Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Microfracture on 37 year old male soccer player  (Read 83159 times)

Offline kevin3004

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: Microfracture on 37 year old male soccer player
« Reply #60 on: October 15, 2009, 02:22:12 PM »
Thanks Andrew spoken like a true Scotsman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Scooter72

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #61 on: October 15, 2009, 11:42:32 PM »

Ha!  Well, at least you will have plenty of teams to root for, Andrew!

I am of the opinion that Darren Bent will make the final squad; Capello simply can't keep him out, should he maintain his current form.

Offline kevin3004

• Regular Poster
« Reply #62 on: October 16, 2009, 09:54:57 AM »
Hi Scot yes I think he has a good chance of making the squad if he keeps scoring.

By the way Scot are you able to run on your MFX yet and if so what have you done?

Cheers
Kevin

Offline Scooter72

• Regular Poster
« Reply #63 on: October 18, 2009, 01:56:34 PM »
Hi Scot yes I think he has a good chance of making the squad if he keeps scoring.

By the way Scot are you able to run on your MFX yet and if so what have you done?

Cheers
Kevin

Wow, funny you should ask that, Kevin.

I wasn't supposed to do this.. but last night I played my first two games, in over 6 months.  It is definitely early for me to try such a thing, but I figured, "what the heck".

So I warmed up at home, went to the indoor footy center and played.

It was obvious to me, that my left leg (the mfx leg) was weak.. too much so to provide for quick cuts and acceleration on turf. 

I had my worst two games since I first started to play football.  I had an awful first touch, could not line up a shot to save my life, tripped on the turf without anyone near me, multiple times, and just generally looked like a fool. The only positive was that I had no significant pain during or after play; the knee was sore and achy, yes, but who wouldn't expect that?

But I couldn't be happier!  :)  It was so much fun to get out there and just play.  Objectively speaking, I have to get my knee stronger, in order to be effective.  It will take time, but at least I know where I am at, and am positive that with further rehab, and continued discipline with training, I will be back to "normal" soon enough.

Thanks for asking!  What's new with you?

Offline kevin3004

• Regular Poster
« Reply #64 on: October 18, 2009, 05:15:04 PM »
Hi Scot WOW!!!!!!
For you to just play in a match is brilliant and you must be so pleased with yourself as its just less than 4 months since your operation. You must have been very apprehensive about the game but now you've done it I think mentally that's another hurdle for you and you can now get more strength in the knee to play again.
As for me I am seeing the PT tomorrow I am now 5 weeks post op, last week he got me full weight bearing on the knee but still walking with crutches. He then gave me some exercises where I rock from side to side putting weight on both sides. I then lift my good leg and stand taking full weight on my bad one for 5 seconds. At first this hurt under my knee but as the week as gone on I can do it with little pain. He also encouraged me to walk around the house with just 1 crutch which I have been doing and do it all the time now around the house. Finally he encouraged me to try a few steps each day without any assistance which I have been doing but I can't do this without limping. On a positive note though I am a 100% better than where I was last week with NWB at all. I have also been reading up on aqua jogging which sounds good for injured athletes and will give it a try when I can walk a bit better.
Keep in touch and let me know your progress
Cheers
Kevin

Offline Scooter72

• Regular Poster
« Reply #65 on: October 18, 2009, 06:28:04 PM »
Hi Scot WOW!!!!!!
For you to just play in a match is brilliant and you must be so pleased with yourself as its just less than 4 months since your operation. You must have been very apprehensive about the game but now you've done it I think mentally that's another hurdle for you and you can now get more strength in the knee to play again.
As for me I am seeing the PT tomorrow I am now 5 weeks post op, last week he got me full weight bearing on the knee but still walking with crutches. He then gave me some exercises where I rock from side to side putting weight on both sides. I then lift my good leg and stand taking full weight on my bad one for 5 seconds. At first this hurt under my knee but as the week as gone on I can do it with little pain. He also encouraged me to walk around the house with just 1 crutch which I have been doing and do it all the time now around the house. Finally he encouraged me to try a few steps each day without any assistance which I have been doing but I can't do this without limping. On a positive note though I am a 100% better than where I was last week with NWB at all. I have also been reading up on aqua jogging which sounds good for injured athletes and will give it a try when I can walk a bit better.
Keep in touch and let me know your progress
Cheers
Kevin

Thank you for the encouragement.  It was a bit emotional for me.  I don't want to distort how playing recreational football fits into the grand scheme of things, because after all, it is only a game.  But somehow, those games or activities in life that make us happy, seem so important, when one is unable to do so.

The jogging under water is an absolute must, in my opinion.  I did it vigorously a few times, in my second month of rehab, and for whatever reasons, it gave my legs a fantastic workout with little pain and a great burn.  The next day, I had no pain.

You mentioned pain at first, with the leg lifting exercise.  In my experience, every exercise hurts at first, and in my case, some hurt badly.  But the pain seemed to go away with subsequent repetitions.   

As many here have said, it's a mental challenge.  Some weeks will literally be taking two steps forward, and one or two steps back.  It's infuriating, sometimes depressing, but one thing you cannot do, is give up.

Speaking of giving up.. I think Liverpool should give up at this point! Terrible play against Sunderland, yesterday, and without Gerrard and Torres, they look very mortal.

Offline kevin3004

• Regular Poster
« Reply #66 on: October 18, 2009, 06:40:32 PM »
Cheers Scot I think its Man utd's to throw away after Chelsea also lost, good point for the Wolves at Everton though.
Post again soon
Kevin

Offline AndrewH

• Regular Poster
« Reply #67 on: October 18, 2009, 09:41:58 PM »

I am of the opinion that Darren Bent will make the final squad; Capello simply can't keep him out, should he maintain his current form.

Not sure if Darren Bent would be as good without the help of a beachball! :lol:
June 09 - Microfracture to MFC right knee 1.5 x 1cm
July 10 - Mosaicplasty to MFC right knee 1.4 x 1.2cm (4 plugs) plus mosaicplasty to small lesion on patella (1 plug) and microfrcature to another small lesion, also on patella

Offline Scooter72

• Regular Poster
« Reply #68 on: October 18, 2009, 10:02:14 PM »

Not sure if Darren Bent would be as good without the help of a beachball! :lol:

Oh so true! But isn't that the way with strikers and form?  When they are doing well, they even get the lucky breaks.  In the opposite situations, they can't hit an open goal from 5-yards out.  (E.g. Tevez two weeks ago at home, should have had a hat-trick)

Offline AndrewH

• Regular Poster
« Reply #69 on: October 19, 2009, 01:38:57 PM »
Great study at this link about microfracture on UK football & rugby players:

http://www.josr-online.com/content/4/1/13

Article says that its not really until after 6 months that you start to see big improvements after microfracture.

I see that Bolton's Sean Davis is out for the season now after having surgery for articular cartilage damage - can't find out what surgery he has had but chances are that it'll be microfracture.

Its amazing what you find out when you have this injury! I discovered that Man Utd's supersub Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's 2 year injury before he retired was articular cartilage damage. I read a big article where he was talking about the pain and the depression..... all sounds very familiar!

He had ACI done to fix his however - but still made a comeback after 2 years out!

July 10 - Mosaicplasty to MFC right knee 1.4 x 1.2cm (4 plugs) plus mosaicplasty to small lesion on patella (1 plug) and microfrcature to another small lesion, also on patella

Offline kevin3004

• Regular Poster
« Reply #70 on: October 19, 2009, 03:23:55 PM »
Thanks Andrew just read the article really interesting and although these studies are mainly of professional players it does give grounds for optimism in recovery.
Cheers
Kevin

Offline Scooter72

• Regular Poster
Over-doing it
« Reply #71 on: October 25, 2009, 10:07:03 PM »
Played two games yesterday, and today my knee feels like it did pre-microfracture.  It began to hurt and give during the second game, but I played it out (albeit at a reduced pace).

Now, I know I didn't "ruin" the microfracture, rather, I think that the cartilage at the site of microfracture is simply not thick enough yet to take the pounding of playing footy on turf.  The paper that Andrew linked in this thread reinforces my opinion. I'm just under 4 months post-op, and according to that paper, most of the footballers and rugby players approached or achieved "normal" function and MRI  scores between 6-12 months.  And to boot, my lesion was very large, so with that in mind as well, I am happy to be where I'm at.  Which brings me to...

the fact that I've noticed some people get down about their progress thus far (in other threads).  In my opinion, one shouldn't get too "down" about their peaks and valleys as long as they are short of the 1-year mark and are doing their physical therapy religiously.  And I cannot emphasize that enough.. do the PT as if it were the only thing in your life.  And don't just do it haphazardly.. do it with the proper form, and push yourself.  From all I have read and discussed, PT is the major determining factor of mfx success, post-op. 

I am sure everyone here knows this, and I am just preaching known words.  But sometimes it helps to have someone else say it emphatically, so as to invigorate another who is despairing. 

Despite the pain, it has been good for me to get on the pitch, because I can feel my muscles working in ways that PT exercises can't mimick.

Offline AndrewH

• Regular Poster
« Reply #72 on: October 26, 2009, 08:36:55 AM »
Good stuff Scooter.

4 months is still early days, I don't think I've read of any professional sportspeople coming back that early.

I read an article from an American basketball player who had microfracture who said that when he started back playing he could hardly walk between games due to the pain. As you say, I seriously doubt you have ruined the microfracture - its just that the cartilage won't be strong enough yet for the demands of playing two games of football (two games??? you nutter!)

I'm really getting into my PT now. I managed 4 days of cycling in the gym in a row last week, first time I'd managed more than 2 consecutive days without pain forcing me to rest. I even did a double session on Friday. Hoping to get 6 days in a row this week with a few doubles!

Keep up the good work.

Offline kevin3004

• Regular Poster
« Reply #73 on: October 26, 2009, 03:10:50 PM »
Well done Scooter and Andrew great to hear you're both progressing at different stages post op.
I am 6 weeks post op today and saw the OS on Friday who was very optimistic of my recovery and he said it is also down to the individual's motivation as well as the surgery, taking a point scooter raised.
I saw the PT today and I am now on one crutch and he hopes I can do away with the crutches totally fom next week.
He has encouraged me to walk around the house without a crutch which I have been doing for a week with a limp.
Today the PT started working on my Kinetic Chain Assesssment whereby he has given me exercises to do to balance up my hips, backside muscles, hamstrings and quads to improve both my posture and walking gait.

Keep positive
Cheers
Kevin

Offline Scooter72

• Regular Poster
« Reply #74 on: October 26, 2009, 10:32:30 PM »
It's very good, today, my knee feels much better (albiet after taking some prescription anti-inflammatories and extra supplements). Also, I did better today on one of my PT exercises, namely the one-legged squat than I have previously.  Some pain, but not enough to stop me from forcing it. Just to clarify, the term "squat" is being used liberally, here, as I really cannot bend my injured leg too far while attempting it.

Andrew, it certainly seems as if you are making strides, by judging how much cycling you can tolerate.  My guess is that you'll be able to do 6 days/week easily, if you don't crank up the resistance too high.  Progress is something to be very excited about in this "business".  And yes, I am a "nutter" but not one on 'par' with Craig Bellamy.  (Pun intended.. err.. if you got the joke in the first place)  By the way, I wonder who the basketball player you speak of, might be?  There have been a few in the NBA that have had microfracture.

Kevin, I think it's great that you are getting a Kinetic Chain Assessment, but I am curious.. how is your PT assessing you, when you are essentially weak in one leg?  I thought such an assessment was to be done on people who are not injured, after all, how can he be sure of your "normal" imbalances while you are injured?  But otherwise, I think it's great you are off the crutches, limp or not.  Soon enough, I believe your limp will become barely noticeable, although it may take a month or two to completely lose it.  The next step after for you might be going up/down stairs without pain. 

By the way, can either of you believe Liverpool actually won???  I am shocked; I thought Liverpool was surely on the ropes.  Kind of surprised though, that Mascherano got red carded.  I know he is a hothead, but I thought that he would reign it in for this all-important game.  Same with Vidic.  Ah.. I wish I could have actually seen the game... was too busy with other things (i.e. activity my wife set up)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 10:39:52 PM by Scooter72 »

support