Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Feeling much better  (Read 1656 times)

Offline knee123

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Feeling much better
« on: September 13, 2003, 07:01:38 AM »
 ::)
I went to PT today and they told me that I was doing AWESOME!  For anyone that is recently recovering from a TTT I am 5 weeks post op and I went to PT today and my ROM is at 142! I still can't touch my heel to my butt, but it is very close.  I still have lots of stiffness and "popping".  I was wondering if anyone else had popping sortly after the realignment.  it happen when I am extending and flexing my kne and when I try to go up and down stairs.  My PT said that my patella was tracking to one side since my VMO wasnt quite built up yet. A liitle discomfoting to hear since I just had surgery  to have it realigned :-/.
Any help on this stiffness and popping would be great.
Heather

Offline GingerT

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
Re: Feeling much better
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2003, 04:38:00 AM »
That is so encouraging to hear that you are doing so well!!  Even though I can't say for myself yet that I have any "popping" (I'm only 1 week post-op TTT & LR), from what I've read in some of the other sections of this message board....many others are in the same situation, and from what I've read, its because your knee is in a new home...and needs time to adjust.  The only thing I would say that you would need to worry about is if it starts to lock.  Then I'd ask your PT or even your OS for some advice!  

I must say your success is definitally uplifting to those of us beginning our long road of recovery!

~Ginger
Chronic dislocation both knees
TTT and LR on R Knee 9/4/2003
TTT and LR on L Knee 8/19/2004

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2003, 08:00:25 PM »
Dear Heather:

That's great news! You are doing amazing. I would be thrilled to have 140 degrees, and I've never had a TTT. As for your popping, it is probably because your VMO is still weak. I don't have tracking problems, but have had quad problems for 4 1/2 years (following a quad tendon rupture and four surgeries). My patella still catches because the quads (and especially the VMO) are weak. This should improve with PT and strengthening. I had my last scar debridement surgery 3 months ago and am finally seeing my VMO return, an encouraging sign! Good luck.

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Offline ~*Heather*~

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 4
  • Why me? Why is it always me?
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2003, 10:20:02 PM »
Heather,

Congratulations!  That is wonderful to hear. I recently had this surgery along with a quad tendon repair revision (September 3rd).  I had severe atrophy to begin with in my quad so I doubt I'll be where you are in that short amount of time. Plus I'm on crutches for another month  :'(

That is so great that you are doing so well. So encouraging to the rest of us. You may want to think about posting your story under 'success stories'. It's nice to read through them when we are having a bad knee day.  Keep up the great work.  Did you do anything special to get there so fast?  How many times a week did you go to PT? Any special exercises that you would like to share?  I'm so jealous of you....hee hee.  

Heather  
R knee-2 LR's, 1 ITB Release. L knee-LR/medial plication (2/02).Fell postop 3/02 & ruptured quad tendon.Quad tendon repair (8/02).Led to Patella Baja.TTT w/ Quad tendon reefing 9/03.Screw removal 8/04

Offline LuvDirt23

• Regular Poster
  • ~Megan~
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2003, 11:10:40 PM »
Heather~

You are doing GREAT!  You should be so happy with your progress!  I am also jealous  :o.  I am 8 weeks po and just past 90 degrees after my TTT.  I haven't had any popping, but I do get very stiff when sitting still for a few minutes and not bending it.  I'm not to the point of going up stairs yet, as my quad hasn't come back still.  It going slow for me.  I wish I could help you on the popping you're having.  Your PT's explanation is probably correct, although it doesn't ease your worries.  Possibly everything else has to 'catch' up on the recovery since your ROM is so far.  Let us know how you are doing!  Its wonderful for me to hear your progress...even if I am jealous of you  ;).

Take care, Megan
R Dislocation 12-96.  R Dislocation 6-03.
TTO 7-21-03

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away"