Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: knee pain  (Read 745 times)

Offline aaron1ake

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
knee pain
« on: June 13, 2009, 09:46:48 AM »
Hi Room,

I was playing football last week and was running behind someone, as he was running his boot came up and his stud went into the side of my knee. Straight away i was in a bit of pain and stopped playing. Over the last week the side of my knee has only swelled up a little bit but bruised quite bad. At the moment as soon as i climb stairs or walk at a fast pace my knee will start to hurt quite bad. its more of a sharp pain.

I tore my acl 3 years ago but know its not to do with that ( i hope) just wondered if anyone knows what it could be.

Aaron

Offline mollyc

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: knee pain
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 05:08:24 PM »
Hi Aaron: I have no idea what's going on with your knee, but it sounds like what my sister experienced. So, I'll tell you her story...although it may or may not resemble what you are experiencing.  My sister had a mountain biking accident. She fell off her bike into a ravine and landing on the side of her knee on a rock.  This was just two months after I had a ski accident where I ruptured my ACL, so we thought our family might be cursed!  She had much more swelling and bruising than I did with my ACL rupture. Much more.  She also, curiously, maintained full extension and range of motion.  But, she had terrible pain going up and down stairs and a lot of pain underneath her knee cap. She couldn't get back on a bike at all and felt a lot of pain when she did even a few rotations. After a couple weeks waiting and seeing, they did an MRI which showed no ligament or meniscus damage. The diagnosis is chondromalagia, which is, as I understand it, damage to the cartilage under the patella.  Basically, her OS thinks that the impact to the side of the knee scraped her patella back and forth across her knee, which caused the damage. In the long run, she should be totally fine.  But, she's had to really take it easy for it to heal.  It's taken her longer to go up and down stairs the normal way and get back on the bike than it did for me post ACL injury because it's pretty easy to re-aggravate the injury.  She got a cortisone shot, which helped a bit, and is doing a short course of physical therapy and swimming to maintain her cardio. 

Again, I have no idea at all if this is what you're experiencing, but thought I'd give you some food for thought. Good luck with your injury and getting a diagnosis! Molly
Ski accident 2/14/09
Ruptured ACL, MCL sprain, bone bruise
ACLr allograft 5/27/09
Knee now 100% fine...skiing and playing tennis regularly