Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Plica surgery- Slow recovery or cause for concern?  (Read 54744 times)

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 77
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
Re: Plica surgery- Slow recovery or cause for concern?
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2013, 04:20:51 PM »
Hi All.

Soft tissues problems are hard to get right again and not many people know about soft tissue problems and injuries as most people only seems to know about torn meniscus and torn ACL. Soft tissue injuries are just as painful as a torn meniscus and ACL and does restrict your knee movement and often cannot be spotted on an MRI Scan & have to have an exploratory scope as the last option if PT and injections fail.

I did ask my OS on Tuesday if the plica can regrow and said its unlikely and once it’s be removed should not come back again. It took me 18 months to fully recover from my medial plica excision and fat pad trim. I then fell over onto my right operated knee again and having the same problems again.

[email protected]
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline amoxi

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2013, 08:16:45 PM »
Maybe I can quickly contribute with my experience with plica resection.
I had medial and supra-patellar plica removed on 6 March. I walked with crutches for two weeks, at three weeks was able to walk for two kilometres and was able to ride a bicycle after four weeks. At five weeks I still have strength problems on the knee that had been operated as already before the operation I did not use it correctly due to pain. There was no meniscus tear involved in this arthroscopy. Even if the situation is not optimal after five weeks, it is already clear that some difficulties in stairs or even to walk on flat ground have been solved by this operation. I have learned that you have to be patient, give more importance to regain mobility than strength and have fun with any progress you can get. The first two weeks after the operation can be quite painful, especially when you move the knee at knight after some time without moving it.
swolen episodes since 2009
plica mediopatelaris discovered 01.2013
plica resection 03.2013

Offline Edube236

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2014, 07:07:34 PM »
All,

I've wanted to join a forum like this to shine some light on this topic, as I am a licensed physical therapist who just underwent knee surgery for the removal of my medial plica. My knee pain started the about one year ago - medial knee pain that came after a long mountain bike ride.  It was my first ride of the season, it was a hard ride and my bike wasn't set up properly (seat too high).  From there, my last riding season was affected by intermittent ride-stopping knee pain, i.e. there was inflammation that would come and go.   

First thing I did was get my bike fit dialed by a professional, but unfortunately the inflammation cycle started and wasn't easy to break. Recurrent inflammation can cause the formation of painful scar tissue, which in this case it irritated the plica in my knee.  Inflammation is a part of a natural healing process, where there are cells that help form new tissue and cells that break down non-function dead tissue. This process doesn't discontinue if there is repeat irritation, and excessive tissue can be formed.  Our body's respond to imposed stress, so if you are constantly stressing the tissue, more dense and sensitive tissue is formed.

So here I am, 3 days out from my plice removal.  Everything else looked pristine in the my knee joint, so removing the scarred/mechanically irritating tissue should be the fix.  The knee is swollen and stiff (normal for post-op), but I know in a 4-6 weeks it's going to be all good.  Looking back, I wish I knew more about natural anti-inflammatory agents such as Concentrated Tart Cherry Juice.  It has natural antioxidants and anti-inflammatory agents (anthocyans) that help decrease the excessive effects of inflammation. I get the best Montmerency cherries directly from the farm in Michigan (http://kingorchards.com/).  Take a peak at this website: http://www.choosecherries.com/ - there is so much good information on this juice!

IF I could go back, using this product could have kept my inflammation under control and decreased the amount of scar tissue formation, thus causing less pain.  There's no question it's better than taking Ibuprofen and Tyelnol, and it tastes delicious.  It will take commitment; I drink the concentrate 2x/day now.  Invest in your health. 

I went on a daily regimen of the juice before surgery and nothing looking inflammed when they went in!  There was still the extra band of tissue present from the continuously irritated/inflamed stress from cycling, but they removed that!

Let me know if you have any questions. 

Eric, PT, DPT

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2014, 03:50:04 PM »
Hi Eric,

Not heard or come across concentrated tart cherry juice that have a natural anti-inflammatory agents in it, as you can see from my previous posts on this topic have had my medial plica removed in November 2009 and also had my fat pad trimmed. I had a few issues post op with scar tissue build up around the portals.

Once again scheduled for a 2nd exploratory scope for a possible microfracture procedure scheduled in July. I am in favour of using natural supplements if possible, glad that it working for you.

Maybe you could also post in the diet and nutritional supplements section;

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?board=27.0

[email protected]
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair

Offline tiger_knee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2016, 02:54:38 PM »
After my plica removal surgery I searched for "plica removal recovery" on Google and this link is one of the first results. So, I will post my experience here.
I am 39. Past three years with pain in my right knee and one year with pain in my left knee due to very large plicae. Running was not possible and I was not able to walk for long distances without irritating the plicae. MRI exams showed cartilage damage in the medial facet of both pattelas. I tried exercises and physical therapy, with some ups and downs, but in the large picture, it was getting worse.
So I decided to operate. Doctor said it would solve the problem and I would be fine. I had arthroscopic surgery on December 16th 2015 (right knee first, which was in worse shape).
Recovery has been incredible slow. I used crutches for a few days then a cane for 2-3 weeks.
I have been taking physical therapy sessions twice a week since then.
Now, more than two months post-surgery, I expected my knee to be fully healed.
But no. I am a LOT WORSE that I was before surgery. From one week to the other I can feel some minor improvements due to PT, but I am far from what I was before.
My leg does not fully bend and it hurts a lot if I try to. This makes squatting or getting down impossible. If I stand for more than one hour, the synovial membrane hardens and thickens making it even worse to bend the knee.
A large mass (scar tissue?) is left where the plica was removed. The bulge is clear and it interferes with movement of the patella (how will this end up in the future?). The patellar tendon is hurt near the fat pad because of the arthroscopic incisions.
I am able to walk short distances at low speed in plain ground. More than that and I have pain and inflammation. I can still feel my right knee warmer than the left knee, which is a sign of inflammation.
I lost most of the strength of my leg with the knee bent, which makes it impossible to go up or down the stairs. This is the problem that is frustrating me the most. If I try to use the stairs there is a lot of pain and the knee just gives away.
It is hard to stay positive, as will1129 said. My knee is such a mess now and I can only regret my decision for surgery.

Offline cbarton

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2016, 12:34:01 PM »
I had my surgery just over 3 weeks ago (only today found out that it was the removal of my medial plica), however I have been fine with slow jogs of about 100m and light jumping. I can not however, crouch down as that is still quite painful however I am unsure if that is to do with the surgery or the condition itself.

I have still got loads of swelling around the operating area and am wondering if that is normal after this length of time

Help would be great thanks as my surgeon said I'd be back playing rugby 4-5 post op and its been 3 and im not even close

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 454
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2016, 12:50:02 PM »
Realistically you should expect 3 months or longer to recover from keyhole, the small holes belie the trauma your knee has undergone. Surgeons are not gentle especially while you are under GA

Assume you are icing, elevating above your heart, doing Physio etc. Also do not support your leg under the knee only calf and ankle to avoid loss of rom

Everyone recovers differently and no surgeon can predict how you'll do. They tend to err on the optimistic to keep patients positive but these things aren't predictable. I have puffiness around portals after 5 years, it's quite normal to have scar tissue like with any deep cut

If you want to get back to a specific sport, find a good sports Physio with that expertise. Guess you might be in the uk, so you may have to pay privately. Not sure the NHS offers much Physio after straightforward arthroscopy
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 12:51:49 PM by Vickster »
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09 (lat meniscus, lat condyle defect)
LK scopes 8/2/10 & 16/12/10
RK scope 5/2/15 (menisectomy, Hoffa’s fat pad trim)
LK scope 10.1.19 medial meniscectomy, trochlea MFX
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2016, 04:33:00 PM »
I agree with Vicky, it takes a while to get over knee surgery, even minimal invasive keyhole surgery the knee has been through a lot of trauma. I had RK medial plica excision and fat pad trimming in November 2009, followed by AIR surgery in July 2014. I still have tenderness and swelling around the portal that's unlikely to go down completely. There always going to be some scar tissue left post-op, one can never eradicate it 100%.

Three weeks post-op after medial plica excision is still in the very early stages, I would personally not try to do any jogging at 3 weeks post-op, swimming at a gentle pace puts less strain onto your operated knee. Running even 100m at this stage can increase swelling causing excessive scarring! I would attempt running at around 6 weeks post-op. My PT told me to go to the gym and to swim, I should start running again later on post-op. I am saying this from my own personal experiences that doing too much too soon can jeopardise your surgery, restricting your mobility long term!

Good luck with your recovery program and returning back to rugby once again.

[email protected]

Offline kokooko

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2017, 01:59:16 AM »
I had plica removal and a lateral release of a muscle about 6 or 7 months ago and I just started getting a lot of pain, i'm wearing a knee brace again, I still can't run without crying and i'm not a big crier. I hope you don't experience the same pain.
[/quote]

Offline kokooko

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2017, 02:02:05 AM »
I had surgery about 6 or 7 months ago and was doing fine I still couldn't run and I just started experiencing a lot of pain, i'm hoping I just irritated it wearing heels but if not I wonder if it's something more.

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2017, 09:42:14 PM »
Hi There,

7 months post-op is still very early days, it can take over a year to fully recover again. Your knee has been through a lot of trauma. Your quad muscles will take time to build up again that can be very tight and knotted. I tried intramuscular stimulation IMS or dry needling.

http://www.activesportstherapy.ca/intra-muscular-stimulation/

You will know when the needle hits a trigger point and a knotted muscles shouting or screaming a few swear words. It is like having a leg cramp that quickly subsides.

It helped me get back to running 18 months post-op after medial plica excision and fat pad trimming. Swimming also helped greatly. A gait analysis by a sport physiotherapist or sports medicine doctor will help reduce knee pain and tightness. Without the tightness the knee pain is greatly reduced.

Scar tissue is another problem with my right knee and have not been able to run since January 2013. I have chronic patella tendonitis! All conservative treatments have failed, I am now waiting be referred back to my OS.

Your might have muscle tightness and imbalance rather than scarring from the surgery and need to give your knee time to fully recover before attempting to run again. It also common to have bone bruising that can take over a year plus to fully recover. It is hard to hold back and not do things you enjoy doing physically when the knee will not allow it. It is tempting and easy to overdo it and then pay a high price with permanent damage to the knee.

[email protected]

Offline Sam1983

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #56 on: December 24, 2017, 11:40:42 PM »
Hello Will,
I see this post is many years old but I would like to ask how you’ve been doing since the surgery. I had surgeries in both knees to remove plica (5 and 8 weeks ago). I am also experiencing slow recovery. From your last comment I see that even one year after surgery you were still experiencing pain. How are you doing now? Did you finally get any better? What were your symptoms and how did your dr explain your pain if pain was caused by the plica and the plica was removed?
I know this post is long but I would highly appreciate your feedback.
Thank you,