Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Patellar Tendon Rupture and Holy Cow there's no one answer!  (Read 5313 times)

Offline griz

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
I ruptured my patellar tendon on June 22, 2009.  I had the repair done on june 29th.  They repaired the tendon and installed a titanium figure 8 wire that attaches my patella to my lower leg.  This is suppose to give stability to my patella while the tendon heals.  The doc said that it's very possible it would stay in there that he only takes it out if it causes pain or somehow inhibits rehab.  I am currently in a full leg brace and ace bandage to keep the wound clean.  I am suppose to get my staples out on the 10th of July.

After reading many stories on here it would appear that no two are alike.  My surgeon fully believes that I should be able to get full rom back very quickly and will start bending it when I get the staples out.  He said I will be fully recovered (ie 100%) within 3-4 months.  Are these goals realistic?  Thanks!

Bob

Offline arosemounte

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Patellar Tendon Rupture and Holy Cow there's no one answer!
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 01:04:22 AM »
Hi, I'm kind of in the same boat. Had a completely severed quad tendon injury on Saturday 6/27/09 and emergency surgery early Sunday(28th) morning. I am new to this board as well and don't know the time frame for reponses.  I don't have any idea as yet what to expect either, my appt w/ the surgeon is this Coming Tuesday. If you want to compare or commiserate by all means send me a note. I hope you are keeping your spirits up, that has been the biggest challenge for me so far.

Angela

Offline griz

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 01:53:21 AM »
I know what you mean.  I've been very disappointed by the lack of responses here as I don't know where else to get firsthand experience/advice from people.  My spirits are good as I have a strong support system here but I am growing weary of the whole helpless feeling of having my wife wait on me hand and foot.  I am hoping that come Friday I will be able to get rid of the crutches even if it means keeping the brace on. 

Offline griz

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 09:23:00 PM »
Well, a quick update and I would appreciate any and all input.  I am now officially two weeks since my surgery to repair my ruptured Patellar tendon.  Today is my first week back at the office and I am working partial days.  I decided to officially try and bend my knee to the point that my body told me to stop.  I can get it to 45 degree's with no pain however I do stop at that point as my staples are in and they start to pinch.  Is 45 degree's average for two weeks post surgery?  My knee is still very swollen so I am hoping that between getting the stitches out and the decreased swelling that I will be able to bend it a bit more.  Again, any thoughts are appreciated!

Bob

Offline Joshuuaa

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009, 03:59:59 AM »
Wow, my patellar tendon rupture was June 24th last year and my surgery on the 28th.

45 degrees is amazing for that short after the injury. My guess is that you shouldn't be bending your leg yet, though each surgery is different. Was it a partial tear? That might be the difference between our cases. I was in a cast until 6 weeks post-op and then I started regaining ROM. My doctor said that any movement of the joint at that point would rip the surgery apart, so absolutely don't push it!

Ironically enough, mine was a partial tear at first, but being unable to get from the woods back to civilization in a timely manner changed that...

Earlier today in another thread I made a long post giving every piece of advice I could possibly think of regarding the recovery process:

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=48075.msg466837#msg466837

It's a long road ahead, but there's plenty to be learned from it. Good luck! Be careful this winter...
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 04:07:33 AM by Joshuuaa »

Offline griz

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2009, 04:21:14 AM »
Josh, thank you for the reply.  I was starting to thinking posting here was a complete waste of time due to lack of responses.  My doc said to do whatever I wanted as long as it does not hurt.  Bending at 45 does not hurt at all but the swelling is keeping me from going more.  I am also walking with no problems at all as long as I have my crutches in my arms just in case.  I don't walk far without them (3 or 4 steps total) but enough to know that I am doing ok.  I drove my wife on a date tonight and was able to keep my knee bent in the vehicle with no problems.  I will read your post here shortly.  Again, thank you for posting!

Bob

Offline griz

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2009, 04:29:49 AM »
Josh, I just read your other post.  Thanks for taking the time to write all of that.  I must say that what appears to be normal for most has not been for me.  I am in no pain ever.  The only thing that hurts is if my brace pushes into my lower calf.  Otherwise, other then being inconvenient, this injury has been fairly innocent.  My doc said that I should expect a full recovery in 4 months but I think that might be a bit optimistic.

Bob

Offline subail

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • The glass is always half full!
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2009, 11:37:33 AM »
griz, you need to go to this link where you will find an abundance of information!!!

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=8389.2235

There are many of us!!!!
Dislocation of left patella and as a result left patellar tendon rupture in the medial section/torn at both ends.
3 Previous surgeries-semitendiosis tenodesis
Reconstruction surgery left knee October 10 '07
TKR right knee May 25 '10.....successful!
Limited ROM/TKR left knee May 25 2015...successful.