Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Advice for a year and a half long problem  (Read 924 times)

Offline okelfgirl

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Advice for a year and a half long problem
« on: June 12, 2009, 10:26:24 PM »
The anterior portion of my left knee has been hurting for about a year and a half now
•   I went into the OS   in late June of 2008 and he said it was probably plica syndrome. He        prescribed Naproxen as needed, but  there was no change whatsoever.

•   I went in again in early August of 2008 and he said that it was idiopathic and there was nothing really he could do. He named some things, but didn't seem too eager to do anything and said we'd just see how it goes.

The pain is almost constant , but it does seem to get somewhat better at times. I haven't noticed any major activity differences between when the pain is at its worse and when it gets better. I'm not running any marathons! Occasionally, my hip on that same side(left) hurts along with the knee. Whether that is from a gait change or what I don't know.  The doctor seemed to believe  the knee pain would eventually go away, but it is affecting my life and I’m started to get very weary of it. I no longer take naproxen as I did. I recently started working as a stocker at Wal-mart and the knee pain has now almost become constant. The other night I noticed that my left knee looked puffy compared to the right one.  I am only 19 and I don't know what to do next. Should I go back in to the original OS I visited nearly a year ago? Should I seek another opinion? Does anybody have a suggestion as to what could cause this?
Other facts: I do work around animals, so I've taken some falls, but  nothing that caused immediate pain or swelling and nothing just  before the pain started. I also suffered from something believed to be a tick borne illness in 2007. Tested neg for lyme. I am a skinny, fairly active girl who does not play sports. I live in the US.

Offline embillma

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Advice for a year and a half long problem
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 10:31:06 PM »
My opinion is to go to a different OS.  Have you grown a lot in the past couple of years? A lot of teens have problems with their knees for a few years while they are still growing but that eventually goes away.  if you are having pretty constant pain though, I would get a second opinion and see if he/she can tell you anything more helpful. 

Take care.
1998 ACL reconstruction
2005 Microfracturing
2006 ACI
2007 Overgrowth of ACI -trimmed down excess cartilage

support