Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: extremely limited ROM  (Read 658 times)

Offline kb7

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
extremely limited ROM
« on: June 21, 2009, 05:11:46 AM »
I had ACL reconstructive surgery and a lateral meniscus repair a little over 3 months ago.  I now have a very limited ROM, with about 8 degrees extension and 130 degrees flexion.  However, I can only achieve the 130 degrees after a 20-minute stretch with heat applied to the knee, and then someone pulls on the leg as hard as they can.  In other words, my comfortable ROM flexion is about 110 degrees, and that is not functional for me (my opposite knee has a flexion ROM of 155 degrees).  I have been doing the 20-minute stretches (3x daily for 1 hour total) for 3 weeks and still have not seen any improvement.  I was then seen by my ortho surgeon who decided to order me a JAS splint, which sounds like it does the same exact thing my stretches do.  This is getting so frustrating.  I can't go down stairs, and walking is difficult to maintain a steady stride due to the lack of extension.  I thought I made it clear to my surgeon that I am very concerned, but I don't think they understand.  I'm supposed to try this JAS splint for 1 month, but I don't know how I'm going to use the splint to progress the ROM as I can only go so far with my current stretches before the pain is too much and I have to quit.

Anyone have any suggestions, because this is killing me.  thanks.