Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: After Meniscus Surgery - What Can I do before PT starts?  (Read 1280 times)

Offline bradv

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
After Meniscus Surgery - What Can I do before PT starts?
« on: June 17, 2009, 03:00:28 AM »
Hi Everyone,
I will have an arthroscopic knee surgery to remove a tear in my meniscus this summer.  My follow-up appt with the ortho doc is about a week later and I was told I will start PT at that time.

My question is -- I am very active now and exercise everyday (though limited to my knee pain/problems).  Is there anything I can do safely (at home) while I wait for this first week to pass after the operation?  Can I begin to do straight leg raises or other quad-stregthening movements in the days after surgery?  Or is this too soon and may damage my knee?   What about the stationary bike?  Would it be safe to try to ride it at low resistance?

I am very grateful for any advice or to hear about your experiences in the first week and what kinds of activities you were able to do after a meniscus trim surgery.

Thanks very much!

Offline cboden51

• Forum Faithful
Re: After Meniscus Surgery - What Can I do before PT starts?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 03:17:25 PM »
You are probably best served to clear it with your OS first but in my experience I would say ankle pumps immediately after to get the blood moving, then quad sets as many as you want and SLR with no weights until you start PT. You can also start with ROM exercises, even when you are in the dressing but gently. My OS said no stationary bike until PT but walking as much as I could tolerate.

Best of luck to you. I know it is hard to wait to get back to full activity but you have to be careful to not cause too much swelling or you just set yourself back.

Connie

Offline bradv

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 12:59:06 AM »
Thank you very much Connie! That was very helpful for me.  I need to keep telling myself to take it easy ... I will definitely ask the OS, but I really do appreciate your advice and help!  Thanks again!

Offline Marjan

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 02:53:22 AM »
Yup, I agree with Connie.....

Depending on what your OS finds when he/she scopes your knee, you'll be told what it is you can/can't do. Every surgery is just a bit different and different OS's have different protocols.  But in general ankle pumps, quad sets and lots of REST is called for.  There's a lot of good intentions in wanting to get back to it as soon as possible, but remember, you'll have an invasive (although minimal) surgery....where they blow air into your joint to expand it slightly so they can get the scope in there and look around.  Your knee will be cranky, your joint will have been flushed out and lots of ligaments will have been jostled and "poked at" and it will need rest to recover from it's ordeal. Please allow yourself some self indulgent recuperation time with lots of ICE, Elevation and good pain control (don't get macho!  ;D) This truly is the best way to allow any inflammation (which will be a natural response from your body) to be minimal.

Good luck,

marjan

Offline slyguy1

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 04:12:13 AM »
Yes i agree with Marjan....just make sure you have a clear understanding of what exactly your OS will do....i went in with meniscus tear and came out on a wheelchair and on crutches for 8 weeks. Additional damage not detected by MRI... the OS once in there decides to as Marjan said poke around...you definitely need time to recuperate....good luck

Offline bradv

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 08:27:48 PM »
Thanks again all !  I really appreciate the good advice - especially on what Not to do ! :)

Do you think it would be ok to continue my upper body exercises while I'm waiting out my knee recovery?  I was thinking pull ups or something laying down on a bench?  I don't want all my muscles to atrophy, but again don't want to cause any undue harm to my knee. 

Thank you all again !

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 10:01:39 PM »
I think you need to get it in your head its ok to do nothing for several days.  I know you want to get back to exercising, trust me I know.  I blew both knees exercising to loose weight and was weirded out that in a week it would all come back!  Anyway - your body just might not want to exercise and that's fine.  I have a feeling you need to listen to what it tells you, and obey it - really.  Its difficult to do but what would be worse is for you to injurer your knee.  Which by the way I did - and had more surgery.  Try to relax and realize this time will pass and then you can get back to doing what you enjoy.  eagle

Offline thesnowman22

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 12:52:19 AM »
Arm lifts like bench, curls, etc cant hurt. Youre not using your knee. When i had mine, i never used crutches, but boy did I limp. Depends a lot on age and your shape. I wouldnt push the knee part besides hobbling around a little. Unless you are an nfl athlete, it wont kill u to wait it out a while. A friend of mine had a son who had meniscus on mon and played hs football friday, but he is in incredible shape and young.  For me, i was fine to walk around pretty well in a few days and could do about anything I wanted in two months. And i did NO rehab besides about 10 visits, almost none on my own.

support