Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: new injury to already bad knee  (Read 802 times)

Offline swayball

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
new injury to already bad knee
« on: June 17, 2009, 03:51:25 AM »
had meniscus tears trimmed and cartilage shave in 2007, scar tissue removal in 2008. Yesterday joined a gym - knee still not great but trainer came up with things I can do between the knee and other injuries. Work out went well... leaving locker room heading toward front desk to go home... I tripped on the edge of an unseen ramp, sprained left ankle and smashed my bad right knee onto hard floow. There is a scrape on skin but otherwise, swelling below kneecap and starting to bruise. It is painful to bend much beyond 90 degrees and to put weight on in bent position. Also feel more clicking in joint when walking and some pain with walking.
I'm seeing my primary tomorrow. Think I should get appt with my knee ortho? or give it more time? Maybe swelling is just from the impact/injury? - or could I have done something to it? what kind of injury happens from direct fall onto hard surface like that?

Offline FJ

• Regular Poster
Re: new injury to already bad knee
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 09:34:47 AM »
You sound pretty concerned about it.  Why don't you book an appointment with your ortho in a couple of days time at least that will put your mind at rest?

Best of luck to you and I really hope its nothing serious.

plica syndrome
athroscopy left knee plica removal
meniscus degeneration
osteo arthritis

Offline swayball

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 02:07:41 PM »
Thanks - I will see what primary says - just wondered if you "knee pros" had any ideas or similar stories

Offline Hope83

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 06:35:14 PM »
I think because it was an impact injury, seeing your primary can't hurt. However, I would be wary of the diagnosis from a primary, as it isn't their expertise. I'm thinking that your they will refer you to an OS anyways, being that you have had a prior injury and probably don't want to take a chance of anything serious being wrong.

Good luck
Oct 2006- ACl Tear, MCL complete tear, Lateral meniscus partial tear. -GO TRIAD!
Dec 2006- Patellar ACL recon, Lateral meniscus repair
June 2007- plica resection, arthrofibrosis scar resection surgery,cartilage debridement
Oct 2008- diagnostic scope and debridement
June 2009- awaiting cart transp

support