Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Knee problem.  (Read 890 times)

Offline willhub

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Knee problem.
« on: June 26, 2009, 12:43:15 PM »
Hi, I've got a slightly problem with my knee, but I do hope it's not bad enough that I need to quite cycling, I do allot of cycling and am hoping to do a weekly 100 miler tomorrow and in another week I've got a 180mile Audax scheduled and would hate to miss it!!!  :'(

Basically I had knee pain that was causing problems now and again, I took a long while off the bike and it went away, but it came back, anyway I got an MRI scan and it says everything is ok but I have a small patch of wear on the Articular Cartilage under the Knee Cap, now I feel my knee clicks allot and when I move my knee cap it seems like maybe there is bits of stuff that moves around in there? It's a sort of dull pain and sometimes radiated into my quads and calf muscles.  It comes and goes really, if I basically play around with my knee, relaxing my leg so the knee cap is sort of relaxed I can move it around with my fingers, and if I wiggle my leg and all that it helps too.

I take certain things:
Glucosamine Sulphate 2x 500mg
Omega Fish Oil 1x 500mg
I use Simply Supplements Super Strenght Glucosamex Joint Gel that I just rub on my knee
I also take multi vitamins

One of the most odd things is, actually getting on my bike and cycling the pain goes away, it's only some time after cycling that it starts, I find my knee gives me bother just sitting there with my legs bent.

Any idea what to do? Is it ok to keep on with my cycling but just take rests between?

Thanks
   Will.

Offline MorganaKC

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Knee problem.
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 09:54:16 PM »
Did your knee start clicking after the MRI? How long after? Clicks and locks are usually signs of a piece of meniscus that's either detached or torn, which could be the feeling you're describing. It might be wise to talk to an OS and maybe get another MRI to check, if you've had another injury.

The circular movement of cycling is very good for knee rehab; the motion smooths the articular cartilage and it's good to keep the joint moving. It's also non weight-bearing, so you don't get the pain during it.

As for continued cycling, I don't think I'm qualified to answer that, sorry! =) If you do these long rides, it could injure it more. But it is important to you. It depends what your priorities are.

I hope you get it sorted out!
R KNEE
Partial medial menisectomy Nov 05
Partial lateral menisectomy Aug 06
Partial menisectomy/ACLr Apr 07
Partial medial menisectomy May 08
Synvisc Jan 09

Offline willhub

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Knee problem.
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 10:59:25 PM »
Thanks for the comment.

The pain has sort of eased off now, I'm hoping to still do my ride tomorrow, I'll inspect my knee in the morning. 

The pain and clicking has being here before the MRI scan aswel, if I really stretch my leg out, like tensing the quads too there is abit of a click and I guess my knee cap creeks, cant hear it, just feel it, but only on certain movements, usually very restricted movements.  I have noticed sometimes when cycling in the left of my right knee, slightly above the knee cap this appears to be where a clicking comes from at the pedal strokes, but the pain I get when not on the bike is usually to the bottom or top of the knee cap, but it sort of moves around.

I would get another MRI scan, unsure how long it takes I had to wait about 3-4 weeks for mine, that's not long compared to how long some people have to wait for though, even then I was lucky to get in, got the last appointment, if that one was taken I'd still be waiting now!!

support