Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Plica surgery- Slow recovery or cause for concern?  (Read 54737 times)

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 26
  • How 'bout them Cowboys!
    • Derotation osteotomy & TTT Post-op diary
Re: Plica surgery- Slow recovery or cause for concern?
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2009, 01:31:26 PM »
I hope both of you see improvements in your knees soon. It's completely anectodal, but I definitely was better after my plica excision surgery and although it took up to a year (and more) for my knee to get back to feeling mostly "normal" it was definitely better than before the surgery. Like I said before, everyone is different, but at the same time, I've decided after my plica surgery that inflamed plicae don't necessary have to be the root cause of a person's knee problems, they are more like a symptom of a greater problem (in my non-expert opinion). Long of it short, I would pay close attention to what is going on. Don't get alarmed or worry about "failed" surgery, but just proceed with caution and if things don't improve consider getting a second opinion. The knee, for all of its non-complexity of operation, is quite complex to fix when things are out of whack.
Mar '07 - plica excision
Oct '09 - femoral + tibial derotational osteotomy & TTT
Aug '10 - hardware removal
"You control your leg. Don't let it control you." -Smart trainer
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

Offline will1129

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2009, 04:46:13 AM »
Hi est,

At the end of September I was four months removed from surgery and my knee was feeling pretty good, I'd say about 90% back to normal. However, after playing a game of basketball to "test" how far I could go in exercising, I actually irritated it again and now it's bothering me a bit. It seems that any kind of impact on the knee causes inflammation for a while, and also some popping on the outside of my knee, where the scar tissue was removed.

So, the pattern for me is if I don't exercise for a couple weeks it will feel good, then I get a bit overzealous at the gym and try to run on it or play sports, and I end up irritating it. Haha I actually wrote a post it note to myself that says "When you're knee feels good again DO NOT run around or play sports." So next time I think I'm just going to ride the exercise bike.

At this point it has finally settled in that I cannot do any type of impact on knee until it is truly 100%. If this takes six months, eight months, a whole year than so be it. I'm still encouraged by the progress I had in late September.
Deeply regret having knee surgery...hoping it can be fixed.

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2009, 02:20:32 PM »
I remember a get together with my friends long while after my plica surgery. I had returned to bowling and the rest of my life as normal. I can't say how many months it was post op, but it was at least 5 because i had my surgery in march and this outing it was cold outside again. Anyway, we played dance dance revolution. that is the game where you have a dance mat and you have to step on the arrows as indicated on screen. well, let's just say after 1 hour of that, the next morning my knee was a little swollen, but more importantly, it had the feeling it had like i was back 3 weeks post op and going to physical therapy. The feeling I'd get after walking a while on a harder surface. The feeling when you put pressure on the leg. In my mind, I was like 95% healed and never thought about my knee anymore by then. But 1 hour of intermittent "dancing" reminded me that I still wasn't ok. I made sure to watch walking/running on hard surfaces after that.
Mar '07 - plica excision
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

Offline will1129

• Regular Poster
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2009, 05:51:05 PM »
Yeah it sucks, because your feels like its ready for exercise, but the next day it says "maybe we shouldn't have..."

Anyways, cranker how long did it take until the knee was truly 100% and you able to run around again without any problems. (If it did return to 100% for you  :-\)

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2009, 09:37:49 PM »
I can't quite remember when I started running with no problem. I didn't do much running back then. I was more of a gym exerciser than sports lover, thanks to years of knee pain. At some point I began sprinting on the treadmill though, and that didn't give me any problem. That was maybe 1 year post-op, maybe even a bit less. But I would say I could have probably ran before that, I just didn't try--running isn't my thing.

As far as for me to never feel the effects of surgery on my knee, not even a little tiny bit, that was a like a year. For a while my knee would still get stiff after sitting through, say, a movie and if i did say a deep squat or full extension while weight bearing, like hyperextension, that was bad. That took a year to finally go away. I still have pangs in full extension (hyperextension for me) even now, but I remedy that by hyperextending on the foam roller in the gym. I think its more from never working through that full range of motion because in physical therapy they always had me stop before hyperextending because, well, you're not supposed to hyperextend when exercising. Now that I've realized it still bothersome, I work it out on the foam roller 2-3 times a week just because.
Mar '07 - plica excision

Offline will1129

• Regular Poster
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2009, 06:23:45 AM »
Cranker- thanks for your replies. It's good to hear that you eventually recovered fully. I'm now riding the stationary bike at the gym, and doing some light weight-lifting, and that doesn't bother my knee too much. Just have to focus on patience now, I'm willing to give it a year if that's what it will take.

Offline wHATcOLOR

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2009, 01:17:42 AM »
hi all.  i came across this thread via google.  i had arthroscopic surgery to remove plica from my knee well over 3 years ago and never really got back to normal.  i'm still unable to run.  (used to be fine w/ 3 - 8 miles a day, now can't go more than 1/4 mile).  surgery didn't bring any improvement.  there might be something else going on, but i'm reluctant to get it checked, since the first one didn't go so well.  also, i had a hard time taking care of basic things like grocery shopping after a knee surgery.

hope you all experience full recoveries!

Pin2Ride

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2009, 06:35:16 PM »
Thanks for sharing experience.

I had arthroscopic surgery to remove plica from my left knee in 3 weeks ago.. I was on crutches for 2 weeks and then I can walk normal only 75% for now..

I've research to worry the return of plica,  The doctor said it's not gonna back again but my right knee have a little bit of plica.. so sadd..

I won't get to  OR room again , it was nightmare of my life.

Thanks for this space !    Hope everyone full recovery !

Offline sarbah77

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2009, 06:44:35 PM »
They can grow back.  Mine sure did!  I've had it removed twice, to my OS dismay.

However, I was only on crutches ~1 week (and a cane for another week or so) after my most recent plica removal.  I never - for either - got back to better than before surgery, due to the arthritic damage that was also discovered.
-Sarah

11/16/10 - plate removal, FINALLY
4/5/10 - no, really, crutch-free
2/1/10 - crutch-free!?
10/13/09 - HTO opening wedge
6/26/09 - arthroscopic plica removal
4/06 - Synvisc/cortisone injections
7/5/05 - arthroscopic plica removal & surprise microfracture

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2009, 09:03:06 PM »
My old OS said the plica wouldn't come back too. Well, he said it was very very very very unlikely. But I researched on my own and literature suggests it can grow back and of course there are people on here who have had it removed more than once.

That being said, I think the reincidence of an inflamed plica is actually pretty unlikely, although not impossible. I didn't worry too much about it, I was more concerned with finding out why removing that stubborn piece of tissue didn't fix my knee problems, and lo and behold, that was because that silly plica wasn't my root problem.
Mar '07 - plica excision

Offline sarbah77

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2009, 09:05:54 PM »
I was more concerned with finding out why removing that stubborn piece of tissue didn't fix my knee problems, and lo and behold, that was because that silly plica wasn't my root problem.

I guess I was lucky! My surgeon made a point to look around while he was in there and we knew, when I came out of surgery, that it wasn't the root problem.  Of course, there's the fact that it took about 15 years to get anyone to take me seriously when I'd say my knee hurt!
-Sarah

2/1/10 - crutch-free!?

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2009, 09:30:21 PM »
Oh my surgeon looked around too. He did a full scope and examined all three compartments. There was nothing else wrong with my knee! The plica was no doubt the cause of my acute problems (locking, severe pain), but it wasn't the cause of my lifelong problems that started in 4th grade. My doctor told me this going in to the surgery (that he wasn't fixing my lifelong problem), so I wasn't surprised. I had dealth with that all my life, I just wanted that new pain to stop!

He said I was just one of those people who body structure lent itself to kneecaps that liked to move around and I just needed to keep my muscles strong---yada yada the same song and dance I've gotten all my life.

And in light of learning that I've got twisted bones, of course there was nothing wrong with my knee in the arthroscopy. My problems are bone related. Hopefully I've got it straightened out now though.
Mar '07 - plica excision

Offline sarbah77

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2009, 09:32:37 PM »
Ah, see, my surgery turned up the arthritic damage in the cartilage.
-Sarah

2/1/10 - crutch-free!?

Offline RissaNY

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2009, 06:06:38 AM »
Will1129 - your cracking may be scar tissue or adhesions poping. The first time I heard mine crack I got scared.

I'm so glad to read other peoples experiences with slow recovery from Plica surgery. I thought I was the only one.  But I'm gathering from all of our posts that plica removal, which was supposed to be an easy surgery, is actually difficult to recovery from.

I'm 8 weeks post-op tomorrow and feel miserable. Not just physically, but this knee surgery has completely affected me mentally. I've gained 10lbs, with no clothes fitting, can't do anything that involves physical activity let alone 'work out'.  I realized it's affecting my life too much when friends asked me to go out for drinks tomorrow night and my first thought was 'oh no...I don't think I can b/c I can't stand for too long". How sad is that?

I had medial plica removed & I think, fat pad excision.  I slowed down on the PT b/c I started irritating the patellar tendon & the PT thought I was getting tendonitis. So...it's back on the celebrex for now.  My main issues are weight baring, leg extension, and discomfort right in the surgical area.  I donít know if itís wise to stop the PT or not. 

I have two questions.  What does ROM mean/stand for?  And why do I hear that you have 90-days to recover from knee surgery?

Pin2Ride

« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2009, 07:04:54 PM »
Well, my right knee is just begin of pain but it's take a long time over a year.

it's used to gone and back again† before left knee big plica surgery in a month.† BAD LUCK of 25 Years old mine... :'(† †

I talked to the second doctor , He said it's not necessary ,if† without pain or diagnosis so don't go to get arthroscopic on right knee.

I was quite a job to take care of my left knee but it's not over yet with right knee.† †:-[

Sorry , i'm living in Thailand† then excuse my English is bad.

I had† plica surgery in 4 weeks ago.† so can walk like normal almost 100% , I think

Why some of you that the plica† could be grow back ?† †

my OS told me an double time " it's not gonna be back"† well, which doctor can confirm about it?†

of course , i'm sport gal,too.

† †
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 05:51:47 AM by Pin2Ride »