Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: double upright brace??  (Read 5250 times)

Offline Sharon

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
double upright brace??
« on: September 05, 2003, 10:00:05 PM »
Hi everyone,

Yesterday when I saw my OS one of the very few things he did was give me a prescription for a double upright knee brace to replace the bledsoe post-op one I am in right now. I just spoke to his office manager about getting one and apparently this is a custom brace but does anyone know what it actually is and what it does. I guess I'm supposed to hear from the orthotist sometime soon about getting fitted for this but I'm just wondering what it is and how big it is and stuff like that. Thanks for any help!!

Sharon
Left knee:
LR-5/99 & 9/01
Distal realignment and LR 7/02
TTT revision 6/03
screw removal/MUA 10/03
d/x with severe patella baja
7/05 patellar tendon replacement w/piece of quad tendon
4/07 OATS

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
Re: double upright brace??
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2003, 09:24:30 PM »
depends on what the brace is for. Is it for arthritis, ligament instability or a combination? What they look like etc all depends on who makes them. If you'd like to look at some pictures of stuff by different manufacturers you could check www.kneeshop.com. they have a listing by type and by manufacturer. I'm certain they don't list everything out there, and not the custom stuff, but the site still might be useful for you to get a general idea of what you might end up with. custom braces seem to be very similar to off the shelf versions, but they're made to measure, and sometimes of different materials. (carbon composite vs aluminum etc) Hope this helps. If you knew what manufacturer your doc wanted you to have you could go to the manufacturer's web site directly, such as bledsoe's site, since you mention a bledsoe postop brace.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline Shazinoz

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • G'Day from Australia
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2003, 12:25:08 PM »
I think you will find that a Double Upright knee brace simply means that it has a support upright on either side of the knee (some only have a single upright (ie. rigid medial side) see http://www.orthopedictechreview.com/issues/janfeb02/productivity.htm under Upright OA Knee Brace  where it shows a single upright knee brace and then think if it being like this on BOTH sides of the knee (i.e. a complete rigid brace like most braces such as the CTI2 or Generation II or most full custom or off the shelf braces.
I am sorry I can't be of more help to you thatn this but I must say you interested me as I had NEVER heard of a double upright brace but now I know <LOL> it is amazing what the Net can teach us (I have a thing for research it seems <LOL>  ;D)
Sharon
2 ACL 'reco's', 3 'scopes', Pain, JRA, EDS, RSD, CMP, osetochondral defect & #, synovitis, adhesions, nerve damage, foot drop, MCL damage, tendonitis, fibrosis, ligament damage AGAIN, dislocations +++

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2003, 05:52:14 AM »
A double upright brace is simply a brace that has hinges on both sides.  These are properly called ligament or functional braces and are used for ligament instabilities.  The braces with a single upright are usually either unloaders or counter-force braces.  Unloaders are used for Osteoarthritis or compartment problems.  Counter-force braces are used for preventation of ligament injuries, normally for the MCL.  THey are seen mostly on football players.  
1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.

Offline Heavy_Harry

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • When I stuff a knee up, I sometimes stuff it good
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2005, 04:04:07 AM »
Hello Shanon

I too have a "double upright brace" as I am a sports girl and I often am walking and moving around alot. My brace is from "sport inovations" C180 I have found the brace very comfotable. These braces are good for those who have ligment instablities as my knee pops out of place with the convectional braces I've tried so far.

They are mad of hard ,rigid material like carborn fibre or metal etc mainly for strength on the brace as the people who've I seen wear em are sports people. But it doesn't mean you can't wear em. If it's good for you wear em!! ;D