Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: First Post-op Apt.  (Read 1583 times)

Offline GingerT

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
First Post-op Apt.
« on: September 16, 2003, 04:47:35 AM »
Well, I went in for my first appointment and things are looking really good!  I was really nervous to see what the scar was going to be, and I was assuming that it was going to be very large since my surgery ended up being really extensive...BUT...I have 3 little holes where they did the scope, and then about a 3-4 inch incision where he cut the bone.    ;D

My OS said that things are looking really good, and he even started bending my knee...about 20 dg right now. We took x-rays, and I had to walk into the room w/out my brace, it was really scary!!  But we took 3 different x-rays, and you can see the screws...its so odd looking! He told me that he wants me to start doing slight leg bending exercises but only 20-30 dg's and no weight while bent!  And I'm officially allowed to take a shower...how exciting is that!!??!!  

I have to admit, I'm sad to see my cyro/cuff go, but I'm so happy that I finally have a brace that can breathe!  Any tips on icing?

But I'm very excited things are doing so well, and I now feel more "normal." I have to admit though, Its so amazing to see the difference already between my two knees.  My poor left leg will have to be done later...probably about a year (when I can't remember how bad the pain was).  But things are well, and my next appointment is on October 14.

Oh, and to all that have had this surgery done...i recommend that you get a handicap parking sticker!!  They work wonders, and its so much easier when on crutches!! ;)

Heather...It's so funny to see how similar our doctors responses were for post-op.  Im glad to hear that you're doing so well!  Take care and let me know how things go in the future!

Take care! :D,
Ginger
Chronic dislocation both knees
TTT and LR on R Knee 9/4/2003
TTT and LR on L Knee 8/19/2004

Offline Jillian24

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
Re: First Post-op Apt.
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2003, 06:29:29 AM »
GINGER....
    That is so great. I am sooooo happy for you. I would think that you could still use the cyro cuff, I did. But I haven't had the TTT so I can't help ya there. But as far as your shower as I have said before, clean not washed in the sink hair is a BEAUTIFUL thing! That is a huge milestone.
I will counting in you for tips when my big day comes. 10 days without a shower holy moly... Againn, I am so happy for you and I am just so delighted that you are feeling better and see a positive change. Keep us updated, Jillian
ONE TTT LAST OCT
10 LR'S    ONE MEDIAL RELEASE
STAPH INFECTION.....MANY MONTHS IN HOSPITAL

Offline LuvDirt23

• Regular Poster
  • ~Megan~
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2003, 07:32:06 AM »
Hi Ginger.  It sounds like things are going well for you!  Have a wonderful 1st shower lol!!  When I found out they only 'rented' the polar ice machine to me, I bought one.  It was so wonderful, and I have been using it for after my PT sessions.  They have a large selection of things on the internet.  I got mine from Breg.  If I remember they had cold gel pads on there too.  They were under $50 and I'm sure well worth it considering how much use you will get out of it.  I'm not exactly sure what a cyro cuff is...I had the constant ice machine for my surgery.  It was a little $ but has been wonderful.  There is always the frozen bag of peas or plain ole ice  ;).  Glad you are feeling better.  Keep us posted on your progress.  Take care, Megan
R Dislocation 12-96.  R Dislocation 6-03.
TTO 7-21-03

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away"

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2003, 02:49:46 AM »
Ginger:

That's great news. Now you're on your way to recovery! If they don't want you to use the cryo cuff, you can ice for 20 minutes every hour. I know they told me that ice is actually colder than the polar pak, and they preferred I use ice once the immediate time after surgery was over. Keep up the good work!

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Offline Jennie

• Forum Faithful
  • LoveBug
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2003, 05:24:46 AM »
Hey Ginger

It is wonderful to hear that you got good news at the os! I can totally understand how exciting it is(as I am sure we all do that have had surgery) to take a shower :P

Anyway, keep up the good work and I know what you mean about the handicap sticker, my mom had lupus and cannot walk long distances so she has one and I took full advantage of tha when I rode with her!

Good luck and be careful with the bending!

Love,Jennie
21 yrs. old..Right knee injury. Ligament Recon 6-21-01, 2 LR's 3/02 & 9/02
TTT 11/08/02, patella and ligament recon 5/03
Recently dx with OA, Having hardware removed and knee scoped on 6/24/04

support