Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Anyone have meniscectomy surgery as a teenager?  (Read 2753 times)

Offline OhMyKnee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Anyone have meniscectomy surgery as a teenager?
« on: July 26, 2009, 06:59:55 PM »
Hi All -
I am searching for someone who has a similar knee history (procedure and age of procedure) and is willing to share their experiences and where they are now with the health of their knee.

I had a total meniscectomy in 1977 after I tore my meniscus in a skiing accident when I was 14 years old.  When I share that experience with the various orthopedic doctors over the years they all wince because there was a short period of time when the "best practice" was to just remove a damaged meniscus instead of trimming or repairing it.  I had bad timing and I had it at a young age.

Over the last 32 years I have had my knee drained, had cortisone shots and had 2 arthroscopies, one to clean out debris and one to beat up the bone in hopes of producing scar tissue.  All along the way I was told that I would end up with a knee replacement, but not until I was in my late fifties or early sixties.  I have slowly given up all athletic activity so I can just keep my life going.  Now I am at the point where I can't clean my house, grocery shop and bake cookies in the same day due to the pain and swelling.  I am at a desk job during the week, so it is not impacting my career, but my ability to lead a normal, active life is waning. I had children late in life and love every minute of being a Mom.  But my knee is stopping me from doing simple activities that anyone my age should be able to do. All the other Moms can stand for an entire kid soccer game, I have to go find a bench to sit down. We skipped the neighborhood parade this year because my husband was gone and I couldn't envision walking 8 blocks and then standing around on the sidewalk for an hour.  I am in pain all the time -- not screaming pain, but dull, aching pain -- and I have a hard time being the happy-Mommy I want to be.

I finally went back to an orthopedic doctor last month and was told that I am a candidate for a TKR at 46 years old.  I am thrilled and excited and scared beyond anything I can express in writing.  I am going to do it in September.  It is scheduled. I am doing it with great hope that I will be able to take my kids to Disneyland, the beach, and all day shopping excursions to find that perfect prom dress.

Is there anyone out there that had a meniscectomy as a teenager?  What happened to you?  Are you still hanging in there, or have you had a TKR?

I also want to thank everyone on this board who have shared their experiences.  I have been lurking for weeks and appreciate all the sharing that goes on here.  You all made me feel brave.
L Knee Meniscectomy: 1977
L Knee Arthroscopy: 1998
L Knee Arthroscopy: 2002
Numerous injections and drains: 1977 - 2008
L Knee TKR: Scheduled Sept 2009

Offline Elkay55

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Anyone have meniscectomy surgery as a teenager?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 03:19:59 PM »
Greetings and a happy New Year! Have you had your TKR now? How are things?   Yes, I had my first cartilage removal at 14 (medial) - I was very athletic and tore it while long jumping - followed by another op (lateral) a year later in the same knee. In those days (1969/70) recovery was laborious and quite long winded. Since then, I have continued to play sport (netball, badminton etc) with three other arthroscopies added to my list... I always understood that, eventually, I would suffer from arthritis and might need a replacement knee -particularly as my choice was to continue playing as much sport as I wanted throughout my life. I don't regret a minute. So...On September 22nd this year I had my knee replacement on the NHS in Buckinghamshire.  I had an epidural only so watched a film on my ipod while the procedure was going on! Yes, - it was noisy and grusome (but very interesting!) and no, - I might not do it again! Unfortunately for me, I underwent some nerve damage during the op (although I was aware that I already was experiencing some 'nerve problems' prior to the op) and could only manage to wiggle my toes on day 1 and 2 post op - bit worrying. This also left me with a partial foot drop which made the exercises post op almost impossible to undertake. Three months on and I have (today) visited my surgeon who is very pleased with my condition. Hoping to post more details on the arthritis board soon as it has been quite a long, up and down journey and I think others with foot drop and nerve damage may find some benefit from my experiences...

Offline secretcyrille

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 09:55:12 AM »
Hi, after reading both of these posts, it almost mirrors what has happened to me. I had a menisectomy in 1985, when I was 17, left with a three inch scar. After lots of `scopes and two ACL replacements and a mosaicplasty I am due for a TKR in three months and what a relief that will be. I want a decent standard of living that I haven`t had for 20 years! In my head I feel that I am a young 42 year old, but in my body, mainly my left knee, I feel that I am an old 80 year old. It has been a long trek to get to where I am going, but I have tried everything first, injections of various kinds, pain relief, physio etc, but it has got to the point where the Consultant was left with no other option. He did say that I will be making a pact with the devil, but I am yet to find out what that means!!! Anyway, chin up and soldier on!

Offline Rhiannon

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 11:41:44 AM »
Good morning OhMyKnee:

Though I've never had a meniscectomy, I sure know how it feels to have knees that are "pulp".  From what you've posted, here, it sounds as though you did everything possible to preserve your knees, and that the TKR was a timely decision for you. 

Please tell us how you're doing, now.  Perhaps you already have a thread somewhere, and I'm just not finding it?  If so, could you please re-post?

Happy New Year,

Rhiannon

---Be nice to your knees.  You'll miss them when they're gone.
---Proud owner of two new knees, 1/4/10

Offline idlehans

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 04:10:27 PM »
Had my medial one out in 1986 (aged 16) then another op a in 1987/88 i think when I woke up after the op in plaster from ankle to hip for 6 weeks and 5inch scar. some thing must have gone wrong. Since then another 3 arthroscopy last one being last march. I am now down to have an closed wedge osteotomy but am worried about the outcome. Have not been offered any alternative under NHS.