Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Post-op patella baja....  (Read 7863 times)

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
Re: Post-op patella baja....
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2003, 03:54:39 AM »
Heather:

Look into a medical transportation van to get you to PT. I used one for the whole 3 months I couldn't drive. I don't know how much it cost because workers comp paid for it, but it would definitely be something to investigate. They came to my house, helped me into and out of the van, then were there at the end of PT to take me home. They would have even helped me into the office if I needed it. Hope the six weeks in an immobilizer goes fast. I thought I'd only be one about that long, but then didn't get enough stability or quad strength and had to stay in it for another 6 weeks. I think that was the beginning of a lot of my problems. 12 weeks in an immobilizer is too long!

Laura: I had scar tissue debridement for the third time about 3 months ago. But that was just the immediate problem. The real problem was that I had been avoiding using my quad for the last four years following a quad tendon rupture. My OS told me before the surgery that it would be 6-8 months before we could tell how much the quad would recover function. At my 6 weeks post-op appointment, I couldn't bend my knee more than 50 degrees without my patella subluxing. I still feel it doing what I call "mini subluxing" all the time....not really going out, but feeling like it is going to and catching a little. That still hurts and irritates the knee! I don't have a tracking problem....just a muscle problem. After 3 months, we are just beginning to see some progress. It is a long journey, but with the right PT and dedicated work on your part (and good pain meds!), hopefully you will be abe to regain your quad again, too. Good luck.

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Offline ~*Heather*~

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 4
  • Why me? Why is it always me?
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2003, 06:47:36 AM »
Janet,

Thanks for the information! I didn't know that there was such a thing. I have Tricare insurance. My husband is in the Military so I can call and see what they offer as far as that goes. My post op is tomorrow so I can get more information about when PT is supposed to start. I'll be posting back tomorrow with the outcome of the visit.

Heather
R knee-2 LR's, 1 ITB Release. L knee-LR/medial plication (2/02).Fell postop 3/02 & ruptured quad tendon.Quad tendon repair (8/02).Led to Patella Baja.TTT w/ Quad tendon reefing 9/03.Screw removal 8/04

Offline LuvDirt23

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • ~Megan~
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2003, 10:57:19 PM »
Hi Heather.  I wanted to add something about the transportation to PT.  I am in Cali, and they have programs similar to what Janet was writing about.  Here they are county programs for disabled people.  You can sign up with a letter from your Dr. and they are free if you qualify (which I'm sure you won't have a problem with that).  I'm not sure where you would call, possibly contact the DMV or disability office?  They may be able to direct you in the right direction for info.  Hopefull the military where you are has a program to help you.  Either way good luck!  We have a truck, so I was lucky where I could put my right leg up on the seat and drive with my left foot...which I am still doing.  Getting good at it lol  :D.  I also asked about a disabled parking card.  The Dr. gives them to all serious knee surgery patients, and it has been a huge help when I have to go to the store by myself.  I hope you find something since you will probably start PT soon!!  Now you just need an elevator to get around those stairs  ;)!!  Hope things went well for you today!!

Megan
R Dislocation 12-96.  R Dislocation 6-03.
TTO 7-21-03

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away"

Offline Jillian24

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2003, 03:01:20 AM »
Heather,
   Just wanted to wish you luck with everthing. I hope you get some good answers at PT and the OS. The disability parking permit is soooo awesome! It was a life safer. So make sure you look into that. Hope you having a good day....Jillian
ONE TTT LAST OCT
10 LR'S    ONE MEDIAL RELEASE
STAPH INFECTION.....MANY MONTHS IN HOSPITAL

Offline ~*Heather*~

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2003, 06:35:39 AM »
Megan,

Be careful driving like that! I bet you're pretty good at it though  ;) I need to call my insurance company and ask if driving with a brace on makes you an impaired driver. That means that if you have an accident it would be your fault automatically. Some insurance companies don't let you drive like that.  It's my left leg and I'd be driving my husband's automatic so I don't see why it would be a problem but it could be. We'll see. I just wouldn't want to get pulled over and get a ticket or something.  I wonder if I could? Never really thought about that before.  I won't be driving for another month but when I see the OS again I will ask about the handicapped sticker for parking.  I wish I had done that last time! I just posted about my post op on the '7 week post op TTT' thread and also on Ginger's thread '1 week post op TTT and LR'

Heather  
R knee-2 LR's, 1 ITB Release. L knee-LR/medial plication (2/02).Fell postop 3/02 & ruptured quad tendon.Quad tendon repair (8/02).Led to Patella Baja.TTT w/ Quad tendon reefing 9/03.Screw removal 8/04

Offline LuvDirt23

• Regular Poster
  • ~Megan~
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2003, 07:14:37 AM »
Ohh I never thought of it that way.  That may be true if you were to get into an accident...hmmmm.  Well soon I am hoping to be able to drive normal.  I posted in the other thread that my quad is slowly but surely coming to life  ;D.  If I didn't have to drive I wouldn't.  But if I want to get to PT I have to.  We really don't know many people here, and I don't want to burden the ones I do with driving me 3 times a week for PT.  Anyway definatly ask about the parking card!  When the times comes it will be wonderful for you!  Thanks for the info about the insurance.  I'll have to look into that.  Take care, Megan
R Dislocation 12-96.  R Dislocation 6-03.
TTO 7-21-03

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away"

Offline ~*Heather*~

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2003, 09:40:11 AM »
Megan,

A doctor I used to work for told me about the impaired driver thing.  I never personally looked into it.  He scared me so bad I would take my brace off when I got in the car!  At that point it was only for walking. I had my ROM back and was allowed to use it, I was just unstable.  It may not even be true.  I sure hope it isn't. I'm going to call my insurance company and ask tomorrow though...well I may wait to call since it's the same insurance company I use for renter's insurance and I bet I can't get through with the upcoming hurricane and everyone trying to make sure they are covered...lol.  Oh well, I'll let you know what I come up with  :)

Heather

support