Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Microfracture on 37 year old male soccer player  (Read 80196 times)

Offline AndrewH

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: Microfracture on 37 year old male soccer player
« Reply #180 on: July 31, 2010, 01:45:56 PM »
Sounds good Kevin.

I'm okay, out and about on my crutches. Was speaking to the referee of my sons game this morning. He immediately came over to me when he saw my crutches and started to tell me all about his own knee woes!  I had 3 different people all come up to me this morning to tell me all about their knee problems! Being on crutches seems to be a magnet for people with injured knees!  :D

Knee is still very stiff and swollen. I hired my own CPM machine and am up to 110 degrees on it. Its harder to actively reach this sort of range myself. I still can't lift my leg using my quads though and can see a great deal of atrophy.
June 09 - Microfracture to MFC right knee 1.5 x 1cm
July 10 - Mosaicplasty to MFC right knee 1.4 x 1.2cm (4 plugs) plus mosaicplasty to small lesion on patella (1 plug) and microfrcature to another small lesion, also on patella

Offline kevin3004

• Regular Poster
« Reply #181 on: July 31, 2010, 08:10:48 PM »
Hi Andrew sounds as if the CPM machine is helping your ROM, the quad wasteage is only natural based on what you've had done so it's not suprising you can't lift it. I'm sure you're getting a bit frustrated but you are at that difficult time of waiting to move onto the next stage.
Keep posting your updates.
Cheers
Kevin

Offline kevin3004

• Regular Poster
« Reply #182 on: August 24, 2010, 04:23:14 PM »
Hi Scot,
I saw your posting to Dr. Centeno on stem regeneration, I take it from what youíve said whilst you are still doing your sports the MFX leaves you in pain for days/weeks after, dependant on the intensity of the sport you undertake. You may remember my last posting said I now had problems with my left knee (my good one) during a soccer game I refereed. It turned out to be a mixture of a slight tear in my knee ligament and a bit of scar tissue at the back of my knee where my hamstring meets my knee ligament.
I had, albeit, subconsciously put excessive strain on my good knee when I began to run again by protecting my right MFX knee. After a lot of thought I decided to retire as a referee with the FA. It was a hard decision to make but refereeing at that high level would have been so demanding and I need to have a quality of life after I eventually finished.
I am road cycling and playing golf and the MFX knee has been quite good as I will be 12 months post op on the 14 Sept but I am still having P/T on my left knee to get it back where it was, but Iím not complaining because a lot of posters on this site have had far less success with their MFX than I have.
Let me know how youíre getting on and what youíre up to.
Cheers
Kevin

Offline Scooter72

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #183 on: August 25, 2010, 02:43:06 PM »
Yes, Kevin.  I have had to cut back on how much I play.  I suppose I should be thankful that I can play at all, but it's just in my nature to seek a better solution.   Besides, even if I keep off of it (i.e. quit all strenuous activities), for me,  I would become miserable, and I also suspect that it would only extend the amount of time that I was symptom free for a while longer (until the knee went bad again).

I am very sad to hear about your decision.  I know reffing football was your passion, however, I believe you made a wise (but tough) decision.  Kevin, you do need a good quality of life, and no doubt the running associated with reffing would have worn your knee(s) down again, within a few years.  I think anyone who gets mfx, and knows the details of it, suspects as much.  Enjoy your golf and cycling.  And of course, enjoy watching the Wolves in the Premiership!  Any opinions on the season thus far?

I intend to eventually get Dr. Centeno's treatment, but not right now.  I can get along, for now.  Some would view it as unwise for me to keep playing, and exercising in a manner that affects my knee.  However, as I said before, if the football and (mild) resistance training doesn't get to it sooner, I know that everyday activities such as going up stairs and the long walk to work eventually will do so.   And age, of course, exacerbates all of that.

Keep in touch Kevin!

Offline AndrewH

• Regular Poster
« Reply #184 on: August 27, 2010, 07:03:54 PM »
Sorry to read that you've had to give up the reffing Kevin. Everything comes to an end eventually though so now is probably the best time for you now that you've had a long break from it. At least it gave you the motivation to recover from injury and you're now back doing other stuff.  :)
June 09 - Microfracture to MFC right knee 1.5 x 1cm
July 10 - Mosaicplasty to MFC right knee 1.4 x 1.2cm (4 plugs) plus mosaicplasty to small lesion on patella (1 plug) and microfrcature to another small lesion, also on patella

Offline kevin3004

• Regular Poster
« Reply #185 on: September 01, 2010, 02:06:33 PM »
Sorry to read that you've had to give up the reffing Kevin. Everything comes to an end eventually though so now is probably the best time for you now that you've had a long break from it. At least it gave you the motivation to recover from injury and you're now back doing other stuff. :)
Thanks Andrew yes youíre right it did motivate me to try and get back to full fitness but ultimately it would have been difficult to sustain that level of fitness for a season also the full out sprints (when required to get up with play) were difficult.
However, Iíve certainly been lucky so far compared to other mfx victims and will just keep going playing golf, weights in the gym and cycling once my knee ligaments recover. Iíve read with interest your posting on your latest surgery so keep us updated with your progress, your OS sounds really good and positive.
Cheers
Kevin†

Offline kevin3004

• Regular Poster
« Reply #186 on: November 07, 2010, 06:54:54 PM »
Hi Scooter, Madeline and Andrew,
Just wondered what your progress was (Andrew I know you are recovering from your recent surgery).
I havenít run or jogged since doing my ligaments in my good knee in August but Iím playing golf and doing the weights in the gym. The P/T says Iím OK to start jogging again but on my good days as I walk without any pain Iím slightly reluctant/apprehensive to start again.
Cheers
Kevin

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 77
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #187 on: March 23, 2014, 02:18:50 PM »
Hi All,

I know this topic is a few years old already and have been reading with interest how other members of KG have managed and coped pre op and post op mircofracture.

I admit I can be a stubborn as mule when it comes to looking after myself properly and always thought I never become a cropper as I am still young. I am very competitive when it comes to long distance running and cannot just run at a slow steady pace. I have to average just under 7 minutes a mile if I go over 7 minutes get annoyed with myself for not pushing myself more.

At the peak of my long distance running my best time was 9 miles in just under 1 hour average pace was 6 minutes and 40 seconds. I did start to get the odd niggling knee pain while running that slowly increased. I just thought to myself it's nothing to worry about as I already had 1 scope to remove the medial plica and fat pad trim.

Also did not warm and stretch properly before and after running and admit overdoing it by running 4 days in a row a 9 mile circuit rather leaving a day in between for the body to recover again. I trained with no advice from a personal trainer and a sports PT and was pre warned by my sports PT not to run so many miles as he had to have a mircofracture from road running.

I only have myself to blame and just like to know if other members of KG that had a mircofracture have managed to get back into sporting activities or had to reduce or give up completely. I am finding it hard to accept as I have high functioning autism know as Asperger syndrome, running long distance meant a lot to me not just physically also helped me mentally to reduce my anxiety and stress levels.

Seeing others running right know is upsetting and was not helped when I had knee problems 10 years ago shortly after my breakdown and diagnoses of AS that the knee pain was all in my head for having autism.

I do have signs of wear and tear of my right knee and too painful to run on it and MRI scan confirms this. Will have an exploratory scope in July and looks likely need a microfracture and read you can still compete but not as competitive.

Running was my life since childhood as I always been a good long distance runner and do not mind to admit is getting me down not being able to run. Frustrating is a good word to describe it if you can only use one word to describe how you are feeling with a certain knee injuries.

Sorry for the long post had to get it of my chest as I am still in shock that there a chance I may not run long distance again aged 35.

Thanks for reading.

[email protected]
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline Jbenazzi

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #188 on: June 27, 2017, 02:07:25 PM »
Scot,  I read this entire thread with the greatest degree of interest. I am two weeks post mfx surgery on a trocheal groove defect. 100mm x 200 mm. I am posting here on the off chance that you receive the email notification and can provide an update on your condition. What? Eight years after your surgery? :D

I am a 40-year-old soccer player (men's over 40 3D division :-), but like you very much want to get back to it. Your posts and the others on this thread make a lot of sense to me. A lot of great information on diet the importance of rehab, etc.i'm certainly going to do everything I can to get back on the field, but again would love to hear an update. thanks!  Best wishes to all on this thread. 

John