Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: need help for shower/tub entry/exit  (Read 7851 times)

Offline flipflop

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
need help for shower/tub entry/exit
« on: July 09, 2005, 04:44:09 PM »
Hi,

I am looking for that "product you couldn' do without."  I have a shower stool which is great.  However, HOW do you get in and out of the tub?  We have a tub/shower combo and I would love to know if there is some product to help with getting in and out.  The problem is balance and ROM.  Am scared I am going to fall and bust something.

Thanks!

flipflop
91 LR, medial reefing, debridement; 93 Fulkerson osteotomy, debridement; 94 scar revision (suture allergy) hardware removal; 95 debridement; 3/05 LR, debridement led to staph infection & 2 irrigation & lavages;
arthrofibrosis; 7/06 LOA & AIR; 1/07 peroneal n. damage

shadehawk

Re: need help for shower/tub entry/exit
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2005, 04:52:47 PM »

http://www.miami-med.com/tub_rails.htm  -  another type of bath rail.....

This looks like the one I have, they are called 'super poles'.  You can also get get this removable type that look really sturdy & handy.

Good luck,

Shade
« Last Edit: July 09, 2005, 05:08:19 PM by Shade »

Offline SallyW

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2005, 07:05:41 PM »
Honestly, it isn't that difficult. Even when I was wearing a full leg immobilizer and NWB, I got in and out of the tub with nothing but upper body strength (which you develop lots of while NWB!). This time I'm NWB but no brace - still not difficult. Park your hands on either side of the tub (make sure that the tub and your hands are relatively dry so you don't lose your hold), park your good foot under your behind, and push with all you've got. You land on the side of the tub...easy....You have to experiment a bit to allow for your individual body characteristics, but if I can do it (I'm your average middle age gal), just about anyone can.

This is my 3rd really major operation; I've discovered that I can do most activities of daily living with not much more than a bit of creativity and common sense. :-)

Right knee: LR/TTT 1995 Left knee: LR/TTT 2000, Microfracture & partial meniscus removal 2004, Synvisc 2004, Unloader 2004, OATS 6/20/2005, Synvisc 2006, Debridement 2006

shadehawk

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2005, 07:47:06 PM »
Sally,

That is really good advise if you have both sides of the tub available - what do you suggest if that is not the case.....many places are not set up like your place. 

Our's for instance had doors on one side (now taken off) & the side of the tub is part of the wall, nothing to grab onto there - so handrails on the wall or a pole is the best bet...Everyone has a different situation and sometimes these aids help people....

Shade                                                           
  wall grab bars

« Last Edit: July 09, 2005, 07:50:06 PM by Shade »

Offline SallyW

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2005, 07:55:06 PM »
If you don't have both sides of the tub, then you use the wall or whatever- maybe put both hands on the side of the tub that is there!...honestly, I have been in a variety of places for my knee operations, none of which have been "ideal" - most have, at first glance, been entirely undoable and completely inassessible. But there's always been a way to "make do"...I've just tried to avoid making my home look like a hospital or nursing home.

JMHO
Right knee: LR/TTT 1995 Left knee: LR/TTT 2000, Microfracture & partial meniscus removal 2004, Synvisc 2004, Unloader 2004, OATS 6/20/2005, Synvisc 2006, Debridement 2006

Offline flipflop

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2005, 09:31:52 PM »
Thanks Shade and SallyW!

Shade, I liked the tub mounted handle.

SallyW, you sound quite resourceful.  After reading your response, I have come up with an idea I will try.  Sitting on the edge of the tub and rotating in.  I have so little quad strength that it's hard to get my leg in and out.

flipflop
91 LR, medial reefing, debridement; 93 Fulkerson osteotomy, debridement; 94 scar revision (suture allergy) hardware removal; 95 debridement; 3/05 LR, debridement led to staph infection & 2 irrigation & lavages;
arthrofibrosis; 7/06 LOA & AIR; 1/07 peroneal n. damage

Offline SallyW

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2005, 10:56:15 PM »
Flipflop - yes, that's how I get in the tub - it really works fine! You'll have to experiment a bit like I said in order to get the right leverage for your body type and all, but it really works.

Resourceful - yes, I guess I've learned to be. When I think about some of the places I've lived and worked following major knee operations - you just figure out ways to do things. Everyone is different, but I really haven't wanted to clutter my life and house with stuff that I won't need again...yes, I know that even with OATS, I'm probably looking at a TKR in about 10 years, so my knees aren't permanently fixed, but if/when it comes time for a TKR, I still won't want medical stuff in my life - gets in the way of my backpacking gear (honestly!).

It's true - you can get little gizmos that pick up things from the floor for you - sort of like long handled tweezers! I could've used those this morning when I dropped noodles on the floor (arrrgh!). But I just started doing the "swan dive" on my "better" leg (so it's a bit trashed also. Oh well) and got them picked up, *one at a time*! But since I expect to be walking normally again before long, why clutter my life with stuff?

Oh - plastic bags. Those are my "can't do without" "product". They're easily available (snort!), easy to toss, non medical, and work for carrying a lot of things. Easier to deal with than a backpack. I used to hop through small stores (that don't have scooters) stuffing things in my pockets until I got to the register, but I felt like such a criminal (even though I always paid for everything).  :P The plastic bags seem more law abiding!

shadehawk

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2005, 11:37:49 PM »
FlipFlop,

Another thing to remember is that you will have the chair in the tub also.  Some of the chairs have those suction cup things on the bottom and maybe that might give you alot of stability also.

The best thing you can do is trial and error - find what works best for you..Anything on here are just things that people have found that works for them in their situations...Some might be helpful and other's not...

Good luck,

Shade[/color]

Offline JenSinclair

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Canis meus id comedit.
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2005, 01:48:30 PM »
Flipflop, I put the shower chair into the tub facing outwards, then just sit down onto it...with the brace still on.  I am still in "don't get that incision wet" land, so I then take off the brace and tuck it into a corner where it won't get soaked -- but where I can reach it.  Next, I Saran Wrap the portion of my leg with the TTT incision.  Then, I shower...turning the hose part off when I'm not holding it (we have some pretty amazing water pressure here!).  When finished, I get myself as dry as possible, then put the brace back on and stand up...

I'm short and have good quad strength, so sitting down onto the stool isn't a problem.

Good luck!
Jen
LR/TTT 3 August 2006, RK
LR/TTT 16 June 2005, LK
CPMs are evil.

Offline michelel

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2009, 04:37:27 PM »
Thanks for all the advice yall, OATS coming up and I've been racking my brain trying to figure this shoer thing out.  I was even thinking of puttin in an open door shower.
Right Knee:  1983 meniscal tear scope debridment &lateral release. 1991, 1997, 2001
2003 scope meniscal tears. 
8-08 MFX MFC lesion FAILED.
 4-09 Went in for OATS-not a canidate.
 6-09 Uni Right MFC.

Offline xdancex

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • 12 knee surgeries
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2009, 04:20:08 AM »
hey for me i had a comode or however you spell it. and i would just put it into the shower and sit in it. it got rid of the risk of me falling because probably like you i couldnt stand there..

hope that helps a little!!
12 knee surgeries
7 scopes
4 meniscal repairs
1 MX

Offline Yurko

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2009, 11:17:21 AM »
Found and will be getting a transfer bench.  Part of it goes in tub, part is out of tub.  You sit on it and slide on bench into tub.  Has backrest and bar.  I can't lift my leg into tub without sitting and sliding.  Makes showering easy sitting down.  Namaste
Our only limitations are those that are self-imposed.

Offline leannehammer

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2009, 12:14:26 PM »
I am looking to get a travel shower chair/bench and was wondering what your opinions are. What did you buy, did you like it, where did you get it... stuff like that.