Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ACL reconstruction, meniscus repair and micro fracture  (Read 5853 times)

Offline Hope12

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
ACL reconstruction, meniscus repair and micro fracture
« on: July 29, 2009, 11:54:26 PM »
had all this done 7 weeks ago, anyone been in the same situation? im finding it very frustrating that the micro fracture has put me back 6 weeks (as i have been non weight bearing) and i am really struggling with getting my leg straight so i can start trying to walk without my crutches! i am determined and have been doing my exercises, i would just like to hear other peoples stories of how you coped with your recovery and how long it took you to get back to general day to day things?

Offline hurtinbad

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: ACL reconstruction, meniscus repair and micro fracture
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 12:48:25 AM »
hang in there, sorry to hear it. I'm going in for allograft transplantation soon ( replacing cartilage and bone)  and will be in the same boat with no weigjht bearing fror six weeks then lots of rehab, hope to hear that yours gets better sooner rather then later. keep me posted.

Offline clarky_vl

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 12:59:27 AM »
Hi,
My first surgery was an ACL reconstruction, removal of most of my lateral meniscus, and microfracture of the lateral femoral condyle. All these additional injuries you had and the procedures you had as a result will definitely slow things down, and yes it is frustrating, but hang in there, hopefully it will all be worth it. I can't really remember how long it took me to get back to day to day things, quite a while, it was very slow. Are you having any specific problems that you ae worried about, other than the extension. Do you know what measurements your ROM is at?

Oops I accidentally posted before I was ready! Just wanted to add that you could try looking on the cruciates board, meniscus board, and maybe the post op diaries section which might also give you the experiences of people who have had the microfracture? You have had all three, so don't compare yourself to anyones recovery, but they would be good at just giving you an idea about everything...

Well done on your determination and your rehab so far-keep going!!

Vicky
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 01:05:11 AM by clarky_vl »
11/10/07 ACLr-hamstring, lat meniscectomy, microfracture
29/7/08 ACL revision-hamstring/LARS
7/7/09 ACL revision-quad/LARS
20/2/10 Screws out, bone grafts, arthroscopy.
6/7/10 ACL revision-BPTB allograft
14/3/11 Screws out, bone grafts, arthroscopy.
Then: ACL revision + extra-articular repair

Offline blueberry09

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 11:01:48 PM »
hi there

there are a couple of us over on the acl board at present - myself, and mollyc, we both had acl recon's 7-10 weeks ago and have had extended bracing or nwb which has really slowed the rehab down.  we both have threads on the cruciates forum if you want to have a look, as we are probabaly in a similar situation.

see you about!

x
blue
acl tear skiing end of dec 08
mri - complete ACL rupture, tibial contusions, menisci ok, some plc soft-tissue damage.
ACLr 12th June 09 (hamstring graft)

Offline MegsKorea

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 03:05:21 AM »
I am in a similar situation, but am about 7 months post op.  I had a microfracture to medial femoral condyle and ACL reconstruction using my own hamstring as well as debriment/meniscus repair in early February 2012.  I am still incredibly frustrated with recovery. I walk fairly normal, just recently getting rid of my limp, but going up stairs is still very uncomfortable and I feel a marked difference when it rains as well..much more pain.

I was a jogger and very active and have been totally unable to return to any real physical activity other than the stationary bike I used for PT.  Swimming is possible, but causes quite a bit of pain and some swelling. 

I still ice every night and sometimes elevate when I sleep still, but is this normal 7 months post op?

I'm trying to stay positive and realize that it's a slow recovery, but does anyone have any advice or similar situations?  I have seen some posts saying their Microfracture has failed...I didn't know this was even an option...How do you know when it has failed?  I am living in Korea and went home to the US for surgery, so post op office visits with my own Dr. are not possible. 

I guess my main question is:  How can I differentiate between "normal pain" and recovery and pain that warrants seeing a doctor again. 

Microfracture of medial femoral condyle
ACL reconstruction w/ hamstring autograft
Meniscus repair- ALL Feb. 2012

Offline silverghost

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 04:47:05 PM »
Hi all

Hope, yep its a hard slog isn't it I had 8 weeks non weight bearing as thats how the appointments fell! How many times did you accidentally put ya foot down!!??  Doesn't that really hurt and really worry at the same time!!  Apparently its perfectly normal everybody does they just tell you not too and they know you will occasionally do it by accident!

megskorea

It is concerning that you are still icing after 7 months? Icing is normally for the internal swelling and really the swelling should have subsided within the first 2-3 months.  After this the ice and the elevation may frustrate your leg a bit more... i eased off on the icing and elevation at 2 months after the swelling had reduced and my PT and OS advised that the ice would not really do anything other than give you a cold leg after this time.. Have you queried the swelling with your OS?

'96 ACL reconstruction
'09 Arthroscopy/cartilage repair
Diagnosed with Grade 4 OA no medial cartilage and significant varus alignment
'11 fitted with off loading knee brace
'12 HTO, meniscus transplant, acl reconstruction & microfracture all in 1 go!

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 05:05:08 PM »
I have to disagree with the comment that it's a problem to be icing at seven months out. My PT encouraged me to ice after exercise for as long as I felt I needed it - in fact I still ice occasionally after a particularly hard or unusual workout, and I'm two years out from my reconstruction. Initially you use ice to bring down the internal swelling from the surgery, but as you rebuild strength and test the leg you may see swelling or feel a bit of discomfort after hard workouts and new exercises and it's completely appropriate to ice the leg if this happens. It certainly won't hurt the leg or cause any problems.

Megs - it does sound as though your recovery is very slow. I'm guessing that you were non-weightbearing for a while if you had microfracture? Unfortunately this increases the muscle atrophy and makes it harder to regain strength and get back to normal activities. It's too bad you can't see your OS, but I would strongly recommend getting a good physiotherapist who understands ACL rehabilitation and can help you work on a strengthening program that will help you build strength without stressing the joint. As the muscles that support the knee regain strength, you should find that activities get easier. Unfortunately after seven months, it may take some time for that to happen. A good physiotherapist will also be able to assess how your ACL graft is doing, and whether there are any obvious issues with the microfracture or meniscus repair.

Good luck!
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline silverghost

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 08:10:26 PM »
Sorry Snowy wasn't trying to say icing was bad or anything and i really would encourage it when ever there is swelling...I hope Megs can get to see someone as I agree the rehab needs to be more targeted..

Thanks for your follow up..

SG
'96 ACL reconstruction

Offline MegsKorea

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 01:24:12 AM »
Thank you for the responses..

Snowy, yes my muscle has atrophied terribly.  In addition to being non- weight bearing for 6 weeks post-op, I was on crutches waiting to go to the States for surgery for 4 months- my Korean doctor told me nothing was wrong and that I just needed to give it time to heal on its own.  Skeptical, I sent my MRI to the US and that surgeon told me to come home ASAP to get it repaired. So, I am hoping that because of nearly 6 months with no weight bearing on that leg, it may be normal to be experiencing such a slow recovery. 

I am determined to get my strength up a bit through swimming and light quad exercises-I am going to give it another month of hard work and then see where I'm at. 

As for this micro-fracture failure that people keep talking about...Does this show up on an MRI? How do you know if it's failed?

Thanks guys :)

Microfracture of medial femoral condyle
ACL reconstruction w/ hamstring autograft
Meniscus repair- ALL Feb. 2012

Offline silverghost

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 12:58:01 PM »
Hi Megs

I'm now 4 months post op and struggling too on the muscle build, didnt realise it would take so long. Im going to the gym and doing bike, cross trainer and walking on jogging machines 3 times a week for a good hour at a time and then bending and working the muscles several times each day and still hardly anything muscle tone wise.

I know its getting stronger cos I walked around the golf course about 4 miles the other day and whilst I had a bit of swelling it was still strong afterwards.  It didnt take this long to build muscle last time I had an acl recon but maybe the microfracture depletes it more.

The microfracture surgery I believe is too encourage articular cartilage growth around your femur and tibia, I think that this can go either way either it starts growing or not! Please anyone correct me if this is not the case!

Keep going megs they told me a year rehab at the least so I think we got a way too go yet! Just as a matter of interest whats your rom now and are you still on meds?

SG

'96 ACL reconstruction

support