Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Has anyone had a successful micro fracture surgery at age 55?  (Read 6811 times)

Offline pambarnett

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
I had micro fracture surgery at age 54.  Prior to the surgery, I thought I was having an OATS procedure or (if the leision wasn't appropriate) gather a biopsy to culture cells for ACI.  After the surgery, my husband was told by the surgeon that he had done micro-fracture, a surgery my husband and I had never heard of.  It's been almost 2 years.  My knee is worse and hurts in a new location.  I've been on and off crutches since the surgery.

Ten years ago I had ACI surgery on my other knee.  It has worked beautifully.  My insurance company, BCBS of TN considers the ACI surgery investigational, even though BCBS paid for it on my left knee ten years ago.  They suggest we file a grievance, but my surgeon thinks the process, which will include an osteotomy (5 nights in the hospital) plus ACI will be too much for me and it will only have a 75% success rate because the graph may not adhere to the micro fracture location.  He suggests a partial knee replacement.  I'm really active.  He says a partial knee replacement only lasts 3-5 years which means 4-7 more knee replacement surgeries through age 75.

Any thoughts of any kind?  I'm so angry about the lack of informed consent for the micro-fracture, I can't think straight. 

Pam

Offline slyguy1

• Regular Poster
Re: Has anyone had a successful micro fracture surgery at age 55?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 03:04:54 PM »
Hi Pam....Join the club...i went in for meniscus tear and came out with microfraction and i've been suffering also. The location of the lesion is the determining factor when it comes to success....mine was in a weight-bearing area of fem condylite. I cannot understand why they even do microfraction when they know it is temporary. I'm thrilled to here your ACI is holding up after 10 years...that is great. I'm being consulted into having the AMZ and ACI but the risks and long recovery is making me think right now....and the failure rate after microfraction is 3x that of non-microfractured. Someone on the boards pointed to an article on the medical journal.

Offline JVD

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 03:41:27 AM »
Well I couldn't be more worried.  I just had what I thought was going to be plain old arthroscopic surgery 3 weeks ago.  When I awoke I was told the doctor did do arthroscopic lateral meniscectomy and decompression of the parameniscal "Baker's Cyst."  AND microfracture medial femoral condyle 5X7mm lesion, plus chondroplasty trochlea and patella.

Bottom line:  Where I thought I'd drop the crutches in 2 days and get back to tennis and tap dancing, I discovered at least 2 weeks on crutches and utter agony going down steps after 3 weeks.   I find the ice, stim and excruciating exercises are helping, but I am so worried I'll never be able to do yoga, kick a soccer ball or dance again.  I am told most are on crutches 4-6 weeks.  I am terrified because I was told to lose them after 2 that I will be far worse off than before the surgery.

Admission:  my right foot has always turned out a little.  Pilates is helping me see and adjust that alignment, though my inner quad is not at all happy and my hip is clicking in a whole new way.

Has anyone in their 50s  had a successful recovery from Micro-fracture or Microfracture surgery?  Throw me a bone here...

Offline edfromny

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 12:33:48 AM »
     Hi all,
   I'm sorry to hear that you've had such bad experiences with microfracture.  I don't know how this helps but I had "successful" microfracture surgery  on my right FMC in Feb. 2010 at age 53.  The OS is done with me and said that the surgery was successful and I have grown fibrocartilege in the defect.  My defect was about the size of a US 1/2 dollar.   After my OS had started the procedure, he had second thoughts about completing it due to the size of the hole. (He believed it to be much smaller from the MRI.) The rehab is VERY slow, but in my case, I have seen steady gains.  I should add that BOTH my knees were in a LOT of pain before the surgery.  For me, the pain in my surgical knee after the operation is very much reduced on a daily basis while doing everyday activities.  I am still unable to even consider running or any kind of powerful move with my leg while weightbearing.  I can ride the exercise bike without any pain, do elliptical workouts and walk on the treadmill at 3.5 MPH without any real discomfort.  My understanding is that many people see a great improvement after six months and that healing can continue for up to a year and a half.  As I understand it, microfracure is really just a very specific injury inflicted upon your bone by the OS.   I also have read that the procedure is helpful to about 80% of patients so that about one in five people will not experience any real improvement.  Good Luck  to you all .                                                   ed
February 23, 2010  Microfracture rt knee FMC
February 23, 2010 meniscectomy rt knee
April 05, 2010 return to weightbearing

Offline gmartin

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 04:52:32 PM »
I had a microfracture last March 2009 at age 50! I was in a brace for 6 weeks  - extremely inconvenient but at least it stopped me from putting any load bearing through the repaired area - which allowed only a few degrees of bend. Then I was on crutches for approx another 3 weeks as I started to try and build up muscle strength.
It probably took 6-8 months to get back to "normal" by which i mean going through my limited range of exercises at the gym, and I did manage to ski at Easter this year. However i still can't do leg extensions at the gym with anything other than a minimal weight, and if i increase the weight it starts to hurt sharply in the area of the microfracture which suggests that it may still be some time before it has all completely healed.

So, to sum up, successful in many ways, but very long period for full recovery

Geoff

support