Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Some Recent Good News from Regenexx  (Read 8419 times)

Offline mccartjt

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
Some Recent Good News from Regenexx
« on: July 23, 2009, 04:02:06 PM »
Hi All

Its been a while since I've logged in here and  had much to say.  Regenexx has been putting out more and more positive news  (see link below)

http://www.regenexx.com/2009/07/increased-knee-joint-width-after-stem-cells/

Whilst the naysayers have their freedom of speech rights, the good news needs to come out too!!

Offline GJJ

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: Some Recent Good News from Regenexx
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 04:52:16 PM »
Hello,

I have visited two Stanford doctors now and asked for their advise on Regenexx.  It is promising but there needs to be published data and acceptance from peer groups.  If I had 10k to throw away, not a big deal.  Does it work? Not sure.  Regenexx is moving in the right direction but they have not convinced the orthopedic world yet.  They are great at marketing but I want to see the results for all 500 patents versus one or two.  It is physically and mentally draining and I can't take another disappointment.  There are others getting into the game, so hold on to hope.

Offline slyguy1

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 03:59:38 PM »
I've heard same....most OS out there don't think it will work...so like you say 10 grand to lose? The ACI procedure with all it's complications seems to be the more successful outcome....have you had anything done? I am stuck with a failed microfraction and debating on ACI....

Offline mccartjt

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 05:04:26 AM »
Slyguy

I re-read your posting today. If you are seriously thinking about ACI, you might be horrified about the rehab. My surgeon strongly advised against ACI and I believe he knows what he's talking about, as he's a well respected surgeon on the west coast. I considered MACI (= arthroscopic procedure) versus ACI (open procedure) and even considered going to Europe too to get an MACI done. It was going to cost $45,000 at a minimum. Some folks in Asia are offering it in Singapore.

Its my humble opinion that ACI can always be done (as a final option) but it is very painful and hard to rehab from. Don't take my word for it.. Its important that everyone does their own research..JM

Offline slyguy1

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 10:23:23 AM »
JM........Do you have any data about the success rates of ACI vs. MACI? Did you actually go to Singapore?
I am thinking that if the MACI is so successful in other countries.....FDA might consider approving it in time? I know the rehab involved which is part of my dilemna in addition to working on my feet for a living. How is your progress going?

Offline mccartjt

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 05:21:20 AM »
Slyguy

ACI I've been told is a 1 year rehab, in short its a nightmare. Its done as an open procedure and has high known failure rate. My doctor thinks that MACI is safe but the FDA has reservations about the materials used within the MACI so it was my surgeons position that he feels it may never get approval here in the USA.

I hope that this answers your questions..

JM

Offline ajschnelk

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 02:49:38 PM »
I am not going argue the fact ACI is an easy process (10months post currently), but what do you consider a high failure rate?  It definitely depends on the location, but ACI has around an 80%-85% sucess rate, which is a far cry from a high failure rate. 

Another option to consider is Denovo NT.  Recovery time is typically less and so far has shown improvements over traditional ACI.  I have a very small(less than 1x1cm) grade 3 defect in my other knee and have considered Regenexx, but will probably go the Denovo route if i am forced to do anything with it. 

Offline markld

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 06:25:28 PM »
I definitely would not say ACI has a high failure rate unless you consider 15% high. ACI has swown to have a success rate of 85% and 92% of the people having it say they would have it again. It was developed in Sweden in 1987 and some of the folks having it back then are still doing good to this day. I don't think you could say the same about Regenexx, as it does not have a 20 plus year track record. I would do ACI and Denovo over Regenexx. To be honest Regenexx sounds a little shady.
April 2008 microfracture left knee trochlea
Jan 2009 ACI harvest from right knee
Mar 2009 ACI right knee trochlea
July 2009 Aci left knee
Nov 2009 left knee scope to check graft

Offline Scooter72

• Regular Poster
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010, 04:37:50 AM »
I honestly don't know where the support for saying Regenexx is "shady", comes from, nor do I understand the reluctance to try Regenexx over ACI.  (Yes, 15% is a high failure rate, and does not indicate anything about the percentage who make a "full recovery")

ACI or microfracture, or whatever other surgery one is considering is likely going to cost a few thousand after all expenses are considered.  I'd rather pay the $9000 (assuming I needed three Regenexx SD procedures), given what I know about stem cells and their (successful) applications delineated by Dr. Centeno and others (in other fields of medicine).

How anyone can turn a blind eye to Dr. Centeno's continuous updates on his Regenexx webpage is beyond me. It's not like he only has a few cases (he has hundreds), or that he tries to hide the failures (on the contrary, he points them out). 

I am also going to put this out there.. upon viewing other sites I have noticed that there are shills hell-bent on discrediting Dr. Centeno's work due to "insufficient evidence" and "lack of FDA approval".  Some of them are somewhat versed in molecular biology, and can fool those who are not due to their background. Some are just so good at debate, that they can convince well.  And some are just doggedly and vitriolically screaming something to the effect that Dr. Centeno is a quack.

It's all interesting to watch for various reasons. However, I will be the first to say that each individual should CONVERSE with advocates and detractors alike, and carefully analyze not necessarily what is being said, but how.

Offline poke

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 09:46:21 PM »
Hello,
 I had 2 x MACI grfte to the patella and femoral condyle 2yrs ago. The knee is about 50% worse than before the procedure. The post op period is nasty and the long rehab a major intrusion to lifestyle. I would rather go for a TKR.
 Looking back I wish I had tried Regenexx or X cell first! :-[