Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Microfracture on 37 year old male soccer player  (Read 80234 times)

Offline madel23

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: Microfracture on 37 year old male soccer player
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2009, 04:13:22 AM »
That is amazing progress!  I wish I could heal that fast!  How far past the op are you again?

Offline Scooter72

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2009, 02:51:31 AM »
That is amazing progress!  I wish I could heal that fast!  How far past the op are you again?

Thanks madel!  I had my surgery June 25th, so I am about 11 weeks post-op. 

Knee is a bit more sore today than last time I reported, but that's because I have been putting it through the ringer, with the added physical therapy exercises.

I will keep reporting my progress.  Thank you!

Offline Greenfire083

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2009, 04:01:05 AM »
Sounds like rehab is going great!!  I'm 2 weeks out now, and I'm walking with no limp.  Other than being a little sore from being on my feet a lot during the day (I'm a teacher/coach and coaching football right now), my knee seems to be doing great.  Meet with my PT for the first time next week!  Sometimes I just forget and try to put weight on my left leg when standing up and it reminds me pretty quickly that wasn't a good idea, but I think things are going well.

Keep you updated with how it goes!

Offline Scooter72

• Regular Poster
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2009, 12:40:28 PM »
Sounds like rehab is going great!!  I'm 2 weeks out now, and I'm walking with no limp.  Other than being a little sore from being on my feet a lot during the day (I'm a teacher/coach and coaching football right now), my knee seems to be doing great.  Meet with my PT for the first time next week!  Sometimes I just forget and try to put weight on my left leg when standing up and it reminds me pretty quickly that wasn't a good idea, but I think things are going well.

Keep you updated with how it goes!

That's fantastic, Greenfire!  However, I want to mention, that at least for me, the first two weeks were the "honeymoon" period for this surgery, because one is not testing it, and the expectations are exactly what one would surmise.  Later, as weight-bearing and rehab begins, the mind game will become apparent as one goes through peaks and valleys.  And while I am sure you have read the same from others here, as I did, it doesn't really hit you until you start to experience it.

But hey, that's what we are here for.. support.  So please keep posting on your progress, as I will.

Offline chariotson

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2009, 10:41:51 PM »

I still have problems with doing "step-downs" using my left leg (microfractured knee) to support my body weight, because for whatever reason, I still have pain when bending it around the 25 degree mark.  It's not only pain, but also lack of strength.  As a substitute exercise, my physical therapist has me doing wall-squats, with my left leg positioned forward moreso than my right.

I am pleased with my progress thus far. 

Sounds like you are doing great. Took me a long time to be able to do step downs comfortably, maybe 9 months in total. We each have our own schedule of course.

Played our second game of the fall season on Sunday, I scored twice in the first 5 minutes with break aways where I outran the defence each time. Shows there is life in the old legs :) No pain in the game at all, but can certainly feel it two days later, not just my knee.

Offline kevin3004

• Regular Poster
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2009, 04:36:04 PM »
Hi Scooter72 and all your respondents,
I am a 52year old soccer referee and referee on football conference (one down from the football league) on Monday this week I went in for a cartliage tear repair as the MRI suggested to the OS that it was a simple procedure.
Following the operation the OS came to me and said it was bad news and that my knee on the inside was bone on bone and he had to shave my knee bone before doing a MF procedure.
He said that this may last me a couple of years if I am lucky before I need a new knee replacement. I am on crutches and no weight bearing for 6 weeks and I am still devastated by the news, he said I cant consider sport for at least 6 months, I also play golf.
Hope you continue with your recovery and any advice you could give would be helpful

Offline AndrewH

• Regular Poster
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2009, 06:51:21 PM »
Hi Kevin

I had a MF procedure done back on the 5 June so am 15 weeks out just now. My knee so far really doesn't fell any better than pre-surgery but its still early days. I'm 40 next month and used to do a lot of running. I've been advised that my running days are now over.

It doesn't sound good if your surgeon is already talking about a knee replacement in a couple of years. I suppose it depends on the location and the size but this procedure can last a lot longer than 2 years. My surgeon has also talked about alternatives such as OATS and ACI if the MF doesn't work.

There are a couple of good blogs out there that show the progress of others who have this operation:

This first one is from a cyclist who had MF 2 years ago and you can follow his progress right through -

http://www.podilato.com/category/microfracture/page/5/

This next one is from a runner who had the op last year. Again, you can follow his progress over the year. He was back running, albeit short distances, after 6 months and was back doing 60 miles a week a year later, although he was still reporting some pain. -

http://www.podilato.com/category/microfracture/page/5/

June 09 - Microfracture to MFC right knee 1.5 x 1cm
July 10 - Mosaicplasty to MFC right knee 1.4 x 1.2cm (4 plugs) plus mosaicplasty to small lesion on patella (1 plug) and microfrcature to another small lesion, also on patella

Offline PieceDesigner

• Regular Poster
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2009, 10:20:41 PM »
Hi Kevin, Your story sounds similar to mine. I'm 48.

I had MFX and TruFit Plug surgery in June. Doc found another spot that was bone on bone and did MFX on it.  I was told before surgery that any work might be a temp fix, as my knee cartilage was in bad shape, and I'd probably be looking at knee replacement in a couple years.  Plug work is doing great, but the other area is not so good. Doc mentioned knee replacement in my future again last visit. Am hoping to do anything I can to delay it as long as possible.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Nan

Offline Scooter72

• Regular Poster
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2009, 07:39:55 AM »
Sounds like you are doing great. Took me a long time to be able to do step downs comfortably, maybe 9 months in total. We each have our own schedule of course.
Played our second game of the fall season on Sunday, I scored twice in the first 5 minutes with break aways where I outran the defence each time. Shows there is life in the old legs :) No pain in the game at all, but can certainly feel it two days later, not just my knee.

Absolutely fantastic, Chariotson.  You are where I aspire to be.  I feel great for you, and I think that your example should serve as a beacon for others here (including Kevin3004).  Please keep me posted on how you do as the season progresses. I still can't do the step-downs with much proficiency, but I have improved since my last post about it!

Speaking of.. Kevin, I feel for you.  There are a hundred things I could tell you about my experiences, as could others here.  But the number one thing is to keep a STRONG WILL and thus, a positive attitude.  This is a mind game.  The surgery is so easy, when looking at it from a technical standpoint.  However, the recovery is deceptively difficult. 

I would emphasize that you MAKE SURE your surgeon is competent and amicable; if he isn't willing to deal with you asking a bunch of questions before and after the surgery, about any and every detail, then find someone else.  Nail down what you will be doing in terms of rehab, from day 1 after surgery.

Also, I would highly recommend taking Cosamin DS, and a high quality fish oil daily (green pasture's "blue ice" is an excellent brand).  There are dietery adjustments you could make as well, such as loading up on blueberries and cherries, but in my opinion those first two supplements are vital. I did a lot of research into diet and supplementation to aid me, and I seriously doubt I would be healing so rapidly without such diligence. The Cosamin especially has been shown in studies to improve the ration of fibruous to hyaline cartilage. I had my mf surgery June 25th in the trochlear groove, and my lesion was absolutely huge: about 1cm wide and almost 2 inches long. And even then, my OS said he could have "flaked off" more because the cartilage was so loose in the damaged area (I just recently found out that these were the dimensions; I originally thought it was much smaller)  I am now doing sprints and able to do leg extensions with my healing leg, with 20lbs.  Before the surgery it was agony to do 2.5lbs. 

Keep us up to date, Kevin!

« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 07:42:04 AM by Scooter72 »

Offline kevin3004

• Regular Poster
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2009, 10:34:51 AM »
Thanks Guys for all your replies I have my first session with the PT next week and I am seeing the OS on the 9th October. I will take your advice Scooter 72 on the food supplements and see where that takes me but its hard to be positive at the moment. The really hard bit is one minute I was really physically active and the next I am on cructhes for at least 6 weeks.   

Offline kevin3004

• Regular Poster
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2009, 10:46:24 AM »
Monday 21st Sept 09.
Hi everyone well its been a week now since my surgery and I have reduced taking my painkillers to once a day. I see my PT for the first time this Thursday and don't see my OS until the 9th Oct, I removed the outer bandage and put tube-a-grip dressing on it but I haven't removed the inner bandage, I think I'll wait to see the PT first.
Can you guys tell me when you were allowed to drive, I have an automatic but as it is my right knee that I had the op on all my work would be by my right foot anyway.
Also if you were also non weight bearing for 6 weeks on crutches, what happened to you after the 6 weeks i.e. did you walk with walking stick etc?
Cheers
Kevin 

Offline Scooter72

• Regular Poster
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2009, 03:50:29 AM »
Monday 21st Sept 09.
Hi everyone well its been a week now since my surgery and I have reduced taking my painkillers to once a day. I see my PT for the first time this Thursday and don't see my OS until the 9th Oct, I removed the outer bandage and put tube-a-grip dressing on it but I haven't removed the inner bandage, I think I'll wait to see the PT first.
Can you guys tell me when you were allowed to drive, I have an automatic but as it is my right knee that I had the op on all my work would be by my right foot anyway.
Also if you were also non weight bearing for 6 weeks on crutches, what happened to you after the 6 weeks i.e. did you walk with walking stick etc?
Cheers
Kevin 

I was weight-bearing almost immediately, so I can't help you with your query.  However, I would suggest that you read the initial post of people who started their own threads in this forum, to get an idea of their experience.

Offline PieceDesigner

• Regular Poster
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2009, 05:38:44 AM »
Hi Kevin, I was non-weight bearing for 3 weeks, but after a painful first few attempts at weight bearing, I stayed off it for another week, or so. Then I was partial weight bearing for 2 more weeks. Was not fully weightbearing for 6-7 weeks, used crutches for a couple of weeks, then the cane for awhile, and even now I occasionally use a cane or crutches on bad days. I had work done on medial chondyl (plug), and also Trochlear groove, so probably could have been weight bearing right away, if I hadn't had any of the work done on the medial femoral weight bearing spot.  Where was your MFX on?
I drove at 3 weeks, if I remember right, but it was not easy. Mine is right knee, with automatic car. Worse part was acutally getting into and out of the car. Most of my driving was highway, so I set cruise control, and fortunately did not have to do much braking. Braking was actually not too bad, as I did not get myself into a sudden braking situation if I could help it.  It was the gas pedal that was most painful as I steadily increased speed before I could put cruise on. I finally wised up and used the cruise control lever to notch up the speed a couple miles an hour between about 45mph and higher. After 45 mph my knee was screaming if I exerted more pressure on gas pedal.  It was probably 3 weeks after going partial weight bearing before I could drive without a lot of pain.  Bending knee to get it into and out of car was a killer!

Wishing you continued healing,
Nan

Offline kevin3004

• Regular Poster
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2009, 10:27:04 AM »
Hi Kevin, I was non-weight bearing for 3 weeks, but after a painful first few attempts at weight bearing, I stayed off it for another week, or so. Then I was partial weight bearing for 2 more weeks. Was not fully weightbearing for 6-7 weeks, used crutches for a couple of weeks, then the cane for awhile, and even now I occasionally use a cane or crutches on bad days. I had work done on medial chondyl (plug), and also Trochlear groove, so probably could have been weight bearing right away, if I hadn't had any of the work done on the medial femoral weight bearing spot.  Where was your MFX on?
I drove at 3 weeks, if I remember right, but it was not easy. Mine is right knee, with automatic car. Worse part was acutally getting into and out of the car. Most of my driving was highway, so I set cruise control, and fortunately did not have to do much braking. Braking was actually not too bad, as I did not get myself into a sudden braking situation if I could help it.  It was the gas pedal that was most painful as I steadily increased speed before I could put cruise on. I finally wised up and used the cruise control lever to notch up the speed a couple miles an hour between about 45mph and higher. After 45 mph my knee was screaming if I exerted more pressure on gas pedal.  It was probably 3 weeks after going partial weight bearing before I could drive without a lot of pain.  Bending knee to get it into and out of car was a killer!

Wishing you continued healing,
Nan

Thanks Piece Designer I am not exactly sure where my OS did my MFX as initially I was only expecting what was expected to be a small repair to  a torn cartliage based on what the MRI had shown. So when my OS told me post op at the hospital what he had needed to do I was so shocked and devastated I asked him very little.
I am due to see my OS on the 9th Oct where I will have a lot of questions to ask him.
Cheers
Kevin

Offline Scooter72

• Regular Poster
Ouch ouch ouch ouch!
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2009, 10:53:37 PM »
An update: I think I pushed it way too hard this week.

As you know, I have been running, doing physical therapy (pretty hardcore) and generally trying to recoup the strength of the injured leg.

Well.. this week, on Monday, the pain got bad.  As in.. almost as bad as before the surgery.  All the progress I have made has been (temporarily) lost.

I hope this doesn't signal anything terrible, for the long-term.  But even if my mfx ultimately fails, I will try again with a different procedure, at the Stone Clinic.  Come hell or whatever else can be thrown at me, I will be playing footy, and leading an active lifestyle, at some point in the near future.

I'll update sometime next week.