Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Hi all considering soccer retirement at 29 (knee pain)  (Read 1300 times)

Offline theyid

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hi all considering soccer retirement at 29 (knee pain)
« on: June 12, 2009, 01:04:18 AM »
Hi all,

Looking for some advice about my persistent knee pain. I'm now 29 and had it for most of my adult life. I have good days with virtually no pain but more bad when it hurts even to walk up the stairs. It's tolerable and I even play football once or twice a week. Thing is the bad days are getting coming more and more and I find I have difficulty running round. I've been blaming my fitness but am very fit so I've accepted it's the knee. I had a knee athroscopy last year after ligament damage and was told to attempt physio before having a full op as I might get away with strengthening the muscles. This seemed to have worked for a time after physio I played again. I go to the gym and work on my legs (I'm a personal trainer) and do free weights at home.

I'm not sure whether to call it a day or give it another go, I'm worried I've had osteoarthritis set. I have pain in my ankle and wrists from previous ligament injuries so I may just be vulnerable to injury. Problem is I love football (soccer) and am not one of these people who can take it easy. It's all or nothing for me. I'm going to vist the Doc tomorrow for further advice.

Sorry this is so long any comments/advice would be appreciated and thanks for taking the time to read.  :)

Offline embillma

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Hi all considering soccer retirement at 29 (knee pain)
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 05:25:26 AM »
Best of luck!! I know exactly what you are going through.  I have had to give up soccer now too and it's super depressing!! I miss it so much but still try to stay competitive in other areas to fill that void.  Nothing is the same but so far substitiuting with biking, swimming, and other low impact sports is helping a little.   I'm really hoping to get all of my knee problems taken care of so that someday I can get back to running again.  Let us know what the doctor says.  It's hard to give advice before knowing all of the details. 

Take care of yourself...that knee has to last you a long time!
1998 ACL reconstruction
2005 Microfracturing
2006 ACI
2007 Overgrowth of ACI -trimmed down excess cartilage

Offline prowlenn

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 03:55:00 PM »
I am not a doctor but from personal experience put surgery last.  If physio worked before for sometime I would try it again.  The more surgery they do, the worse you can get but you need to talk to your doctor and see what they suggest.  I had to give up coaching my six yr olds soccer team, I can not do drills with my 13 year old son for soccer, and I love to skateboard but have not even been able to use my new Tony Hawk Birdhouse (nice board in skateboarding, price was around $120.00) Just don't give up.  There are alot of people on here that have given great advice and they helped me to look in a direction that my os hasn't.  Keep us updated.

Sam   \m/

I would rather be hated for what I am then loved for what I am not......

Offline gav1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 05:31:33 PM »
Hello, sorry to hear about your situation, i am going through a similar thing at the moment.

I'm 28 and have played football for as long as i can remember, however i tore my ACL 2 and half years ago and not played since.

I've had 4 ops, 2 Cartliage repairs and an ACL Reconstruction. I still have a pain but my OS has told me he cant see anything else wrong.  He has advised me to build up knee strength and to wear a knee brace if I want to chance playing football again.

He thinks I should consider not playing such sports as football to protect the knee but I just want to give it another chance, it hard to give up something you love, and the last two and a half years have been a nightmare.

There is not alot anyone can say to you that your doc hasnt already told you. You've probably looked all over the internet for help as well but these two sites helped me:

http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cybertherapist/injurylist.htm

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/knee_pain_overview/article_em.htm

Offline madel23

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 06:52:58 PM »
Hi gav1,

Did your doctor recommend any particular brand or type of knee brace?

Thanks!

Offline gav1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 02:29:44 PM »
Hi Madel23

My OS did'nt recommend a specific brand, just that it should be a hinged support with neoprene

Offline midfield general

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 10:36:16 AM »
      Hi,
         I am going thru something similar myself although poss a bit futher down the line. I have just had an acl recon on my right knee( 3 weeks now ) and even though my consultant says i will regain strenght to play again there is very little chance of ever kicking a ball in anger! He hasnt met my WIFE!!!! theres no way she will allow me even to play with the kids.
         I have had knee pain in both knees for a number of years and iI wore the usual neoprene knee supports while playing, also for a couple days after a match cos stairs and slopes were difficult. During a match i would play all out and as a winger plenty of running turning etc, and at 39 alllways up against the cocky little 17yr old opposition, you know how it is. Anyway the enevitable happend during a match in january(2009) i turrned and WOW the pain, i thought i had snapped my shin, the noise and the fact that when i looked at my leg it was bent 90 degrees sideways. Fortunatly (huh yeah ) i had only snapped my acl, torn medial, lateral ligaments and gouged miniscus and dislocated patella.
         So from jan (2009) to may (2009) i had to endure weeks in plaster and then a hinged leg brace set at about 20 degrees movement. 

So really what I am trying to say is If you are willing to go 9-12 months of ops and physio with no guarentee of playing competativley again and seriously hampering your chances of participating in other physicaly challenging sports then play on through the pain. If that is just not an opption then the pain you are in now is your bodies way of saying "Hey somethings not right take it easy ".

Sorry if its a downer mate but honestly in my opinion its not just the physical inconveience its also the financial stress, family stress and mental stress that you have to way up. Football was my life, but now i wouldnt wish this on my worst enemy. In time my attitude may change cos with the passage of time you forget the pain and difficulties but it really is for me at least a year of my life wasted hopping about in constant pain.
        I really hope you can get your situation resolved without having to resort to surgery and you can in time return to the beautifull game after all "its not a matter of life or death its more important than that".
        BEST OF LUCK MATE!!