Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Pain while sitting  (Read 3541 times)

Offline Sharon

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
Pain while sitting
« on: September 28, 2002, 08:34:25 PM »
Hi everyone,
I'm 12 weeks post-op from a TTT/LR and wanted to ask a question. Is it normal to have a huge amount of pain when sitting for a long time after this surgery? I've had pain before while sitting but today was the absolute worst! I had to take one of my teaching certification tests and it took me 3 hours to complete. Let's put it this way, there were 80 multiple chioce questions that I had to do before an essay and by number 40 I was in pretty bad pain :(  The worst was when I stretched my leg out-it felt like I had a stabbing pain going right through my knee. Throughout the whole test I had to keep stopping to mentally get myself to not think about the pain anymore. Right now it's not so bad anymore, just really achy and still a few less severe shooting pains. My knee is also kind of hot so I know there's alot of inflammation going on. I thought this surgery was supposed to make me better? What's going on? Has anyone else had these problems after a TTT? Please help! I see my OS on thursday and I definitely plan to get answers out of him! Thanks for any help!

Sharon
Left knee:
LR-5/99 & 9/01
Distal realignment and LR 7/02
TTT revision 6/03
screw removal/MUA 10/03
d/x with severe patella baja
7/05 patellar tendon replacement w/piece of quad tendon
4/07 OATS

Offline tazmanian_devil

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • I guess you can't teach an old quad new tricks
Re: Pain while sitting
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2002, 09:01:45 PM »
I don't think they would have done that op on you unless you had maltracking patella type problems right? So my opinion is you have cartilage damage from that which will heal somewhat with time. If I were you I would ask the OS about anti-imflamitory medicine. Ps. it is normal, search chrondromalcia and theater sign.
L ACL Recon. L lat. meniscus tear 1991, R Dislocated 1996, R ACL partial tear, MCL tear 08/01, R Chondroplasty 2/14/02, R Lateral Release-Medial Reefing-Chondroplasty 12/3/02.

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 13
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2002, 09:43:40 PM »
Sharon,

I've only had LR and clean-up scopes, but I'm still only able to sit for limited periods of time.  When I try to work at my computer, I'll get the throbbing aching pain, swelling, and eventually I just have to get up and elevate my leg.

No one can give me any answers...the best is that I have scar tissue that's being compressed when I sit with my leg bent or chondromalacia pain from the damage on the back of my kneecap (theater sign, as Tazmanian Devil said).  I haven't found any solutions, just ways to make it slightly more tolerable--get up, stretch, even do some ROM and other work on the floor.  I also have a tilting footrest to change the angle and take some pressure off my knees.  Nothing works well, just ok.

I haven't flown on a plane since last November because of this problem...but I have had *slight* improvement--I used to be able to sit for only 20 mins at a time, now I'm up to about 2 hours.  But after that I'm shot....

I've even looking into special workstations, but these seem to transfer pain to some other part of your body.  The best prospect was a zero gravity recliner (I work from home so this would be ok) but the thought of trying to type with a keyboard in my lap like that was brutal for me.  I've also got a bum shoulder that I have to baby or it flares up, too.

You might look at www.officeorganix.com or www.relaxtheback.com for some of their special footrests, chairs, armrests, and even workstations.  They might give you some ideas.

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline Danielle

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2002, 02:16:34 AM »
~Sharon~
I'm also 12 weeks post-op on the same surgery and I'm going through the same thing. Think of it this way: they opened you up, cut through muscles, chipped away at bone, moved around parts of your knee, and completely changed the way your knee tracks. This surgery takes about a year for total recovery. It's completely not surprising that you have pain. You're not completely healed yet. If the pain is still there in a year then you should worry. Until then, keep up with PT or whatever rehab you're doing and ice at least 4x a day for 20 min. It works for me.

~*~Danielle~*~
I had a modified Trillat TTT and LR done on 6/26/02
Original injury in October of 1998 due to a horseback riding accident

Offline jade

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2002, 11:59:11 AM »
I have the same question and problem.  I am glad to hear I am not alone but I am sorry you are experiencing the pain (I know how you feel).  I am post op 12 weeks and just going back to work.  The pain is still an issue and I continue to take medicine.  I keep trying advil but it just is not enough.  Sometimes even with the pain medicine I get tears (not crying but tears from the pain, it is so strange). ???  Anyway, I start back to work part-time in about 4 hours (yeap, another night of waking after a few hours of sleep) and I hope all goes well.  I figure I am lucky that I have been able to take off this much time but I also feel a couple more weeks would be beneficial.  I go to pt 3x weekly and would not miss it.  I know it is how I have gotten this far with my healing.

I have not spent too much time sitting because of the pain.  I sat for about 1 hour at the computer Friday and that was awful so I probably am in for a rude awakening in a few hours.  I wish I had answers but from what I can tell with my case I have been through phases of recovery/pain so I hope this is just another one that will pass (but how long will it last?).

I am so glad I found the kneeguru before this I felt so alone with the pain and recovery :).  Until you experiene knee surgery you just have no idea what pain really is...(I know that things could be worse so I do count my blessing everyday.)

Jade
tibial plateau fracture - July 5
plate, 4 screws, synthetic coral, femur smashed into tibia crushing it, splintering off 3 pieces vertical, bicycle seat broke the bone horizontal (ouch)

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2002, 06:03:19 PM »
It's only been in the last two months that I have been able to sit without pain. This is three years after my original surgery. Now I can sit more comfortably with minimal discomfort. However, I still get stiff after about 20-30- minutes. My doctor said this is to be expected. He says it's not hurting anything if I sit longer, I'll still be stiff. I have to make sure I get up and move around.

So what made the difference after all this time? I started taking Celebrex. I can't believe that was all it took, after all this time.

It hasn't made a difference in my ability to walk. I still limp and have pain. But it's great to be able to sit at my desk and work without so much pain.

You are still so early in your recovery. Give it time. Good luck.

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

support