Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Knee pain at full extension  (Read 4686 times)

Offline druguillot

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Knee pain at full extension
« on: June 24, 2009, 06:13:23 PM »
I've had 4 surgeries on my right knee over the past 15 years.  Within the last 4 years or so, my left knee started hurting when my knee was fully extended.  Basically, it would be a sharp, and shooting pain, mostly in center to rear knee area.  The pain has been getting progressively worse over the years.  Now, it hurts anytime my knee is at full extension.  When I come out of extension, my knee either cracks (like cracking your knuckles) or I feel a pop (something actually moving inside) in the center to rear knee area, which is painful.  It hurts to get out of a chair, and it hurts if I do hamstring curls.  All the pain is deep in the knee.

I've read some stuff about these symptoms being in line with a torn ACL.  The only injury that I can think of is a snowboarding accident where I got hit by another skier.  I remember hurting all over the next few days, not just my knees.  I would also think that if I had a torn ACL, I would be able to remain active over the past few years.  I run, bike, basketball, etc. 

I've had an x-ray, which the doctor found nothing wrong.  But the pain is getting worse.  Any thoughts?

Offline Hope83

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Knee pain at full extension
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 05:43:40 PM »
Sorry to hear about you knee pain. I think you should have an MRI. X-rays only see the bone. If this is something to do with your ligaments (ACL) or your cartilage, an x-ray won't tell you anything. An MRI takes magnetic images of the inside of the knee.

Good luck!
Oct 2006- ACl Tear, MCL complete tear, Lateral meniscus partial tear. -GO TRIAD!
Dec 2006- Patellar ACL recon, Lateral meniscus repair
June 2007- plica resection, arthrofibrosis scar resection surgery,cartilage debridement
Oct 2008- diagnostic scope and debridement
June 2009- awaiting cart transp