Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: unreasonable expectations?  (Read 1305 times)

Offline gillyb

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
unreasonable expectations?
« on: July 15, 2009, 10:58:54 PM »
Hi!
I am a  54 yr old homemake with a one year hx of knee pain. I had a left knee arthroscopy 2 1/2 weeks ago. I had a partial med meniscectomy, a band of plica removed and a general tidy up of degenerative cartilage. I have been told that on both the med femoral and tibial condyles  there are areas of bare bone. Also have chronic synovitis and have had a cortisone injection last week to help settle it down. Also diagnosed with Synovial chondromatosis but that it is outside the joint and is insignificant.
 I have been fully weight bearing since day one, and have been working hard on my quads and ROM. In the last week I have also been doing ex in a pool.  BUT I am still having pain on the medial side of my knee on walking and sometimes at night. And today have been feeling the knee might give way. (OK I did do a little too much walking today but it was unavoidalble)
So when should the knee be feeling better. I thought it would be last week if not sooner! Will strengthening the quads and  hams be enough to make things better or will the pain be part of my life until it is so bad that a TKR will be indicated.
I miss long walks with my dog ( I managed all winter in the cold/wet/snow but haven't been able to enjoy the nice weather!) Am I being unreasonable to expect to be able to forget about my knee when moving?
Sorry about the rambling on.
gillyb

Offline lindym

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: unreasonable expectations?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 04:01:14 PM »
I so know what you are going through! I will be having my 4th knee surgery this month, my range of motion in my rt knee is terrible
I am very afraid that this surgery will not be successful, I want to walk again with no pain and have a active life with my son

I remember when I had the same surgery as you did, my story is my knee only got worse and now I am facing a TKR or PKR
I had my first scope about 6 years ago. I hope I am not scarring you, but this is what happened to me, my knee only got worse  :-X

I am 41, so when I was first operated on the doctors told me I was way to young to have any major surgery done.

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 07:36:39 PM »
Yes, you're being unreasonable. Two and a half weeks after surgery is not nearly enough to expect to be pain free. Good grief, give yourself some time. Don't overdo things or you'll just delay the healing. It could be months before you forget about your knee.

Now the reality check. You've damaged your knee and it's never going to be the same. You've had part of the cushion between bones removed and you have bare bones. Bare bones hurt. Your knee will continue to degenerate. You can help yourself by keeping it strong and mobile but you may never be pain free. I rode a bike and swam to prolong the life of my knee. Walking is likely to cause pain so don't overdo it and don't do anything high impact. If it hurts stop.

Offline gillyb

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 12:24:04 AM »
Ok, I get the message. I guess patience is not my strong point! Don't think I questioned my surgeon enough about the post op recovery time frame and he assumed I knew. My fault as I do have a physio background - though have been out for a long time and knees were never my thing - particularly in relation to my own.

So - will try to work on the patience, build up the strengthening and maybe get a bike to take the dog for a run. Thanks

Offline zepher

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 01:41:05 PM »
Hi i feel your pain x i also have had 2 menisoctomys and plica band removed this year, i am currently 3 months since my last op, i still have pain although not unbearable, iv been swimming recently and i now have pain in both knees!!!!!!!! i do an active job were i have to be on my feet all day, and i can cover may miles in one day, i have also asked the question will i ever be pain free? i cant run, i have tried but its not happening, i walk the dogs and can do it but i feel every step, i cant ride horses no more, and when i rode my bike it was good during the ride, but i suffered for a few days after.
I know in my heart of hearts i am heading for a tkr but am trying to just live my life as much as i can while i can. It is very worrying, and i know how your feeling, i dont know exactly if im bone on bone but im pretty sure im not far away from that happening, i also experience night pain in my knee, but still take medication, only anti inflammatories and paracetamol, im not sure when i should stop taking them really, if ever! My os tld me that it may take 3 months to heal, and the 3 months are up this month, and to be honest i cant really see it getting any better, why is it cause i cant run i have the urge, but never even thought about it when i was 'normal' x good luck i know how you feel kerry x

Offline gillyb

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 07:46:55 PM »
Thought I would give an update for those kind enough to reply. I am now 4 1/2 weeks post op. Still having pain though not much of it in the same place as before surgery. Saw my physio yesterday, had isokinetic testing which showed my quads and hams on both legs were rubbish. He did say this was quite usual given that I had done very little ex over the last 6 - 8 months. I had hoped to start stationary bike / cross trainer or some other kind of ex but no , he wants me to stick to the hydrotherapy so left the appointment frustrated. He did say I was making good progress but not sure I agree. Did manage to get a hydro appt last night and was given more ex which have really worked my knees! So now to continue with them so am not so embarrassed by the scores at the next testing and hopefully wll find stairs etc easier.  Still want to get back to the dog walking but even very short walks set off pain and swelling.
Thanks for listening
gillyb

Offline zepher

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 12:32:41 PM »
Dont worry,  thought i would never get better (well i wont ever be 100% again) but it was weird to feel pain free after 4 months post op, i just woke up and got up to walk to the bathroom, and thought oh my god im not in pain!
I does take ages, but you will get better, i still have set backs but its due to the nature of my job (horses) but keep the faith you'll get there x

Offline gillyb

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2009, 10:17:34 PM »
Zepher,
Glad to hear that there is light at the end of the tunnel. It must be great to be painfree.
I am still frustrated by  my lack of progress.  Walking is still painful even on very short distances. Can't keep up with anyone! Still no dog walking. Despite doing all ex given there has been little inprovement in strength and cannot lock knee in extension.
Going on holiday tomorrow- hope some sun and relaxation helps. - but will keep up the ex in the pool- will need to keeo cool.
gillyb