Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: my pre/post aclr diary 15/6/09  (Read 4357 times)

Offline zarayyan

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: my pre/post aclr diary 15/6/09
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2009, 08:13:14 AM »
Thanks Vinic

Offline zarayyan

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2009, 08:32:35 AM »
I've started to record my exercise diary in more detail above. This is just so that I stay on track. I am hoping it will help me to keep up the rehab regularly. It also gives me a time guide so I can spread out the exercises and vary them. It's starting to pay off already!

Offline JoH

• Regular Poster
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2009, 10:25:43 AM »
Hi Zarayyan

I had a hamstring graft, but on my right knee about 5.5 weeks ago.  You sound like you're going really well with rehab and have a great PT.  I'm also going to ACL classes but am being told to take it easy on the bike/cross trainer (only about 15 mins at a time).  Do you have the wobble boards/cushions to practice your balance?
Take care
Jo
Torn ACL in February 2009 complete tear of PL bundle; AM bundle there but slack
Arthroscopy and hamstring reconstruction on May 27 2009
at Benenden Hospital, UK

Offline zarayyan

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2009, 10:37:46 PM »
Hi Jo,

I have been told not to practice on the wobble board yet. My next acl class is not until next week now, so I will know what extra exercises I can do then. I've also been told to take it easy on the bike. I've gone close to 30 mins and did 5 mins on level 3 resistance today. I really should only being doing level 1 and 2 ! But I'm listening to my knee and so far so good. Hope your rehab is going well.

take care

Zarayyan

Offline zarayyan

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2009, 11:29:55 PM »
Something I have noticed is a faint yellow patch on my calf and one above my knee cap. It doesn't hurt so I can't imagine it is bruising, but I have no idea what it is?? Can anyone enlighten me?

Offline mollyc

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2009, 02:09:52 AM »
Is the patch new? Or has it been there all along? If it's new, I'd say bruising.  Some of my bruising was very faint and yellow, and, didn't really hurt that much. If it's been there since the surgery, it's probably the antibacterial stuff they put on your leg when they prepare it for surgery.  They are supposed to wash it off post-surgery, before you wake up. In my case, they didn't do such a good job and I had 2 patches of it on my leg when I came home. Since I wasn't allowed to scrub my leg (could get it wet, but not scrub) it took forever to come off.
Ski accident 2/14/09
Ruptured ACL, MCL sprain, bone bruise
ACLr allograft 5/27/09
Knee now 100% fine...skiing and playing tennis regularly

Offline zarayyan

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2009, 08:43:57 PM »
Hi Molly,

I'm not sure if it's new. I only noticed it a few days ago. Your explanations to what it might be sounds about right. I'm gonna try to give it a good old scrub tonight without getting my main incision wet.

Offline zarayyan

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2009, 09:41:26 PM »
Not much structured exercise done in the last couple of days, so not even gonna bother recording it. The builders have gone, so I have been on my feet doing a lot of cleaning. Also loads of walking around in the last couple of days. Also went to the kids sports day. I'm glad there wasn't a parents race this year otherwise would have made a fool of myself and then had to go through a second aclr (lol). Need to get back on track!

The scars are looking good. The keyhole ones are very smooth and small now. The main incision has dried well, stitches have dissolved and it is not as painful anymore. The knee is still swollen after lots of walking or exercising, which i think is the only thing stopping me from getting full flexion, but the legs are definitely feeling much stronger.

Offline zarayyan

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2009, 09:18:34 PM »
Went to ACL class today. There was a different physio to a fortnight ago. He was really good. He moved me on to 3 new exercises to really work the hamstrings and glutes. He also let me step up the resistance on the bike, got me on the wobble board and said I could do some light jogging on a trampette or on the spot. So he really wants me to push on today.

The good thing is there was only three of us in the class today, so we each had plenty of time with the physio. I told him about a clicking I can feel in my knee in the last couple of days and he reassured me that it isn't the graft.

I feel positive that I can push on now.

Offline lasqueen

• Regular Poster
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2009, 10:23:06 PM »
Huzzah! Jogging on a trampette! Sounds like things are going well!

Offline zarayyan

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2009, 10:13:54 PM »
Yeah, I love the trampette thing. I use my kids mini trampoline. The jogging makes me feel like I am moving my whole body again, whilst keeping the knees very soft.

The hamstring strength work has really made me ache, but I can feel the difference already!

Offline mollyc

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2009, 03:58:18 AM »
Sounds like things are continuing to go great for you! What are you doing for your hamstrings and glutes? Do you find the mini trampoline challenging balance wise? I would imagine it would require more balance than, say, the elliptical. I haven't seen the mini trampoline at my PT, so I might not get to experience it...
Ski accident 2/14/09
Ruptured ACL, MCL sprain, bone bruise
ACLr allograft 5/27/09
Knee now 100% fine...skiing and playing tennis regularly

Offline zarayyan

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2009, 04:24:30 PM »
Hi Molly,

The mini trampoline is great! It has a bar that I can hold onto. When I used it at acl class the physio told me to use it near a bar/ledge that I could hold onto for balance. Although my balance is quite good and I can manage without holding on.

For the hamstrings and glutes I have been told to do single leg bridges, lie down, keeping the thighs in line, holding the bridge for about 10-15 secs then lowering and raising up again. (reps)

Also single leg squats - balancing on operated leg, then bending knee over toes as if to sit in a chair, the back up to standing again (as many reps as possible)

I have also been told to do single leg step ups using operated leg only to take all the weight, stepping down with unoperated leg but don't touch the floor, push straight back up again.

Quite tough exercises to begin with so only 2-3 at a time. Also better to do them slowly and carefully.

vinnic

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2009, 05:14:32 PM »
Sounds like things are going well for you zarayyan.  I like that you have a bar you can hold onto if you needed to with the trampoline.  Molly, I didn't see a trampoline at my place either (it's rather small and sparse compared to other places).  My therapist surprised me though by bringing one out from the file room after I asked about using one!  The other exercises you're doing sound really good z.  Continue to heal and best of luck in your recovery!

Offline zarayyan

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2009, 07:49:56 AM »
Yes, I have been very slack and missed the last couple of days of recording my diary. Today my Kung Fu instructor is holding a kung fu seminar in Crystal Palace Park. I really wanted to meet up with all my kung fu buddies, so I decided I would go down to offer my support but be very disciplined about not joining in.

Well, I managed to hold off joining in for most of the day. I mainly advised and guided those that needed help. Although at the end once my buddies started to play chi sau (sticking hands – a sensitivity training game) it was too difficult to resist. I felt confident joining in, but I told everyone to go easy on me because of the knee. Actually, I ended up giving them a hard time! After that small taste of training again, I can’t wait to get back to teaching and opening up my class again.