Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: I need some help please! Arthoscopic surgery ....  (Read 2166 times)

Offline lace7725

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
I need some help please! Arthoscopic surgery ....
« on: June 22, 2009, 10:32:01 PM »
I am so sad  ??? .... I just got a second opinion and I have been told that I do need arthroscopic knee surgery.   

Alittle background ..... I dislocated my knee cap 2 weeks ago today.  I have a small piece of cartilage in my knee that broke off. 

Here is my question ....
My husband and I are going to Mexico in 3 weeks.  We spent thousands on this much needed trip.  The doctor has scheduled me for this surgery on Thursday (this week) and he said I will be okay to go to Mexico 2 weeks later no problem.  I find this so hard to believe and worry he is not really paying attention to me?!?!  I just dont have the trust I need to have with this doctor even though he is known as an amazing knee doctor.  Anyone had arthroscopic surgery for something simple like removing cartilage and how long was the recovery?  I already have issues with my thigh muscles due to being in straight brace for almost two weeks. 

Thank you 

Offline Jessyca

• Forum Faithful
    • Adventures of a College Student
Re: I need some help please! Arthoscopic surgery ....
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 10:52:01 PM »
When I had arthroscopic surgeries (trim and then debridement) I was up and walking in about a week.
February 9, 2006 Fell skiing, knee twisted.
July 12, 2006 Arthroscopic surgery
October 23, 2006 Possible reinjury
January 10, 2007 Arthroscopic surgery
August 13, 2009 Bracing my knee until surgery in January
January 29, 2010 Arthroscopic surgery - LR/debridement

Offline suehaem

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 10:57:06 PM »
Hi there,

Sorry you are having to go down the road of surgery  :(

You will probably be okay to go, try not to over do things.  The only things I could see as a problem would be if you wanted to swim and your holes had not healed up so that would put a stop to being able to swim.  Also will it be a long haul flight? may have implications.

Recovery can vary from person to person.  I was about five months the first time and about a month the second time to more or less 100% although they do say 2wks and some people can do that.

Choice is yours at the end of the day whether you have it before or after your holiday.

Best of luck

Sue
 ;D
North Wales
Fall from horse 04/04
Arthroscopy 27/07/07 -Grade III debridement
Re-injured knee running 1/03/08
Arthroscopy 11/10/08 - Grade II debridement
09/03/16 Fracture fib sking damage to knees
31/05/16 Grade 4 Chondromalacia and patella tilt (R)
17/11/16 Need new knee cap (L)knee
Awaiting Arthroscopy 2018

Offline lace7725

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 11:08:37 PM »
I just dont know if I should wait to have the surgery until after coming back from Mexico or before ... doctor said worse case would be is the tiny piece of cartilage could cause my leg to lock up.  When that happens is it painful?  How do I get it to unlock?  Oh why this stress now? hehe

Thanks

Offline suehaem

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 12:14:46 AM »
Hi,

My knee did lock on a number of occasions prior to surgery sometimes for minutes and the longest being twelve hours  :o.  And yes it was painful when I tried to straighten my knee until it moved. 

Have a chat with your doctor and let him know what you plan to do on holiday and he can advise you. 

Everyone has a different recovery rate and you may be okay only you can decide.

Best

Sue
 ;D
North Wales
Fall from horse 04/04

Offline lace7725

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 12:52:48 AM »
Sue I have to ask you .... what would you do if you were in my shoes?  Get surgery 2 weeks before going to Mexico or wait until getting back?  Of course if being MY decision in the end of course.  But since you have been there done that kinda thing.  :o)

Cheers
Lacy  :)

Offline doublemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
    • Andi's Website
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 04:48:07 AM »
Lacy - I've had arthroscopic surgery on both knees, both for meniscal tears, and one of the knees I also had chondroplasty (cartilage clean-up) at the same time).  The first meniscal tear acted like a door jamb, I could only bend my knee about 20 degrees and couldn't straighten it out all the way.  I was like that for six weeks before surgery because it was during the holidays when everyone else had scheduled elective surgeries and no surgeons could get me in sooner.  Because I literally couldn't bend my leg all the way, I had a lot of strength loss in my quad muscles and it took several weeks post-op with PT to get my range of motion and strength back.  Before the surgery, it would sometimes "catch" or lock up, and it felt like it needed a good pop.  It would be uncomfortable for several minutes and then when it would finally pop, it felt so much better afterward!

On my other knee arthroscopic surgery, which was meniscal tears and patellar cartilage clean-up, I never had pain, just a lot of grinding and clicking.  I literally walked into the surgery center and walked back out without crutches a few hours later. I was sore and a bit swollen from the surgery, and was hanging on furniture while walking for about three days, but within a week I was walking almost normally, and within two weeks I was digging up 300 plants from the back yard to take with me to our new home (I know, probably not wise, but physically I WAS able to do it).  So... on both of my surgeries I was able to walk really well pretty quickly, and I have to say both were extremely easy recoveries.

One thing to keep in mind is that some surgeons tend to go in for arthroscopic surgery and find other things going on, and fix them at the same time without your knowledge or permission, because you happen to get out cold on the surgery table.  It's not common, but I've heard of people going in for meniscal tears and coming out with lateral releases without their knowledge.  Whether you have surgery before or after the trip, be sure to discuss very clearly with your surgeon exactly what he/she's going to do, and make sure they know what you expect of them and what you do NOT want them to do while they're in there. 

You're the only one who can make this decision, but I wanted to let you know that it is possible to walk away from an arthroscopic chondroplasty and be walking normally within days.  Then again, you never know how your body will react, and the way I recovered could be totally different from the way your body will recover.  There is no way to know, unfortunately.  Whatever you decide, please keep us posted here so that we can all cheer you on :)
2000 R patella dislocation
2004 - Soccer injury - LK medial and lateral meniscectomies
2007 - Dx patellar tilt, lateral subluxation, grade III chondromalacia
5/13/08 - RK medial/lateral meniscectomies & patellar chondroplasty
4/6/2010 - RK TTT/LR scheduled

Offline suehaem

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 08:50:53 PM »
Hi Lacy,

Will have to agree with doublemom only you can make the decision as to whether to go ahead before or after your holiday.

Sorry would love to give you an answer one way or another but it is very difficult to say you may be okay or you may not everyone of us if different with recovery.

Have another chat with you doctor and have a good think what would be best for you.

Keep us posted.

Sue
 ;D
North Wales
Fall from horse 04/04

Offline adlottis

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 09:48:24 PM »
Okay,

I'm going to express my opinion.  I needed to have a scope done and was given a date 1 week prior to departure date of going to Maui with my husband and children.  i said no I'd wait for 2 reasons, 1. I've had knee surgery before in which there was more work done than originally intended.  2.  I knew how my knee was doing and how much I could get out of it on this vacation, I just didn't want any unknowns.  This was going to be an active vacation and I didn't want anything to hinder that. 

I waited until a week after my return to have my surgery and I'm really glad, my surgery was supposed to be screw removal and cartilage cleanup, it ended up being all of that and a LR.  So my rehab was and is really different than planned.  I am currently 3 weeks PO from that surgery. 

This was my decision and for me it was the best.  I have a history with knee surgeries that turn out to be more extensive than orginally planned so it was a good decision for me.

Annette
1976 first dislocation 10 years old
1980 14 yrs old LR, MR, remove chip bone
1980-2005 numerous dislocations
March 2007 Proximal/distal realignment, chondroplasty
July 2007 MUA
July 2008  synvisc
Sept 2008 patellar tendon tendonitis
June 2009 hardware removal, LR, debriedment

support