Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Rapid swelling of knee. Please help. :(  (Read 656 times)

Offline bishop

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Rapid swelling of knee. Please help. :(
« on: June 24, 2009, 04:52:54 AM »
I'm a 24 year old male.  Currently going to physio 3 times a week because I dislocated my patella back in May.  Initial xrays showed that I have some lateral tilt because of the injury, and this is one of the things the therapist is working on.  Also, he says I damaged my medial retinaculum and the scar tissue here is what's currently causing my limited range of motion.  I'm also taking Warfarin because I had a DVT -> pulmonary embolism a few weeks ago.

When I'm lying down, or sitting, my knee looks ok, except for a little puffiness on the medial side of my patella.  However, when I stand up and walk, without my knee brace on, my knee swells up very quickly.  The swelling is mainly located on the medial side of my patella, and above my patella.  The bottom of my patella actually keeps it's normal definition, and doesn't seem to swell.    The swelling causes some discoloration in the area, which makes my skin appear dark red or purple.  This leads me to believe the swelling is from blood, but I don't know what is causing it.  When I sit down, the swelling and discoloration disappear in a minute or two.

Is this normal?  Can I continue with my physiotherapy?  Do I need to go to the hospital?

EDIT:  He has given me a few exercises, including a new one which seems quite aggressive, where I put my back against the kitchen counter and use it support my weight, while I lower my body into a squatting position as far as my bad knee will let me go.  My best, uneducated guess is that the frequent physiotherapy and exercises + slower than normal clotting time (due to warfarin) means my medial retinaculum is constantly being broken down and is prone to bleeding.  But like I said, I don't know much about knees.

Thanks for the help!!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 05:01:29 AM by bishop »