Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Fulkerson surgery on 4/14/09  (Read 4379 times)

Offline kerristevenson

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
    • K & S Graphics
Fulkerson surgery on 4/14/09 - showering & PAIN MEDS?
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2009, 04:51:21 AM »
i slipped in the bathroom tonight .. but on a good note I was able to shower .. well sitting in teh shower but neverless it was a wonderfull feeling to get in there and made me feel human again.. Gotta love those garbage bags and packing tape.

Well tomorrow I am one week post op. the pain is still bad but what can I say this is a horrible surgery and takes time to recover. Thank god my mom and dad have been here this first week and my sister will be here for the next few weeks. with a 1 year old this has been very hard to deal with.

I don't know when I should be able to get off some of these pain meds, anyone have any idea when the pain will be tollerable enough to stop the oxy?

good night
kerri
Pain started at age 20.... I am 36 now
Years of PT.. what a joke
4-2009 Fulkerson w/ LR right knee
11-2009 screws removed
Left knee is a mess still..

Offline tsznut

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
Re: Fulkerson surgery on 4/14/09
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2009, 02:03:12 PM »
Kerri

For me I tried to cut down about 10 days post op.  I went from alternating from Vicodin and Ultram 2 every 4 hours to 2 every 5 hours, then 2 every 6 hours.   I then tried 1 every 4, 1 every 5, then 1 every 6.   I will have to say I did pretty good with this, every once in awhile especially towards nighttime I would have to take 1 before the 6 hours was up.  I am now 21 days post op and only take 2-3 pills a day.  Usually take 3 on PT days and every night I take one before bed.

If you are still having pretty bad pain with your regular schedule I would wait until the pain has lessened.  Also remember if you don't have decent pain control you won't be comfortable doing your exercises.  So keep taking the pills when you need them.

Hope the pain will be less for you soon.  I think around the 2 week mark you will notice a big improvement in the amount of pain you have.

Tori

May 2008 R Knee arthroscopy, lateral release, medial meniscus repair, chondroplasty
Post op report states:  maltracking, subluxation that failed to centralize at 60 degrees, lateral tilt
March 2009 R Knee ACLr, Fulkerson procedure, redo Lateral Release, Chondroplasty
March 2010 screw removal

Offline kerristevenson

• Regular Poster
    • K & S Graphics
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2009, 03:03:49 PM »
tori.

thanx.. I just do not want to get hooked on these oxy pills. I have heard horror stories from people getting hooked.

Kerri
11-2009 screws removed

Offline adlottis

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2009, 06:30:53 PM »
Kerrie,

I totally undersand about not wanting to get hooked.  It scared me to death, 8 days after surgery I told my dr I wanted off these things.  I changed to dravocet and only took percocet at night.  I was off everything about 3 1/2 - 4 weeks PO.

Annette
1976 first dislocation 10 years old
1980 14 yrs old LR, MR, remove chip bone
1980-2005 numerous dislocations
March 2007 Proximal/distal realignment, chondroplasty
July 2007 MUA
July 2008  synvisc
Sept 2008 patellar tendon tendonitis
June 2009 hardware removal, LR, debriedment

Offline kerristevenson

• Regular Poster
    • K & S Graphics
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2009, 10:13:43 PM »
ok so I am a bit impatient about not wanting to take so many pills but i am only 1 week post op.

thanx for all the encouragement
11-2009 screws removed

Offline kerristevenson

• Regular Poster
    • K & S Graphics
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2009, 03:29:36 PM »
Hey all.

Monday will be my 2 week post op exam and I am excited to see how my healing process is going. I have been able to work at my desk now with my leg up on a stool. I am a freelance graphic designer so It is nice to be able to recover and work from home.

The pain is much better this week but yesterday I did not ice as much and my foot started to swell last night. I iced all night and took an extra bit of meds. I feel much better today and have high hopes that this is a turning point for my recovery. One of the worst parts is this big brace that goes from hip to ankle. It is really heavy when walking on crutches.

My sister is taking me for my post op on monday and we need to go to super walmart to stock up on more diapers and stuff for my little girl and animals. I told her I was embarassed to use one of those motorized carts and she said "you cant walk, this is the reason why they have these" So she is making me feel a lot better about going out and I am sure it will be a well needed trip out of the house. I am a very active person and this lying around in a recliner is beating me down a bit.

Well I am going to move over to my make-shift office in the livingroom and get some design work done.

To anyone getting this surgery done and is scared about recovery, The first week is the worst, take care of yourself and use the first week as a well needed vacation / nap time and get caught up on your TV watching. I bought a Netflix box so I can watch movies on my TV over the internet.

Take care
Kerri

11-2009 screws removed

Offline adlottis

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2009, 03:40:41 PM »
Kerri,

I can totally relate to your thought regarding shopping and not wanting to take a scooter, My first few times I crutched around and found myself exhauseted and would end up on a bench some place.  One time though we went to Costco, I had intended to crutch around and hang on the cart, but my husband was with me and was not feeling well and he recommended that I use the scooter.  I was pretty adament about NO I wasn't going to do it, but he was in no mood to put up with my antics so i gave in and used the scooter.  It was the better decision and i survived and made the trip much more enjoyable for all of us, my children thought it was great and wanted to take turns riding with me.

Yea, my brace was so huge also.  I'm not a tall person and that thing was just a bother, It was hard to find clothes that would go over it.  i found a pair of adidas sweats that worked well and then I spent alot of time in shorts with a blanket over me. 

I had tons of swelling all the way down to my toes.  (they were also black and blue)  I logged many hours laying on the floor with my leg up in the air resting on the couch or a chair, I played go fish, candy land and watched dora the Explorer, and Elmo this way for weeks.

Take care, and good luck at your 2 week PO.  Do you have staples or stiches? 

Annette
1976 first dislocation 10 years old
1980 14 yrs old LR, MR, remove chip bone
1980-2005 numerous dislocations
March 2007 Proximal/distal realignment, chondroplasty
July 2007 MUA
July 2008  synvisc
Sept 2008 patellar tendon tendonitis
June 2009 hardware removal, LR, debriedment

Offline kerristevenson

• Regular Poster
    • K & S Graphics
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2009, 04:08:12 AM »
I had a good day working.. Got through all the ads I needed to design today and will have a nice easy day tomorrow.. Me and my sis may just hang outside and take pics of my little princess playing. It should be nice out and will be a nice relaxing day to get outside and get some fresh air.

I have another post on here where a woman told me that after her fulkerson she was FWB.. I cant imaging walking on this knee that I had the surgery.. I put a little weight on it the other day and I about went through the roof...

Has anyone ever heard of full weight bearing from day one of a fulkerson surgery..

Kerri
11-2009 screws removed

Offline kerristevenson

• Regular Poster
    • K & S Graphics
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2009, 01:56:01 AM »
I am 3 weeks post op tomorrow..........

We spent the weekend at my sisters house in mass.... tomorrow morning we have the 8 hour drive back home to pa. It was a very long weekend and I am to say the least beat tonight. I think once I get home I will take a long deserved nap with my ice machine. As far as pain goes I am doing pretty good but the swelling has been pretty bad after being out and about all day.

Just wanted to give you all a update on my recovery.

Hope everyone is feeling well.

Kerri ::)
11-2009 screws removed

Offline volkim12

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2009, 12:45:04 AM »
Hey guys.
Im in a sort of situation.
Im a sophomore living abroad in china. My dirtbike is my tranportation around my city. I got in another accident. My old acident i got stabbed in the right leg by a metal pole. Messed up my calf muscle. and i came back to the USA to fix that up. Thought its not the same. Im the point guard for my schools varsity basketball team.

So this time i got hit i tore my right leg acl. But i couldnt find a doctor that spoke  english. So it took me 5 monthes to find a doctor who somewhat spoke english but for those 5 painful monthes i still played basketball cuz i love it so much. Then i had my surgery, the doctor asked me to stay at the hospital for a week after. And i did  a lot of research on acl reconstruction and rehab. So i know that it was a have surgery and leave the next day. He didnt prescribe physical therapy either becasuse they dont have that over where i am. So i knew i was in trouble if i still wanted to play. But i stated walking after 4 days. And i checked with teh doctor a month and he got so mad i walked in 4 days after the surgery but i got another mri and everything was fine. now its 4 monthes after surgery i can run, but im just out of shape and so weak. Im kinda scared to play basketball again. Cuz i have had no physical therapy. I'm determined to get stronger soon. But doctors in the USA told me i was the fastest healer ever. I consider myself lucky. But i can't wait to get back to the sport i love =] So thats my story!

support