Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: OATS in two weeks  (Read 3664 times)

Offline hammo567

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
OATS in two weeks
« on: January 29, 2008, 03:47:43 PM »
I am having an OATS procedure on FEB the 13th and I am looking for some guidance on what to expect after the surgery.  I had a microfracture in June of 05 that has provided little or no relief.  Just wondering what I can look forward to.  Thanks
Micro fracture and Medial Plica removal: 6/14/2005                    4cm long x 1 cm wide medial femoral condole lesion and small articular lesion of the femoral notch region.  OATS procedure performed on 2/13/o8 on right knee. Pain back talking to surgeons 4/1/11 about allograft to fill in defect.

Offline plantgeek58

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: OATS in two weeks
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 04:41:05 PM »
Hi Hammo,
like you, I had a microfracture that was later revised to an OATS graft. Do you know what type of graft your OS will be doing? Mine was an autograft, which means he harvested the plug from a non-weight-bearing area of my own knee, but some OS prefer to do allografts, which means they take the tissue from a cadaver. At any rate, with mine, the first couple of days were tough. The pain pills took the edge off, but it was still hard to get comfortable and hurt a lot. After the first few days, it got more bearable. My quads shut down for awhile in response to the trauma, which is pretty common. I couldn't do straight leg lifts for about 3 or 4 weeks. Even just trying to lift or move my leg was painful. Once my quads started to respond again, everything got easier. I was NWB for 4 weeks, then PWB for 2 more. That can vary from OS to OS and also depends on where the lesion is located. I didn't have to be in any kind of brace. I started PT as soon as the stiches came out, about a week after surgery and went twice a week for about 3 months, I think (may have been 4- I don't quite remember). My therapist had me do friction massage on the incision, once it had fully closed, to break up any scar tissue that might be trying to form under it. That wasn't fun either, but it worked. I now have only a thin, flat white line for a scar. It took about a year for it to fully flatten out and fade, though. BTW, the incision was about 5 inches long, right down the center of my knee.
That's about all I can think of to tell you, other than that the procedure worked well for me. I'm about 3 years post-op now, still have other problems with that knee, but the latest MRI shows the graft to still be in good shape and my OS said it's the best-looking cartilage in the whole knee. Feel free to ask if you have any more questions and good luck with your surgery.
Terre
RK 7/04 part. m. menisc., plica resect., MF
    3/05 part. m. menisc., open OATS
    1/07 part l. menisc., MF, patellar chondroplasty
    9/08 MF
LK 11/04 & 8/06 part m. menisc.
     7/07 LR, patellar tendon debrid., part m. menisc.

Offline hammo567

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 03:21:02 AM »
Thanks for the input Terre,
As far as I know the plugs will be coming from the non weight bearing side.  They said that I will probably be in a brace for a few weeks to keep the graft from touching.  Anyway I will let everybody know how it goes from here.
Micro fracture and Medial Plica removal: 6/14/2005                    4cm long x 1 cm wide medial femoral condole lesion and small articular lesion of the femoral notch region.  OATS procedure performed on 2/13/o8 on right knee. Pain back talking to surgeons 4/1/11 about allograft to fill in defect.

Offline hammo567

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 05:29:15 AM »
Well I had the OATS procedure on Feb. the 13th and the doc seems pretty pleased with the outcome.  He has me on crutches with NWB for the next 4 weeks and I am locked in a iROM brace at 60 degrees until I see him in two weeks.  I will try and upload the pictures from the scope this week.  I am going to try to keep a journal during my recovery so that other folks who are thinking about this surgery are aware of what it consists of.  Thanks to every one on here, you guys have been so helpful and I have really learned a lot from reading your posts.  Wish me luck. 8)

Offline plantgeek58

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 03:32:52 PM »
Hi Hammo,
Glad to hear that things went well and you're doing OK. I'll be interested to read your post-op diary and compare notes with my experience. Good luck.
Terre
    9/08 MF

Offline hammo567

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 06:58:05 AM »
Well I have been back to work now since March 28th and so far so good.  The doctor tells me that I will need to get about 10 years out of this because after this it would be TKR.  So anyway I just wanted to update this.

Offline plantgeek58

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2008, 04:23:21 PM »
Congratulations, Hammo. I'm happy to hear that it worked for you. Thanks for the update.
Terre
    9/08 MF

Offline hammo567

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 05:38:55 AM »
Beggining to have pain in the kneee again ???.  It has been over a year now and I am the most inactive I have ever been.  Swelling hasn't started yet but the pain and cracking when I bend is back.  Has anyone had any success with the fluid injections or would I be wasting my time.  Calling the OS tomorrow to try to get in and see what the deal is.

support