Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: I need help diagnosing what is wrong with my knee  (Read 832 times)

Offline kimclary

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
I need help diagnosing what is wrong with my knee
« on: June 22, 2009, 01:30:19 AM »
About a week ago I was doing a run swim run workout at the beach on the hard sand.  About half way through the workout the outside of my knee began to hurt.  It increased as I continued and since then (about 5 days) it has been painful to walk/run.  The pain comes and goes.  If my knee is stretched or warm it seems to be ok, but cold or walking on hard surfaces it hurts.  Now the pain has affected my low back since I have been limping.  I experienced a similar pain on a long road run about 6 weeks ago, but the pain went away after a few days.  From talking to people with similar problems, I have heard diagnoses of IT band problems, patella problems, and jumpers knee.  I run, swim, ski, play volleyball, surf, play basketball, and do yoga...so I am wondering what might be contributing to this pain and what I should cut out and what I should continue.  I am a very proactive healer, but I don't know what's wrong so I don't know what to be proactive about.  I have been icicng, elevevating, resting, heating, and talking ibuprofen here and there.  What else can i do and how can I continue my active lifestyle?
Thanks so much for your input and help.
Kim

Offline Marjan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: I need help diagnosing what is wrong with my knee
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 04:17:06 AM »
Hi Kim,

It's hard for anyone to diagnose a problem, nor are we qualified to do so.  That said, I would suggest, if you live in the States, that you seek out a sports physical therapist (check around, call around and see who some of the local sports teams use) and have him/her do an evaluation and possible workout schedule. I do know some states you need a doctors referral/prescription for PT, but if you do, I'd just ask for one from you regular doc.  A good therapist should be able to put your leg/ lower body through it's paces and see where the weakness is. 
It sounds like you are doing all the right things, but be aware that any of the muscle/tendon/ligament issues can take a long time to heal, especially if you don't modify your activities.  I would definitely lay off those activities that cause the flare-ups until you either get a good idea what you're dealing with, or if you decide to ride it out, until you have no pain. Then I'd slowly add those activities back in.........but reallly slow!    It's worthwhile to take the time off now, rather than aggravate an injury that could worsen.

Good luck,

marjan

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 112
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
Re: I need help diagnosing what is wrong with my knee
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 10:38:41 AM »
--
KNEEguru