Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: reconstruction medial patella ligament???????  (Read 21515 times)

Offline Judey

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: reconstruction medial patella ligament???????
« Reply #75 on: September 17, 2007, 07:08:11 PM »
Hi Cherising
I was scheduled for MPFL using a hamstring graft. However, the post op MRI showed a fair bit of "activity" within the joint. My surgeon said he would rather do an arthroscopy and clean up the cartillage tears and debris that was floating about first, and then do the rest of it at a later date. He said he could do it all at once but it would increase the risks due to the amount of time under anaesthetic and tourniquet etc.

When I came rouind after my op, I had been in theatre 1hour fourty instead of the fourty mins estimation. I found that I had microfracture in three places, and a lateral release. This has puzzled me a bit as it was totally unexpected. As was the brace, and non weight bearing. The three weeks off work has now also almost doubled, and Im still at home. I dont mind though as I trust my O/S and physio.
Anyhow, the leak I had was fluid. I lost about one pint in  total.The looseness was due to the loss of fluid buffering the joint. My physio said in a way it was a good thing as it would have taken much longer to get rid of the fluid through the normal channels.

Well I see my surgeon at the end of the week. Im a little worried in case I have built my hopes up too much and he tells me that the knee is knackered after all. Im not usually a negative person, but these knee jobs have you on an emotional roller coaster dont they?.

Im sure your op will go ok. I still plan to go ahead with the MPFL if my surgeon thinks it will be of good benefit. Though Ive used nearly all of my sickness leave for this year, and next March Im cruising the far east, then my daughter is getting married in July, (she's also a musician by the way) so certainly dont want such a big op before that shin dig.

Anyhow, take care, dont worry and post soon to let us know how you are
Best wishes Jude
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 07:14:05 PM by Judey »
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called "The Present"

Offline lisa.p

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #76 on: September 26, 2007, 02:27:27 PM »
Hi al!!!

Imust apoligise for not keeping up to date with knee geeks im so sorry!!!

wow well it al seems like everyone has made progress and had there ops- well done everyone!!!
I went to the os yesterday and saw the dr i saw at last visit - always helps!
and she was happy that i had made progress even thought i hadnt been going to physio due to child care- my hubbys gone back to work now so i have no one to watch kelsie!!
i informed her that i have just found out im pregnant - yes im preg!!!!! mad i no!!!
she said that knee was making progress with a rom of 70-80 whist sitting with legs over the bench but trying to pul up leg into bend position frm laying is still very poor!!! she informed me that this was due to my quads not working and how i must really work on my quads!!! told me that i can cary on taking pain meds but not in the later stages of pregnancy due to baby heart rate which the meds would affect!
so i didnt fee al that great taking the tablets but its a no win situation if i dont take the meds of a night time i spend most of the night uncomfortable unable to sleep meaning im not getting the right amount of sleep for babys development so im trying to sound possitive and thinking that if i take them then at least im getting the right amount of sleep for baby and me as i do have to look after my 2 year old so it does hep as pregnancy makes you feel so tired anyway!!!
as for my views i left the hospital with a open appointment not sure how my knee would be just carrying on as iam??? will it stay like this forever? im still realy crapp at stairs and can wak up them one leg at a time but walking dwn is terrible so when wil that get better will i ever be allowend to bend etc etc etc!!!! so much more confused as when i went!!!

im still getting aa fair bit of pain in the evenings the os told me that i was suffering with knee pain as my quads cant take the work so it resuts in my knee doing it which then causes pain so ie get the quads to wake up!!!

anyhow how is everyone?
has anyone joint the facebook groups- kneegeeks? etc ?????
pls do so its great!!!

hope everyone is making progress im amazed to see how your recovering post op and the difference of post op care!!!!!
spk soon everyone
bye fir now lisa
xx
Long term knee pain, for 15 years plus,
clicking,giving way,recurrent dislocations
many years of physio
loads of arthoscopys
trillait procudure
mri/xrays
removal of screws
some more dislocations
reconstruction medial patella ligament.
may 07
recovering and more recovering!!!!!
Lisa.p
  x

Offline Judey

• Regular Poster
« Reply #77 on: September 30, 2007, 11:46:28 AM »
Hi Lisa
Congratulations on the pregnancy!!!! Its a bit of a dilemma isn't it with the pain meds and lack of sleep etc. But Im sure your doing the right thing. Im doing really well, Consultant has discharged me, thats a bit scarey isn't it because you do feel a bit out on a limb.
Anyhow, I still have my wonderful physio, and the consultant said he will refer me back if the need arises.
The physio is really pleased with my progress, and I ve asked him for help with my gait, as I was having a lot of back ache from limping and over compensating with my "good" knee. Hes given me a sort of foam wobbly board, and I have to stand on it on one leg. It really provides an excellent work out and is quite difficult. When I mastered the standing, I had to do stunts like swinging one leg out to the side etc. I went back to work on Wednesday after being cleared to drive, and we all had fun with the wobble board.
Anyhow, my consultant said it would be at least four months before I felt the improvements from my op, and about six months to fully heal. I must admit though I feel much better already, although there is a way to go. I dont know what to hope for, and Im a bit worried in case I hope for too much and am disappointed. I keep thinking perhaps I will be able to do yoga agiain, or learn to play golf. But really if I could walk a couple of miles without limping and being in pain, and visit my daughter in London and enjoy walking around the sights etc. I would be very happy. Anyway, good luck with your recovery, I expect cherising will have had her op by now Ill keep looking in to see how everyone is faring
X Jude
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called "The Present"

Offline tamara jo

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #78 on: July 02, 2009, 03:38:17 PM »
Lisa,
 Hi my name is Tamara my son has to have MPFL reconstruction July 17. I see you also had this surgery. Any advice please? I am worried about pain he is scheduled for inpatient/outpatient surgery? Is this likely? His surgeon says it will take a year for recovery? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Best of luck to you.
Tamara

Offline tamara jo

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #79 on: July 10, 2009, 04:33:40 PM »
Lisa,

Hi my name is Tamara my son is 17 he has to have MPFL reconstruction surgery on July 17, after reading your post I understand you also had the same surgery. We are scared, he has dislocated his knee the first time 3 years ago he had surgery to repair the tendons 4 months later, since his first surgery he has had 8 dislocations leaving his right knee in real bad shape. His doctor says he will be in/outpatient surgery, I am worried because with his first surgery a different doctor preformed that one, we found out after we got home he was allergic to vicodin he was very ill and in alot of pain he ended up taking motrin and alternating with tynelol. They are saying he will have at least a year long recovery?  I know he will have a brace we pick that up monday he also talked about a machine CPM i think that will move his leg to a certain degree?
Any advice is greatly appreciated
Tamara

support