Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Daughters MPFL Surgery  (Read 2071 times)

Offline agresknee

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
Daughters MPFL Surgery
« on: June 13, 2009, 03:21:50 AM »
My Daughter had MPFL surgery for dislocating knee on April 14,2009 we were progressing nicely, til today
she swears the knee dislocated when going downstairs with the knee brace on. She is devestated that the surgery may not have worked. She is 16

We called the doctor who is going to see us on monday morning, they think it is scar tissue issue that she felt. My daughter has had many dislocation so I am nervous that is what happened.
since knows how that feels. However when you used to touch her knee cap the knee slid all over the place, the knee when you touch feels very stable.

Does anyone have any experience with this any help greatly appreciated thanks

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
Re: Daughters MPFL Surgery
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 04:55:45 AM »
Hi there,

It is still early days since the surgery. I have had the surgery your daughter had.

Sometimes if the muscles are not strong enough after the surgery it can come out. Once you have more muscle that usually stops.

All the best on Monday.
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair
22/05/08 - LK Trochleoplasty
11/02/10 - RK Trochleoplasty
07/03/11 - RK Chrondroplasty

Offline fraud_ninja

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 05:06:44 AM »
I have had the same surgery your daughter had on both of my knees.  The 'dislocation' she felt could very well be scar tissue.  I can remember having a few pops, cracks, and other odd feelings along the way that were somewhat alarming to me.  My OS said that they were all likely scar tissue. Although your daughter does know what a dislocation feels like, she is also probably very nervous and a bit scared that the surgery will not work, so therefore any odd feeling would be scary to her.

Good luck on Monday, I hope everything turns out alright.
12/26/02 LR R
10/26/06 TTT R
1/25/07 TTT L
12/17/07 TTT revision, MPFL recon R
2/7/08 TTT revision, MPFL recon L
3/24/08 screw removal R
4/30/08 screw removal L

Knees are fixed, training for a triathalon.

9/21/09- Right ankle reconstruction

Offline agresknee

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009, 05:26:14 AM »
thanks for tips it makes me feel more positive will update after monday

Offline mellophone

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2009, 05:54:18 PM »
hi, i had the same surgery done in september, however it helped some the patella still comes out but i have other problems. if the patella feels stable to touch then it is likely that it is scar tissue. best of luck on monday!
8th grade - rt knee scope - chondroplasty of patella
10th grade - MPFL recon (allograft), LR,chondroplasty of patella
summer after 11th grade - TTT, MPFL recon (allograft), LR, cartilage plugs, and chondroplasty of patella
revision of incision and mini MUA (to 90)

Offline agresknee

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 04:35:23 PM »
Daughters surgery failed, he is sending us to new doctor on wed wants to do redo the surgery with cadaver or tissue from hamstring the old tissue he rebuilt restrecthed out and is not holding knee
also talk about doing the TTT where you move the bone

anyone have info on Cadaver versus the hamstring would be helpful and the ttt surgery would also be helpful

sad and devasted in charlotte

Offline spurs27

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 06:27:27 PM »
Agres,

Sorry to hear about the surgery failure.  I recently had this surgery (MPFL Recon) with cadaver tendon used as reconstruction material and I have had no issues.  I lead a very active lifestyle (running, walking, high intensity activites) and have been able to almost get back to my previous level of activity (I'm 18 weeks post-op).  My OS also had me in a CPM machine immediatly after the surgery to gain ROM more quickly so if something was going to stretch-out or snap I would think that would have done it.

Let me know if you have any other questions...

Brian
History:
1992:  L kneecap dislocation
1992:  L knee Arthroscopy & MCM repair
1998:  R kneecap dislocation
2002:  R kneecap dislocation
2004:  R kneecap dislocation
2007:  R kneecap dislocation
2008:  R kneecap dislocation
2009:  R MPFL recon

Offline agresknee

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 10:49:36 PM »
spur27 would love more info from you , Made my day when i read your post,

They are talking Cadaver tissue or her hamstring, why did you do cadaver was your hamstring not an option
if we get the surgery next week do think she can play basketball by november

what is the machine you were talking about for range of motion.

Any questions you have learned through your experience that i should ask

thanks thanks thanks thanks

Offline agresknee

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 03:58:03 AM »
We had surgery moved to tomorrow doing a new MPFL with Cadevaer tissue and we are doing the Fulkerson procedure any tips on rehab or helping my daughter through this major surgery greatly appreciated you have all been wonderful help so far.

thanks

Offline spurs27

• Regular Poster
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009, 09:57:37 PM »
Good news on using the cadaver tissue!  Like I said, I've had no issues with it.

The CPM machine was a machine that I put my leg on top of and it would bend my knee at a prescribed set angle.  The machine runs really slowly and can be incrementally sped up and the angle can increased as ROM improves.  Just Google "continuous passive motion machine" or just type in CPM machine for short.  Some doctors use them, some don't...I had one and think it is the reason I gained ROM back quickly.  Your daughters OS can write a prescription for one and have it delivered to the house.  I had my leg in it for 3-6 hours/day for the first 2 weeks.

Only other advice I would give right now is to tell her to try and move her knee even if it is just a little bit as soon as she can.  Having the Fulkerson procedure will not make this easy though.  Read the "TTT" posts on this site as that is what a Fulkerson is often times referred as.

Good luck and start a post-op journal in the recovery room section so others can see her progress and offer help.

Brian
History:

Offline agresknee

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2009, 10:28:13 PM »
I did ask about the CPM machine and he said her case he does not want to use one and does it case by case we do have the ice machine, she is having much more trouble with this surgery but he did a major over hall,,,,,,,,,,,,ok she had the MPFL with the cadeavar tissue, a lateral release and the fulkerson TTT YIKES but he was supposed to keep her overnight but she did so well he said if we wanted we could go home and she was like I AM GOING HOME I tried to change her mind but she was determined to do home.  She has been sleeping since we got home.

we were lucky surgery was supposed to be tomorrow but moved to today so extra day of healing and progress.

Will try to find the recovery board you mentioned.  The Doctor felt very confident she was fixed I HOPE SO

will keep you posted any other tid bits you can share on your recovery

Offline agresknee

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2009, 10:53:37 PM »
At 18 weeks you are running that is great any how does it feel the same or better,

when she had the last surgery the knee felt the same even when it didnt move before it restretched out,,,,,,,does your knee feel the same and just doesnt dislocate or does the surgery change how the knee feels adn doesnt dislocate

Offline spurs27

• Regular Poster
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2009, 02:52:45 AM »
Wow...TTT, MPFL Recon, and LR?  That's alot all in one surgery!  Sounds like she is off to a good start though.

I would say that my knee feels different and has not dislocated.  It's hard to explain because I think that physically and structurally my knee is way better but mentally I still think it needs to be protected because I favored it for so long. 

The rehab and physical therapy was rough...no sugar-coating that.  But tell her to get it moving as soon as possible and it'll go much better.

I have a post-op journal in the "Post-Op Journal <100 Posts" page in the "Recovery Room" section off the website if you want all the gory details on my recovery  ;D

TTFN...

Brian

History:

Offline agresknee

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2009, 03:06:26 AM »
great i will try to find it tomorrow,  the onQ pain machine  came apart so now just sitting paniced waiting for phone to ring to teach me how to put back in..........this is why you spend the night in the hospital........lol oh well live and learn she had a nerve block so as long as we get it back together by tomorrow i think we will be okay

did you have one of the pain bags that last three days

Offline agresknee

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2009, 10:11:04 PM »
day two and we are having some pretty bad pain and the on Q pain pump still has another day and she taking 2 oxycodene tablets and when we get near the 4 hour mark of the pain killer she is in major pain

what did you take for your surgery as painkiller

we are elevating and icing she has the ice machine