CARTILAGE WITH SYNTHES TITANIUM SCREWS.  So.......any advice????  I know she'll be in the hospital for 2-4 days, depending on how long it takes for the block to wear off, and how soon they can manage ger pain.  She will also have another surgery in 3 months, to remove the screw, and to see if the cartilage is repairing itself.  When we get home, she'll have a CPM machine, and cold therapy unit.  I would just like to know what to expect, and how to help her.  This has been devastating for her....soccer was her life, with dreams of playing in college.  Will she get there someday?  I welcome any help, and appreciate your time.

Offline lizonka

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: OCD Surgery for 13yr old daughter
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 07:28:44 PM »
So sorry to hear your daughter is going through this, especially being so young.  I had my first scope done at 14 for a mensical repair...played soccer too. 

I just had an allograft implant (using the new neocartilage/deNovo) on Thursday, July 2.  Mine was done on an outpatient basis, though it should have been done inpatient in retrospect.  Once the blocks wore off Friday morning, I was in horrible pain.  So horrible, I had to go to the ER and had two doses of dilaudid.  After that, I was able to manage the pain using the pain pills. 

The first 4-7 days were pretty bad.  Very bad.  But it got marginally better each day after.  I just started PT yesterday and, honestly, it was depressing.  My quad completely shut down for the first 3 1/2 weeks and has now only started to fire...a little.  This is by far, the hardest thing I've ever had to do.  It was my 5th surgery on this knee, but the worse proedure I've had done. 

Kids tend to be a lot more resilient though so hopefully your daughter will have an easy time coping than I am.  I think I'm mostly frustrated at how hard everything is.  I have a 3 year old son which you can imagine adds a more difficult piece to it all that your daughter obviously won't have to contend with. 

I wish your daughter much luck!  I have to constantly remind myself that recovery won't happen over night.  It's a process.  And will take some time. 

Liza

Offline wen

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 05:56:49 AM »
Hi,
My son is now 16 yo and was Dx with OCD of med fem condyle at 13.I know you say you have done the conservative route,but, from what I remember reading it may take up to 1 year to heal and children with open growth plates and no loose bodies have a good chance of healing. Wait on the surgery. Where is the OCD lesion? My son was non weightbearing for 6 wks then in a unloader brace for 1 month with PWB. Every 4-6 wks for  and then every 12 wks he gets xrays  where the leison size and depth are measured to see if it is healing.
 Did the doctor order xrays and see that the leison was healed before she went back to sports?Seek another opinion from a  Pediatric orthopedist who specializes in OCD. I think your MD was right in trying the first approach but, maybe he just didn't give it enough time.
Google OCD in children.
Good luck,
Wen

Offline HaileySweetheart

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 03:22:50 AM »
I'm soo sorry to hear about your daughter. I am 16, and play basketball. It was my life! I have to miss my junior year of bball, and my college playing days are over.
I had an OCD lesion, which i went into surgery for on June 24th. They put 3 screws in, whic will disolve eventually. I am just about to my 8 week pos-op mark. At the 6 week mark, he allowed me to use a walking motion, but only apply 5 pounds to my leg.  I go in for an x-ray  on the 23rd, in which he said the following 2 weeks i will be weaning off of crutches if everything looks good on the xray.
This has been an extremly difficult time for me, and I'm sure it has been for your daughter.
A little advice is is to not rush things and let them heal as well as possible. Do eveerything the doctor says and when PT comes along, is to do everything they say.
 I wish her the best of luck! (: