Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Rotational Osteotomy of Tibia not healing  (Read 18395 times)

Offline ArielF

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: Rotational Osteotomy of Tibia not healing
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2009, 05:37:23 PM »
Hi Agee,
Did you recieve the PM I sent this morning? 

a

Offline Alyce

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
  • Pain is inevitable. Misery is optional.
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2009, 06:06:50 PM »
 Hi Ariel,

Yes, I did.  Thank you so much.  I have to run errands with my daughter drivng me, but will email when I return.

Thanks,
Aree
Patella shaving & Lateral Release 6/2002
Reattachment of Lateral Retinaculum & Microfracture 6/2003.
Both procedures failed.  Reattachment was successful.
Lesion remains 15mm x 9mm x 6mm
Tibial rotational osteotomy May 2009
LPFL rebuild May 2009
Surgery for Baja Patella February 2010

Offline jumpi5d

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2009, 09:10:16 AM »
So, I guess its finally my turn to get to hurt. Its 3am and I'm awake for the 4th night in a row. My leg hurts :( right where the plate is. This is a big first for me to hurt like this. I've taken more meds in the last week than I did the week after surgery.  Hopefully this is just a funk I'm stuck in...I need more sleep than this! Last night and the night before were 5am before I slept. Ugh

Sorry for the rant!!! You guys are the only ones that honestly understand.

xoxo
Paige
-Paige

3/5/09 Right Distal Femoral Osteotomy for Patella Alignment 
11/19/09 Left DFO for Patella Alignment.

Offline Alyce

• Regular Poster
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2009, 03:39:35 PM »

Hi Paige,

I am so sorry that you are experiencing such pain for so long.  Can you pin point what you did, or do you think it's part of the healing process.  If I go more than one night without sleep, I get really depressed.  Are you able to sleep in or take naps?

Do the meds help?  Maybe you could take them right at bedtime, so that you could fall asleep. 

I hate taking the small amount of Darvocet, but I know that if I'm in pain; I won't heal.

Sending you some zzzzzzzzz's.
Aree
LPFL rebuild May 2009

Offline jumpi5d

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2009, 04:58:51 PM »
Hey!!!

It's not that its been so long it just so random to start hurting at 5 months post op! I've just been doing to much. My IT band was tight before surgery and now theres a plate under it so I'm sure that has something to do with it.   I haven't been sleeping much.  I've taken meds hoping that I'd fall asleep but I don't I just lay there wide awake for hours.  Usually fall asleep around 5 am. Get up around 10. Which is so not enough sleep for me.  I've been trying not to take naps so that I'd fall asleep earlier. It isn't working haha.

Mom thinks some of it might be still from the sunburn and maybe a little sun poisoning.  I dunno my legs have been bothering me even some during the day and I can't seem to get comfortable at night.

How are you doing besdies not sleeping either?

xoxo
Paige
-Paige

Offline Alyce

• Regular Poster
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2009, 11:18:59 PM »
Hi Paige,

I'm really frustrated!  I can take maybe 20 steps with one crutch, but then my knee hurts the rest of the day.  Today, I couldn't even do that.  My tibia is not healing.  Tomorrow it will be 3 1/2 months.  I'm checking into a bone stimulator, but don't know if I'll get a script for it.  My leg stays purple unless I'm on the couch.  I feel as though I'm doing all the right things, and still I'm slow healing.  I talked to Dr. T. last week, and hope to follow up with him this week. 

It's hard living so far away.  I would like him to take a look at the swelling, etc.    I am realizing that I'm going to go through a lot of pain to accomplish walking, let alone, driving, stairs, and everything else.

I didn't go to church today, because I'm tired of people asking me why I'm still on crutches.  I know they mean the best, but it's irritating.

I'm sorry to vent, but I can't talk to anyone in my family.  They are sick of my knee.

Your Mom might be right about the sun poisoning.  In Hawaii, we went snorkeling, and I missed putting sunscreen on the back of one whole leg!!!  OMG!  It stayed red and swollen.  I thought I had a DVT from the long plane ride.  It stayed that way for at least 3 weeks.  I bought an aloe plant, and would slice open a stake, and put it on my leg.  It was the only thing that helped.  I had a hard time sleeping because even the sheet hurt.  Hope it doens't hurt that long for you.

Thanks for keeping in touch.  It's a long road.  I'm glad that I'm not on it alone.

Aree
xoxo
LPFL rebuild May 2009

Offline Mike1968

• Forum Faithful
  • Just hoping for some relief!
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2009, 12:13:12 AM »
Aree and Paige,

I am sorry to hear of your pain!  A great deal of my pain after the ACI/HTO I had was due to the failing plates.  I did not realize this until almost a full YEAR after the surgery.  I thought things were just normal and that they would go away but they did not.  The OS that just did my TKR 7 weeks ago was the one to point out the possibility of my plates failing about a year ago.  Turns out they WERE failing.  Not only was the pain from the bone/bone pain but the plate fail as well.  That is what led (the plates failing) to the bone/bone pain.  It was all interrelated.

A side not for both of you.....if you are not sleeping have you asked your doctors about using a sleep medication?  The reason I bring this up is because I was not sleeping at all even with the pain medication.  The frustrating thing was even though the pain meds made me drowsy, I could get to the point of just falling asleep and then I would get an increase in pain that just simply prevented going back to that state (drowsy point).

I was prescribed two types of sleep meds.  The first was ambien.  This worked very well and I could get up to 6 hours pre TKR.  I was then put on Lunesta.  That did not work well and has a NASTY side affect of making things taste like you are sucking on a handfull of pennies.  It is gross.  Made my drink of choice (lemonade) taste so badly I could not drink it.  I was then placed back on the Ambien.  The good thing is that it really helps me fall asleep for a decent amt of time.....unfortunately if I get a random "spike" of pain, I am up for a good while.

Sleep is REQUIRED for you to heal properly.  If you folks are NOT getting the sleep you need you should certainly talk to your doctors about it.  There are side affects with any drug and sleep aids are not something to be taken lightly.  I can tell you from my standpoint if I did NOT have them to get some semblance of sleep, I would be going crazy.

I wish you both the best and I am sending you both some herds of "Sleep Sheep" to count and help you get some much needed rest!

Regards,

Mike :)

83-Osgood Schlatters in both knees
90-left knee ACL repair
03-left knee ACL revision (hamstring graft)
04-left knee ACL revision (cadaver graft)
06-left knee arthroscopy
06-left knee ACI and High Tibial Osteotomy
30 June 2009 - Left Knee Total Knee Replacement

Offline jumpi5d

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2009, 01:07:07 AM »
Aree!! You can ALWAYS talk to me. Did you get the PM I sent you the other day??? I ment what I said.

*hugsssss* I was only on crutches for 9 weeks and I was sick of people asking. There were a few times that I really wished I lived closer. It would make things easier. Do you have a doctor at home thats doing follow up or are you going to MI for all of it like I was?

My sun burn was from a few weeks ago, its not anything current and it doesn't hurt anymore.  I'm just drained. I think the combo of surgery and sunburn and being busy has caught up with me.

xoxoxo
Paige

Mike.  It's just been recently that I've been having issues sleeping. I'm over 5 months post-op. I have another surgery on the other leg coming up in Nov.  I haven't had any real pain issues until the last week. I think its all tendonitis cause by everything rubbing on the plate.
-Paige

Offline ArielF

• Regular Poster
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2009, 03:56:15 AM »
Hi All,

Sounds rough all around.  Sleep is frequently an issue.  I personally use benadryl.  It works is safe and is not habit forming.  It isn't perfect.  Like Mike every once in a while the pain wakes me up but that is not what keeps me up for the next couple of hours. 

Paige does your knee feel better yet? Do you think that you had over done it? Did you do anything new/different?  Was it gradual? Have you tried ice?  I hope you get a good night's sleep tonight.  There is nothing worse than being exhaused and not being able to get a good chunk of sleep.  I work nights and frequently can only snatch an hour or 2 before it is time to get things done.  It can change the way you look at the world.  If it continues you may want to call your primary for a prescription just to get you out of this cycle.  Wishing you sweet dreams.

Aree, please listen to your body.  It's saying "20 steps with one crutch is too much".   It will get better but reallly not on anyones schedule.  I really get how frustrating it is.  I over did my PT and had a lot of pain my husband asked me "how much longer is this going to last?" God knows. I am 24 weeks post op and still have bone pain.  It helps me to look back a few weeks and recognize the progress that I have made.   Once you are a slow healer it seems like life is put on hold.  You can't rush healing and you may just hurt yourself.  Are you still icing? I had to start up again when I started PT.  It helps with the pain and swelling.  Sending you Huge Hugs and understanding.

Ariel

Offline jumpi5d

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2009, 06:09:30 AM »
Hey Ariel! My knee its self feels amazing. It's very very stable and feels great in general. I've been doing a whole lot lately. I came back from MI a few weeks ago with the okay to have a life again. (until Nov.) So, I've been crazy busy.  It wasn't gradual. I have my own photography studio and it got busy very quickly. Ice makes my leg hurt quiet a bit. The plate gets cold then the bone hurts. My normal time to fall asleep is 1 or 2 so 5 is only a few ours later it's just aggervaiting. I usually do take benedryl if I need it but I ran out. Thats what they gave me in the hospital.

-Paige
-Paige

Offline jumpi5d

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2009, 10:10:59 AM »
This should answer your question about tonight. Ugh!!! 4 am and I still can't sleep. Even after benedryl and norco!!

blehhhh

I hope you guys slept good enough for me too.
-Paige

Offline Alyce

• Regular Poster
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2009, 04:16:33 PM »
Hi Ariel,

Thanks for the reminder that I need to listen to my body.  It's so frustrating to be doing all the right things, and still see little improvement.  24 weeks!  How have you managed that?  You are right about family members not understanding.

I spoke with the Exogen rep today, and of coure it's complicated.  Since my surgery was in MI, but a local OS is following me, she doesn't want to invade someone else's territory.  I don't know how helpful she'll be.  She was urging me to have the GA doc write a script, but that's not how it works.  I wouldn't do anything that my MI doc didn't approve.

For sleep I use Lunesta or Sonata.  I usually have 1 or 2 nights when I can't fall asleep.  It's not because of pain, but worrying.  Paige, I'm sorry that you had another sleepless night.  Have you tried melatonin?  It's a natural substance that helps your circadian rhythms.  You can find it at most health food stores.

I'm hoping I hear from Teitge this week.

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences and staying in touch.

Aree

Thanks for keeping in touch.
LPFL rebuild May 2009

Offline ArielF

• Regular Poster
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2009, 12:30:24 AM »
Hi Aree,

Yeah almost 6 months.  It is hard to think of how long it has been. There was snow on the ground when this started!  I like to think of myself as pretty tough but this is really the most painful and disruptive thing I have ever done.  If it lasted only 6 weeks healing and 10 weeks recovery it would have been OK.  Out of work for 4 months seemed like forever before this started.  I am estimating 8 months when this is all over.  PT says he is guessing mid October.  I am afraid to get my hopes up for mid October it feels safer to estimate longer then I won't be so dissapointed if it goes longer.  It has been hard to parent while I am so absorbed with recovering (or not).  A friend said to me it must be great to be home from work, I can spend all that time with the children and monitor homework.  I really couldn't tell him that I spent most of my days writhing in agony.  Not much time to check spelling.   

Offline ArielF

• Regular Poster
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2009, 12:44:21 AM »
Hi Aree,

I didn't mean to send that yet.  Is it possible to have both doctors write the script? That way it would cover any troubles that may arise.  Dr T didn't get back to you?  Does he have an assistant? Sometimes with the busy ones have trouble getting back to you.  My previous OS would have time while he was waiting between surgeries for pressing only-the-surgeon-can-answer-questions.  Otherwise I could wait weeks for that man to get back.  Is the GA OS on board with the stimulator? Could he collaborate with Dr T? Sometimes we have to be creative and persistant. 

Good luck! 

Ariel

Offline Alyce

• Regular Poster
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2009, 03:02:38 PM »
Hi Ariel,

Thanks again for sharing your experience.  So what do you take for pain after PT?  I can't ice, because once the plate gets cold, it's agonizing, and doesn't go away.  I totally understand when you say you never thought  it would take 8 months.  I thought I would be doing the polka at 3 months!

Once I overcome this it will be the toughest battle I've faced.  I'll send you a PM later and give you my email.  I have not led an easy life.

I emailed Dr. T. begging for the bone stimulator.  The GA rep. said that Dr. B, in Atlanta will "readily approve the Exogen."  I'm hoping this is the case.  I have Dr. T.'s cell phone, but use it for emergency only.  The rep. is going to contact him as well.  I don't want to force his hand, but he's not the one who hasn't driven for 3 1/2 months, or done simple tasks for my family.  It's hard not to feel like a burden.

I'm glad that you are doing better.  I bet you never thought you'd be dying to go back to work!

I'll write as soon as I can.  Today is busy.

Aree
LPFL rebuild May 2009