Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Microfracture on 37 year old male soccer player  (Read 83158 times)

Offline PieceDesigner

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: Microfracture on 37 year old male soccer player
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2009, 11:16:38 PM »
Ouch, Scooter!  Sorry to hear that.  Hope easing off and resting it will help.  I went through some increased pain a few weeks ago, and eased off the PT some. It helped a lot. 

Nan

Offline Scooter72

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2009, 12:40:53 AM »
Ouch, Scooter!  Sorry to hear that.  Hope easing off and resting it will help.  I went through some increased pain a few weeks ago, and eased off the PT some. It helped a lot. 
Nan

Thanks Nan!

I hope that's the case with me.  It's a bit depressing, but I am 100% sure that I will recover.

On a different note, I did some research on my down time, recently, and came across a paper on a "new" technique for cartilage repair, that involves direct application of stem cells.  It's not ACI, and obviously not mfx, or the like.  The research was done in 2007, and published by Japanese researchers in a publication in 2008.  I am going through my school to get a copy of the article. Once I do, I'll summarize the findings here.

Offline kevin3004

• Regular Poster
« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2009, 11:36:45 AM »
Hi Scooter sorry to hear of your setback but I hope with you easing off the PT will get you back on track. Forgot to say when I put on my first post that I live in the UK in the West Midlands and have a seson ticket with Wolverhampton Wanderers who got promoted to the Premier League this season, I also watch the MLS on ESPN.
I played soccer at semi-professional level until I was 32 and the continued to play local league until I was 46. I then retired and took up Refereeing and got promoted each season and this summer I was promoted to the national list of semi professional referees. However, I only refereed 6 games at my new level before I went in for what I thought would be a minor cartliage repair but it turned into MFX and my career as a referee is now in doubt as I am 52 and will have to retake the FA fitness test again which is a requirement to referee at national level. The FA have been very understanding about it and have given me until up to next June to do this.
However, at your age you are young and strong enough to get back to full fitness and I can share and admire your desire to play soccer again, as it is the best sport in the world.
My advice is when you get back play as long as you can because life isn't a dress rehearsal, let me know your pogress.
Cheers
Kevin
Kevin

Offline Scooter72

• Regular Poster
« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2009, 05:49:11 PM »
Hi Scooter sorry to hear of your setback but I hope with you easing off the PT will get you back on track. Forgot to say when I put on my first post that I live in the UK in the West Midlands and have a seson ticket with Wolverhampton Wanderers who got promoted to the Premier League this season, I also watch the MLS on ESPN.
I played soccer at semi-professional level until I was 32 and the continued to play local league until I was 46. I then retired and took up Refereeing and got promoted each season and this summer I was promoted to the national list of semi professional referees. However, I only refereed 6 games at my new level before I went in for what I thought would be a minor cartliage repair but it turned into MFX and my career as a referee is now in doubt as I am 52 and will have to retake the FA fitness test again which is a requirement to referee at national level. The FA have been very understanding about it and have given me until up to next June to do this.
However, at your age you are young and strong enough to get back to full fitness and I can share and admire your desire to play soccer again, as it is the best sport in the world.
My advice is when you get back play as long as you can because life isn't a dress rehearsal, let me know your pogress.
Cheers
Kevin

Wow! As you gathered, I follow the Premiereship closely, and I usually root for the promoted teams because they are invariably underdogs.  I like the Wolves this season; when is Ebanks-Blake coming back to start?  Based on his history, especially last season in the Championship, I certainly thought he would put on a show for at least the first half of the season before the grind would start to affect him. It'll be a tough test at the Stadium of Light, tomorrow.

I played football as a kid, and then fell out of it, and then rediscovered it at age 30, only to wonder why I didn't play it my whole life.  It's so natural to me, and just being on the pitch fills me with joy, no matter what kind of game it is.  (Actually, that's not so true! The really “hacky” games, I can do without at this age)  So as you can imagine, I really haven't gotten “my fill”.  I am pretty miserable with this mess and am considering returning to playing even if this surgery is a failure, although I wouldn't be happy playing at half-speed. I definitely would research and book myself for another surgical option, in the meantime.

So after having read your story, I can't imagine how you feel.  So much experience with the game for you, in a country that reveres the sport.  That being said, I am 100% confident that you will recover, as long as you are diligent with following whatever protocol is laid out for you.  Don't worry about your age; it's irrelevant at this point. Besides, there is a 42 year old in this thread who had the surgery, and is now scoring goals again in his recreational league.  I was sprinting last week, at only 3+ months out from this surgery.  There are other stories about “older” people who have gone on to do well.  And in any case, I don't care how old you are, you are a footballer, and as such you likely have good recuperative abilties.

Please, don't forget to adjust your supplement intake; the fish oil and Cosamin DS.. they help.  Another thing to consider is your weight.  I don't know what your body composition is like at the moment, although I'd guess you are in good shape to have been approved by the FA, but keeping a good body weight is critical.

On another note, my wife and I are coming to West London on our honeymoon, in December! We hope to catch a game.. ANY game!  At this point, we have set our sights high, and are hoping to get tickets to Fulham-ManU.  If there's any chance of catching you at a pub, I'd love to chat with you!

Offline kevin3004

• Regular Poster
« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2009, 01:29:59 PM »
Thanks Scooter for your comments, my daughter who is 19 supports Chelsea and we try and get down to Stamford Bridge 3 or 4 times a year.
If you are coming to West London for your Honeymoon I recomend you do the tour of Stamford Bridge Stadium. They do it everyday other than match days and it is truly a worthwhile experience, seeng the players changing room, the managers office and the press room as well as the stadium itself, the new Wembley stadium is also worth a visit.
As for Ebanks-Blake he played for the 1st time on Wednesday night against Man utd in the League Cup and looked well short of match practice and I think he will revert back to Keogh and Doyle at Sunderland this afternoon.
Going back to my MFX I saw the PT on Thursday for the first time who just said to continue with the NWB leg exercises and R.I.C.E. until I see the OS on the 9th October. The PT said my notes stated that I had 2 parts of my knee MFX''d on, my troch groove and on the bootom of my fib. He had also shaved some excess arthricitic growth off the top of my tib. However, he couldn't say what my long term prognosis was as only the OS knew that, so I will have to wait until the 9th Oct when my OS will give me the knews and what PT I can move onto and when. 
Keep in touch and nearer the time let me know the dates you will be in the UK in December. 

Offline kevin3004

• Regular Poster
« Reply #50 on: September 27, 2009, 08:59:01 PM »
Hi Scooter again please log onto the following website in the UK

http://www.bristol-knee-clinic.co.uk/boc/v2newsfull.asp?ID=112

It is an artical on cartliage transplant which you may find interesting.
Cheers
Kevin

Offline AndrewH

• Regular Poster
« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2009, 11:00:38 PM »
Forgot to say when I put on my first post that I live in the UK in the West Midlands and have a seson ticket with Wolverhampton Wanderers who got promoted to the Premier League this season, I also watch the MLS on ESPN.

You've got no chance with that big diddy Berra in defence.  :P

When is Chris Iwelumo coming back? He started out with my team, St. Mirren.

June 09 - Microfracture to MFC right knee 1.5 x 1cm
July 10 - Mosaicplasty to MFC right knee 1.4 x 1.2cm (4 plugs) plus mosaicplasty to small lesion on patella (1 plug) and microfrcature to another small lesion, also on patella

Offline kevin3004

• Regular Poster
« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2009, 09:47:53 AM »
You've got no chance with that big diddy Berra in defence. 

When is Chris Iwelumo coming back? He started out with my team, St. Mirren.

Thanks AndrewH infact Berra hasn't been too bad of late, as for Iwelumo he is a few weeks off fitness yet, I watched St Mirren v Celtic on ESPN at the weekend and thought you put in a decent performance.

Offline AndrewH

• Regular Poster
« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2009, 11:10:50 AM »

Thanks AndrewH infact Berra hasn't been too bad of late, as for Iwelumo he is a few weeks off fitness yet, I watched St Mirren v Celtic on ESPN at the weekend and thought you put in a decent performance.

We're not good enough to match a team like Celtic. Scott Brown gets paid around half of our entire wage budget!  :-\

Bad result for Wolves yesterday. Thought you were looking like getting back into it and then it all caved in. I was happy enough though as I transferred Darren Bent into my Telegraph Fantasy team in the morning and now lead my work's super league.  ;D

As for the knee, I'm now just over 16 weeks since operation. Still not sure how things are going. I think its heading in the right direction but am still worried. I realise it will take time though and am planning on putting in a couple of months decent rehab, biking, strengthening, etc over the next couple of months before going back to see the surgeon.

Keep your chin up Kevin. We all know what you are going through. Andrew Flintoff had MFX surgery 3 weeks ago now I think and they don't think he'll be back until next summer. If someone like him with all his resources is looking at a long recovery then we have to be realistic.
July 10 - Mosaicplasty to MFC right knee 1.4 x 1.2cm (4 plugs) plus mosaicplasty to small lesion on patella (1 plug) and microfrcature to another small lesion, also on patella

Offline Scooter72

• Regular Poster
« Reply #54 on: September 29, 2009, 02:03:51 AM »
No way did the Wolves deserve to win 5-2.. I would argue that they played Sunderland equal, and just got unlucky with their chances, whereas Sunderland were very lucky.

Also, who is Andrew Flintoff?  Thanks!

Offline kevin3004

• Regular Poster
« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2009, 10:51:26 AM »
AndrewH thanks for your comments I agree we have to be realistic in terms of recovery time, that said its getting the right balance with optomism and determination. I know I will have set backs and suffer the demons that other posts have suggested but I try hard not to feel sorry for myself.

Scooter, Andrew Flintoff is an England Cricketer in his early 30's and reputably one of the worlds best of his generation. As AndrewH said he had MFX 3 weeks ago and is going to Dubai for 3 months shortly to undertake extensive rehabilitation. However, he only intends to return to one day cricket when he recovers. I don't wish to sound disrespectful but as an American you may not fully understand cricket (to be fair as an Englishman I don't fully) so this may not mean much to you.

As for the Wolves, Saturdays game against Portsmouth is now a 6 pointer and although perhaps we were unlucky at Sunderland defensively we were shambolic.
Keep in touch
Kevin

Offline kevin3004

• Regular Poster
« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2009, 04:08:48 PM »
Hi Scott not heard from you for a bit hows it going?
Kevin

Offline Scooter72

• Regular Poster
« Reply #57 on: October 15, 2009, 06:18:01 AM »
Hi Scott not heard from you for a bit hows it going?
Kevin

It's going quite well, actually!

My physical therapist challenges me every week, with something that is designed to get my biomechanics "back in sync".  I can't believe how weak my hip flexors are, in particular.  There are body weight exercises that I can't do, because my hips are weak. 

At this point in my rehab, I still deal with pain, but it seems to be less frequent than a month ago, and certainly, my leg is stronger than a month ago.

I am able to do step-downs with far better proficiency at this point (moved from a 4" stepdown to nearly 7" stepdown now).  This is due to my PT giving me exercises that, in short, have lead me to this point. 

In case you can't tell, I can't say enough about my PT.. there is simply no chance that I would have progressed so far so fast, without his guidance, despite my exuberance.

So how are you, Kevin?  What is new with you, and how are you liking The Three Lions, in light of their recent matches?  (Keeping in mind, Belarus isn't exactly a powerhouse!)

Offline kevin3004

• Regular Poster
« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2009, 11:20:23 AM »
Hi Scot glad to hear you are going OK and the PT sounds good.
Its been just over 4 weeks since my surgery and I am now driving and weight bearing, however, I am still using the crutches as I have to learn to walk properly again and the leg feels so weak. I was with my PT on Monday this week and he gave me some weight bearing exercises and encouraged me to use 1 crutch around the house and try to do a few steps per day without crutches which I am doing.
The pain I get comes from under my knee which he said is OK and normal from the trauma of the surgery although it is good the pain is in that place because that isn't where I had surgery.
The mfx is mainly on the inside of my knee where I have grade 4 arthritis, I get frustrated at times but my PT says I am doing OK and see him again next week.
As for England well weve got to the World Cup but we shall see who Fabio picks and who remains injury free.
Keep in touch
Kevin

Offline AndrewH

• Regular Poster
« Reply #59 on: October 15, 2009, 12:59:37 PM »

As for England well weve got to the World Cup but we shall see who Fabio picks and who remains injury free.

Looking forward to supporting whoever England get drawn against.  ;D :P

support