Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Plica surgery- Slow recovery or cause for concern?  (Read 54732 times)

Offline sarbah77

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: Plica surgery- Slow recovery or cause for concern?
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2009, 08:47:54 PM »
Mine did grow back.  I've had it removed twice.  Trust me; not my idea of a good time, either!
-Sarah

11/16/10 - plate removal, FINALLY
4/5/10 - no, really, crutch-free
2/1/10 - crutch-free!?
10/13/09 - HTO opening wedge
6/26/09 - arthroscopic plica removal
4/06 - Synvisc/cortisone injections
7/5/05 - arthroscopic plica removal & surprise microfracture

Offline ZealotAssasin

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2009, 02:18:56 AM »
I figure I'll share my own story of plica surgery.

First off, I'm a runner and did a good amount of it before my injury for a good 4 years.  Around Oct. 2008, I went to see the MD for knee pain.  They took X-Rays and MRI's and found that I had torn my PCL and damaged my medial meniscus in my left knee.  MD gave me a prescription for PT and I went and tried to increase hip flexibility, vastus medialis strength.  I stuck with it for 2 months until I realized it wasn't working and asked the MD about possible surgery options.  He recommended a PCL reconstruction or arthroscopy.  I opted for the arthroscopy for meniscus repair on Jan. 2009 and similar to some others, came out of the operating room with some plica removed.  My medial meniscus was apparently perfectly good.

After the surgery, my knee was stiff, but I went to PT again after a month, and then switched to another PT for insurance reasons.  I could walk but with a slight limp and there was still no way I could run at all.  In April 2009(3 months after the surgery), I figured PT wasn't doing much anymore so I stopped.  At this point, I was cycling for a good 40-50 min a day or aquajogging in the pool.  My tibia shifts back and forth due to my lack of a PCL and I felt pain in my medial knee side if I bent down.

Then in May 2009, I decided to start lifting (squats/lunges/deadlifts) to increase the strength in my legs.  I went to the gym 3 days a week and improved my lifts.  In mid-July I tried running for the 1st time for about 5 minutes.  I did it on the treadmill, but it didn't hurt as badly.

Fast forward to now (10 months after the surgery) and I've been running anywhere from 50-60 minutes a day.  However I hyperextend my knee everytime I land on my left leg.  There's still a hitch in my stride when I walk, as well as when I run.  ALthough it has gotten better since pre-op, I want to fix the imbalance in my left leg because I still apparently have a weak left quad compared to my right during eccentric exercises.

Whew, that was long... might have forgotten stuff, but will let you know if I remember any.       

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 77
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2009, 07:18:12 PM »
Hi I am glad I found this discussion about plica surgery as I had some work done on my medial plica on Monday morning and dont know what my OS did until I see him for follow up consultation on 29th December. The Hospital did not arrange for me to see a physio as they think I dont need to see one but would like to have seen one as knee swollen and ROM not great. Also had fat pad trimmed as well as work on the medial plica and was expecting to see a physio for advise as I will be going back to the gym in a few weeks time and like to know what I can and cannot do at the gym. In the end I phoned my GP so he can arrange for me to see a Physio at my local Physio Centre which is less then a mile from my flat so is closer then the Hospital.

I feel it would benefit me seeing an Physio, has any other members seen a physio after plica surgery as its so important to do PT after surgery but was not given an excercise sheet at the hospital so had to phone them up to send me an excercise sheet. I just like some advise and guidance from a physio so he/she can give me a program to do at the gym once I am fit enough to go back.

Nick :) {2009} :)
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline NadiaMac

• Regular Poster
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2009, 07:58:26 PM »
I had my medial plica removed 3.5 weeks ago, along with lateral meniscus trim and some chondroplasty.  I was interested in est06's description of medial snapping, because I too have medial snapping while cycling-- new since the surgery.  It's making me kind of apprehensive, since it seems like something that could lead to soreness, kind of like ITB-syndrome (but on the other side of the knee, of course). 

Est06, if you are still reading, did your doc identify what structure is snapping?  Is your knee still inflamed, such that the snapping could be a consequence of inflammation?  Do you experience irritation from the snapping or in the area of the snapping?

I must admit that I feel somewhat equivocal about my plica removal. I did not have plica pain before the surgery, but OS said that it was enormous and rigid/scarred, so he removed it as it was possibly a source of pain.  Plica recovery seems like it can be a bit protracted.  I'm kind of unhappy about the whole snapping thing.
4/09 MTB crash, severe patellar impact. MRI cleanish, but lots of pain
6/09 start PT, cortisone, synvist
10/23/09 scope: medial plica excision, lateral meniscectomy, chondroplasty

Offline will1129

• Regular Poster
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2009, 03:27:33 AM »
Ok so I had another one of my "setbacks" doing machine squats at the gym a few weeks ago. The knee was doing pretty well at that point, but now its back to popping and causing discomfort. (I'm 7 months removed from surgery at this point)

I'm not doing any more damage to my knee by overexertion right? (The surgeon said this isn't possible, but just want to make to sure)

Are these temporary setbacks due to overexertion going to delay my eventual full recovery from this surgery?
Deeply regret having knee surgery...hoping it can be fixed.

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2009, 10:28:28 AM »
I had my plica and fat pad removed on 16th November 2009 and never thought it would take so long for knee to get back to normal again. I am not very happy as the moment as I cannot work on the golf course as I am a Greenkeeper and need to be able to do physical jobs but my knee too painful and swollen still so my GP signed me off sick till the 29th December when I go back and see my consultant Mr Green.

I cannot squat at the moment on kneel down as I feel pressure around knee cap and pain on the medial side if I try and make myself squat or kneel down. I know its still early days after surgery but knee not improving much at the moment and my knee was better off before my surgery and no regret I had the surgery as I am on statutory sick pay and have a mortgage and flat to run as well as a car and could do with full pay this month with Christmas fast approaching.

I miss going to the gym 3 times a week but feel my knee too swollen and sore to use any of the machines and will ask my Physio what he thinks I should be doing at the gym when I see him on Monday.

I never thought I would be off work for this long was signed off for 2 weeks to begin with but my GP advised me to take even more time off work and he should knows best and must do as he says.

16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair

Offline leigh

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2009, 06:36:51 PM »
Hi everyone! I'm new here. I've been reading this post and feel right at home. I had plica surgery 4 months ago on my left knee (first surgery ever) and am still having pain and stiffness. My OS told me at 6 weeks post op that I should be healed. He was concerned and sent me to PT. I have been going to PT for two months now. I don't know if it is helping me. From what I am reading it takes a LONG time for the plica to heal. I'm really concerned because my doctor didn't tell me anything like that. He said I had a healthy knee but it doesn't feel healthy. I've been contemplating stopping the PT and exercising on my own. Anybody else have my situation?

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2009, 03:21:41 PM »
Hi Leigh,

I am 6 weeks post up tomorrow so had it done lator then you but have not seen any vast improvements as knee still swollen and painful and feel tight and painful at bottom of kneecap each time I bend it 90 degrees. I have only read negative posts about plica removals and maybe its might have been better to have left the plica as most people seem to have problems after surgery months afterwards.

My OS also told me my knee was healthy before my surgery but found problems when going in and do not do as much physio as my PT asked me to do as knee becomes too painful. Its good to do some PT even if it hurts a bit but do not overdo it as knee becomes more stable with strong leg muscles if you keep your quad muscles strong.

Pin2Ride

« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2009, 06:03:36 PM »
Hi everyone ,

I had 2 months and half Post-op , My knee get better so far then i thought. 

But if i have sit-down to the ground  such as  sit-down to play with my dog or had to sit- down to do somethings, it will be painful  not much but it can make inflaming on my knee after that..

I've tried to find out  why my knee still less pain and hot like inflammable  all the week, I got figure out it by now.    :D

Cause of it all , I shouldn't  to sit -down too much  :P   it's not good moving  and force my knee had  inflaming.

After I had figure out it , The knee get better so much  no more pain  no hot anymore.

I'm very glad with the result of surgery be successful..

Hope everyone will be better soon ..

PS. I will to see my OS at the begin of next month, i can't wait for it !   :o

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2009, 02:23:00 PM »
Hi Pin,

Glad your knee is starting to improve after your surgery and brings hope for us all who had our plica removed. Not long now till you see your OS again and its good you are looking forward to it, I am sure he will be able to help you out.

Happy New Year and hope 2010 will be a good year for you.

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2010, 04:08:50 PM »
Hi All,

Wanted to ask all the members that have posted on this thread how their recovery is going since they had their plica surgery. I am over 7 months post op and my knee feels worse now then it did pre op. I am finding it hard to fully squat without feeling pain behind the knee and bottom of the knee on the medial side. I cannot really kneel down without feeling the same type of pain when squatting.

I keep getting told it takes time to recovery from medial plica excision but so far have not really felt any benefits and have kept op top of my physio. I still cannot begin to run which I was hoping to do again, which was one of the main reasons having the scope done.

I am seeing my OS again next week Tuesday and will tell him my knee feels worse off now then it did pre op and really want to be able to run again.

Not convinced my knee will get better over a period of time and had no problems squatting and kneeling pre op, but now cannot do it post op and now wish I never had the surgery done, if I knew the consequences it would bring!

Nick :) {2010} :)

Offline will1129

• Regular Poster
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2010, 10:08:51 PM »
Ah, I forget about this thread. Turns out my worries last summer were correct; my surgery has been a complete disaster...over one year out and I'm a LOT worse than I was before surgery.

I have condromalica in both knees now (the other from overcompensating) and a snapping in my hip, also from overcompensating. The operated knee now pops and cracks constantly, and feels like a mess. Forget running, I can't even walk around or bend over/squat normally anymore. I pretty much wake up every day wishing I could go back and cancel the surgery. Or I'm praying everything can still return to normal one, but I doubt it. I had hope until I was a year removed from surgery, but it's obvious the damage is permanent now. I think I screwed up my life pretty bad going through with this.

And to make it worse, my Mom, who was urging me not to get the surgery last year, developed cancer last fall. She's gone through two major surgeries and chemo since then, so I feel like a complete a-hole for not listening to her, and for feeling bad about what I've been going through when she's been going through something a lot worse.

Sorry to be so negative, but it's been a tough year. I just want to have my old body back. I want to wake up from this nightmare.

But I really hope everyone else who had this surgery can recover better. 
Deeply regret having knee surgery...hoping it can be fixed.

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2010, 12:16:49 PM »
Hi Will,

Thanks for replying back and sorry your knee is worse off since having had the same type of surgery as I have had. Sorry to hear about your Mom and do not blame yourself for not listening to her as I was also told by others not to have the surgery but decided to have it done anyway. My OS even told me not to have my knee scoped but was really desperate to be able to run again.

I only have myself to blame really as I was advised to leave the knee as it was but thought the scope would get rid of the knee pain and catching but 7 months down the line my knee has not really improved. I think I may also have chondromalacia or tracking problems in my right knee and hope my OS can figure out whats wrong with my knee on Tuesday.

I can squat to a certain extent but get to a stage when the knee feels tight with pain at the back and bottom of the knee. The surgery I had was a waste of time and has not really helped solve my knee problems.

Enjoy the weekend.

Nick  :) {2010} :)

Offline charleyb

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2013, 03:50:40 PM »
I had a knee arthroscopy in June last year, they found a medial plica in my left knee. For 2 weeks after surgery, I had crutches, 2 weeks after surgery I was back at college. Throughout my recovery period I did slow exercise to build my srength back up. 10 days after surgery I had my stitches removed. 1 month after i had 2 very pink scars. After 3 months i began running, getting into it slowly thouh. Now 6 months on I have full strength and only slight pain when it is very cold. I am now waiting for my other knee to be done.  Being an Athlete, I found the zurgery benefitial and by 5 mo ths I had fully recovered, althouh the first month was where I had to be patient. Any questions about surgery, I am happy to answer :)

Offline mbfalls

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2013, 12:10:55 AM »
Glad to find this thread.... had surgery one week ago, thought it was torn meniscus, turned out to be the plica.  Removed the plica.  I felt good at first - didn't need crutches but kept it iced and elevated for about 4 days.  Yesterday and today I walked on it for about an hour, and it is incredibly uncomfortable.  A little swollen and some heat on knee.  should I be staying off it longer?  Was hoping to go back to work this coming Monday.  Doctor didn't give any specific instructions.  thanks!  MB