Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Latise's TTT+LR - On Hold For Now  (Read 1816 times)

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 25
  • How 'bout them Cowboys!
    • Derotation osteotomy & TTT Post-op diary
Latise's TTT+LR - On Hold For Now
« on: July 16, 2009, 08:41:34 PM »
I've had recurring knee issues pretty much all my life which doctors have attributed to my knee cap moving around too much. I've had a few times where my knee buckled under me while making a lateral movement like moving to turn around. I had a good 5 year run in my mid twenties where my knee didn't really bother me at all, although admittedly I was less active at this time in my life. In Jan of 2007 that changed when I felt the "rope-like" band on the inside of my leg, quickly followed by the sensation of my knee cap moving out laterally followed by intense pain. That resulted in a scope in 2007 which ended with plica excision. All was well until Jan of this year when I had the feeling of my knee cap going out laterally again, although without the pain.

I've seen 3 doctors and received 3 different opinions: exercise and diet, lateral release, and TTT+LR.

I've decided to have the TTT+LR. I've gone around and around with this decision, I hope its the right one.

I went for my pre-op testing today.
I will stay in the hospital overnight and I will have a nerve block in addition to the general anesthesia. I will be in the brace locked at 0 at all times except to use the CPM machine. I will also be provided with cryo-cuff ice machine.

So this is my diary. I hope to keep up with it and keep posted everyone who is interested.

If anyone has any tips for me I'd really appreciate it. I have to say I'm not entirely confident with my decision, I guess because I'm just really scared to have such an invasive surgery. I'm worried about making things worse in my attempt to make things better. Hopefully I will be one of the people that emerges from this better, not worse. I'd really like to get back to mountain biking, bowling, and just being able to walk around the house without feeling my knee cap go out.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 09:19:47 PM by crankerchick »
Mar '07 - plica excision
Oct '09 - femoral + tibial derotational osteotomy & TTT
Aug '10 - hardware removal
"You control your leg. Don't let it control you." -Smart trainer
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Latise's TTT+LR - 08/05/2009
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 09:04:34 PM »
Here's 2 questions I've thought of:
1. How long before I can shower (after the surgery)?
2. How do you handle showering if you can't put weight on the leg or even bend it?

I know the doc will answer #1, but I'm looking for a general idea now. After my scope, I could shower on the 3rd day and I remember it feeling soooo good.

As for #2, it is my left knee. I have access to a shower and a bathtub. Both are situated such that when I stand/sit, my right side faces the outside. So basically, I would have to sit in the tub backwards or stand in the shower backwards if I need to somehow keep my left leg out of the water. I don't know that I can fit a chair in my shower, but perhaps a stool in the bathtub.
Mar '07 - plica excision
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

Offline adlottis

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 09:56:23 PM »
I found you over here, good!  I posted a reply on your last thread,

Question # 1 I couldn't shower for about 13 days, it was sponge baths for me.  they didn't want me taking off my dressing.  Even after my scope and hardware removal I could shower for 7 days.  It was the protocol of the DR.

Question #2.  i was non-weight bearing and showering was a little tricky.  In the beginning we had a stool that my husband  set up in our bathtub and then would turn the shower on, the problem with that was getting my leg over the wall.  (I had no strength in the leg )  after a few days of that I got a shower seat and after my husband got out of the shower he would place it inside the shower for me to use.  It was a little trickly, bu you learn to twist your good foot back and forth to manuever yourself around places without puttng weight on your bad knee. 

hope that all makes sense

Another thing you might think about is getting yourself a wedge pillow for your bed, I had to elevate my leg lots and for long periods of time due to excessive swelling.  Pillow mountain keeps to difficult for they fall down all the time.

Annette
1976 first dislocation 10 years old
1980 14 yrs old LR, MR, remove chip bone
1980-2005 numerous dislocations
March 2007 Proximal/distal realignment, chondroplasty
July 2007 MUA
July 2008  synvisc
Sept 2008 patellar tendon tendonitis
June 2009 hardware removal, LR, debriedment

Offline tsznut

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 02:31:55 AM »
I believe I showered on day 5.  My dressing was removed on day 3 at PT, I had subq stitches, so nothing on the outside, just steri-strips.  My OS said to wrap the incision area with saran wrap.  We also have a separate shower and bathtub, our shower has a seat in it already, so that made it real easy.  My husband did help me into the shower for about the first week or so until I felt comfortable stepping over the edge by myself.  It was scary trying to get in because I was NWB and was afraid the crutch would slip in the shower and I would fall.

Good luck with your surgery.

Tori
May 2008 R Knee arthroscopy, lateral release, medial meniscus repair, chondroplasty
Post op report states:  maltracking, subluxation that failed to centralize at 60 degrees, lateral tilt
March 2009 R Knee ACLr, Fulkerson procedure, redo Lateral Release, Chondroplasty
March 2010 screw removal

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 02:26:17 PM »
Hmm, I do love my showers. This is going to be tricky.

Perhaps I need to look into a seat for our shower. I don't even know if our shower is large enough for me to sit in a seat in it and be able to keep my leg straight. I would think it is, but I don't know for sure. I guess I have a "man project" for hubby--take some measurements and install a shower chair, LOL.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 02:37:29 PM by crankerchick »
Mar '07 - plica excision

Offline adlottis

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 04:15:35 PM »
you can just buy a protable shower seat, no need to install anything.  My leg had to hang out the door.

Annette
July 2007 MUA
July 2008  synvisc

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 07:24:15 PM »
Oh nice! I guess I was just picturing the showers I've seen where the chair was sort of built in.

Do they make any kind of cushions for crutches to cut down on the soreness that develops under the arms and on the hands from using crutches for an extended amount of time? My mom put towels on my crutches before but, well, it wasn't the most elegant or functionally productive solution.
Mar '07 - plica excision

Offline agresknee

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 09:29:44 PM »
My daughter is on day 21 of her surgery which was a TTT a MPFL with graft and LR  she could shower at day 6 however it was not a fun experience for either of us but we made it

I took measurements of the shower and bought a plastic lawn chair at target and it was worked wonderful she is still using it. since she can only toe touch down.  We had the nerve block and came home with a on q pain pump she was given the option to stay in hospital or go home she wanted to come home,  Day three was extremly painful for her and I have heard that from numerous people the pain pump runs out of medicine and the nerve block is gone. My daughter is tough and that was a really long night for all of us.  Ask your doctor how you can maybe get out in front of that I dont know if there is something we could of done differently or it is just the nature of the surgery.

This web site is awesome and you can  get lots of good information it has been a life saver for me , we had the ice machine but not the cpm because for the MPFL.

good luck with the surgery My daughters knee came out a good many times and caused her to fall and the biggest issue was living with the unknown of what is going to trigger an occurence it was a matter of when not if, my daughter is 16 and wanted this surgery i would have been willing to wait til she was older but she was tired of being duct taped together as she calls it. We are in PT and still dont know if the surgery was a success and probably wont til she is further along, there is a post on this site by heidi her daughter had the same surgery and she went for a four mile bike ride the other day  I was so happy for her and i hope that is i can post that news someday soon, The doctor told us it was good we did the surgery because all the dislocations were damaging the bones and he feels the surgery was a total success but we wont know for sure til she is back on the basketball court.

good luck and feel free to post any questions on our post agresknee and we will follow your progress

Offline tsznut

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2009, 03:57:56 PM »
The crutches really shouldn't be up in your armpit, if they are they need to be adjusted.  Just keep that in mind when you get yours.  They fit mine in the hospital before I went home.  I never had any pain in the armpit or soreness.

The hands are a different story.  By the time I was off crutches I had developed calluses on my palms.  I didn't pad mine at all, just had to get used to it.  At times my arms and hands (muscles) were pretty sore but it got better as I used the crutches.

Tori
May 2008 R Knee arthroscopy, lateral release, medial meniscus repair, chondroplasty
Post op report states:  maltracking, subluxation that failed to centralize at 60 degrees, lateral tilt
March 2009 R Knee ACLr, Fulkerson procedure, redo Lateral Release, Chondroplasty
March 2010 screw removal

Offline adlottis

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2009, 03:48:53 PM »
I agree with tori on the crutches thing.  i had a rubber padding that came with them, but I don't rremember it being too bad of a thing. (I was on crutchs for 11 weeks) Even this last time when i was on them for the 9 days, they didn't seem to bother me much.

Annette
July 2007 MUA
July 2008  synvisc

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2009, 09:22:47 PM »
I have used crutches in the past and I never had soreness in my armpits (they don't belong up there) but on the sides of my body where they were pressed against my body. And definitely my hands. I found some websites that sell cushions, but they are like $50 for the hand cushions and $50 for the pit cushions. Previously, my mom made some out of rolled up towels, and while they weren't anything special to look at, they didn't cost $50 either!

As for the pain, I don't really know what to expect except that its probably going to hurt like mad. I'm trying not to worry too much about it. My docs haven't said anything about the pain medicine pump machine, so I don't believe I'm getting that. My last surgery I didn't use to many painkillers--they didn't seem to help. There were a few times early on that I think had I have been taking them regularly, it would have probably hurt less, but it was nothing unbearable, just a little more pain then I wanted to stomach. Of course that was just a plica removal scope, so not the same at all. I am not chancing it this time--going to stay up on the meds to try and stay in front of the pain.

Not sure how to avoid the bloodrush that everyone talks about, except maybe to just make sure I move very very very slowly when changing elevation!

I still don't know what I'm going to do about the bath. Our shower has a textured floor so slipping isn't really an issue. We also have the detachable shower head. I'm just not sure I can get in it and keep the leg straight. It sounds like a chair with my legs out of the shower is a good bet. The tub will work better for sitting completely in the tub with my leg out, but i'm nervous about slipping trying to get in and out.
Mar '07 - plica excision

Offline tsznut

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2009, 01:10:14 AM »
I had a femoral nerve block which lasts about 20 hours and also had a pain pump in my knee, filled with Marcaine that delivers a small amt of meds continuously, and lasted about 2 1/2 days.  I did start taking oral meds when i got home (SDS).  Didn't have any real pain until the pain pump ran out, then I started taking the pain meds every 4 hours around the clock.

Tori
March 2010 screw removal

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Latise's TTT+LR - On Hold For Now
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2009, 09:28:28 PM »
When I made this topic, I had decided to do the TTT and I was at ease with my choice. Since then, however, I have learned another possible reason for my knee problems and I feel it prudent to investigate the opportunity further, so I've rescheduled my surgery to a later date to give time to consider this alternate diagnosis.

Moderators, i don't know if you delete the topic or just let it go dormant, but I just wanted to post this so the moderators can delete the topic if that is what is usually done.

I appreciate everyone's posts so far in helping me get ready for the surgery.
Mar '07 - plica excision