Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Snap, Crackle, POP! - Woes of the Uninsured  (Read 1218 times)

Offline bsc

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Snap, Crackle, POP! - Woes of the Uninsured
« on: June 09, 2009, 08:43:06 PM »
First, I'd like to preface this question with the simple statement of, "Wow!" I wish I had known about this site a week-and-a-half ago when I initially mucked up my knee. Dr. Google has nothing on you (plural).

Second, I'd like to make it clear that I have not seen a doctor and, frankly, cannot do so until I find a better employment situation that will actually pay out benefits. Going in now for a diagnosis would lead to a pre-existing insurance exemption if something serious were to be found. Insanity!

That said, I'm not using the forums as a replacement for medical care...just trying to bide my time and see what, if anything, can be ascertained from what occurred.

-----

About 1.5 weeks ago I was in a yoga class (I practice 4/5 times per week) in a pose that had a large amount of pressure on my right knee. (We were in a runner's lunge http://www.bicycling.com/yoga/2.jpg except that the top of the rear foot was pressing up on the ground, rather than the toes.) I noticed that my rear foot was splayed out to the side and decided to straighten it. Rather than place my hands down to absorb the pressure, I just twisted in the lunging position...clearly resulting in my rear leg going two different directions at once.

There was a loud popping/grinding sound (the girl next to me in class hear it) and I felt my knee sublux/dislocate. The patella definitely slid out and after a second or so (coupled with my tumbling down to the mat) slid back in. There was noise with this "going back in to place" action as well.

Now, the pain was in now way crippling; it was very uncomfortable, but I was able to finish out the yoga class (omitting any of the poses that placed significant pressure on my right knee). When I got home, I immediately began my R.I.C.E. regimen, but didn't notice any visible swelling, and could hobble around relative ease. The only time I experienced significant discomfort was going up or down stairs.

Approaching the two-week mark after the injury, and I'm at about 90% recovery (well, in terms of mobility and lack of discomfort). There's still some pain after quickly ascending/descending stairs...and a soupcon of instability afterward, but that's about it. I have pain on the medial side of the knee, and almost "under" the patella (whilst working the stairs) but that's it.

As a bit of background, something similar happened about ten years ago (doing the chicken dance in High School - how embarrassing)...and since that point in time I've had a minor minor minor subluxation every other year or so with pain and tenderness that dissipates within the hour.

SOOOOO.....given that I wasn't in horrendous pain, and that there was little-to-no swelling, and that I've regained most of my mobility in under two weeks, how likely is it that I tore my ACL? Would a meniscus tear be more probable given the medial tenderness in my knee? Can the knee, when subluxating (subluxing?), make a loud series of snaps and pops - audible to those nearby - without something internal tearing/ripping/shredding etc?

Again, I'm just trying to figure out the most likely scenario as a holdover until I get insurance, which will be soon I hope. I realize that NOTHING can be definitive short of a doctor's visit and MRIs, but I haven't got hundreds of dollars lying about (to say nothing of thousands) with which to cover these things. Maybe I should just go to Thailand and have some discount plastic surgery performed while I'm at it!

Thanks in advance!

Offline danny200988

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Snap, Crackle, POP! - Woes of the Uninsured
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 11:20:53 PM »
Hi
Am really sorry to hear of your predicament.
Im not a doctor, but have had a ruptured acl and am six weeks post op acl reconstruction with a hamstring graft. I ruptured my acl playing football (soccer) in august 08. My left foot was planted in the ground when i was caught with a late challenge, while twisting to avoid it. I heard a loud pop and severe pain and that was that. Was able to walk after and had minimal swelling before applying R.I.C.E but my knee was very unstable and even more painful.
From the sound your knee made (pop), the instability of it after going up and down stairs and the pain behind your knee cap, would possibly suggest some form of acl damage. I can only speak from first hand and you would definately need to see a doctor.
Although, it might be worth going to a physio to see what they say. They can give you all sorts of movement exercises to possibly narrow down the problem, also give you leg strengthening exercises which should make your knee more stable and possibly bareable if it is your acl.
I hope it's nothing and don't mean to put a damper on things lol!!!!.

Hope i have been helpful in some way!!!

Dan

Offline bsc

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 06:44:49 PM »
Dan,

Thanks you for your reply. I hope things are going well for you post-op.

I look forward to updating this post when I'm finally able to see a doctor. While I was hoping that the absence of acute, incapacitating pain was some indicator that nothing "major" happened, your case history proves that the opposite is entirely within the realm of possibility. Drats!

Until I'm insured and able to go in for thorough testing (read: an MRI), I've been provided with a litany of exercises to strengthen the quads etc. by a friend of mine who's a physical therapist. Additionally, I've spoken about what happened with my various yoga instructors who are all helping me maintain my practice without compromising the integrity of the knee, and further strengthening this Bermuda triangle of undiagnosed problems.

On the upside, I'm just under two weeks out from the initial injury and the pain/discomfort is all but gone. There's a hint of instability after going up/down multiple flights of stairs but that's it. Fingers crossed.

-Ben

vinnic

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 11:52:47 PM »
Ben, are you in the US?  With no insurance, I'm guessing you are but apologize if I'm wrong.  If so, it might be worthwhile to look up any hospitals or clinics in your area that accept patients without insurance at little or no cost...(this may depend on your situation of course).  They may be able to examine the knee, give you pointers, or even set you up with therapy or home exercises while you wait for obtaining your own insurance.  Best of luck to you.

Offline bsc

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 04:03:37 PM »
Vinnic,

I am, indeed, in the U.S. of A. - who needs insurance when you've got capitalism?!

I know of several clinics/hospitals that I could go to at reduced/no cost, but am reluctant to do so as any diagnosis would preclude me from insured coverage down the line. Those nagging pre-existing conditions.

I could always use an alias....something to consider.

In the meantime, I have an entire regimen of exercises given to me by a PT friend to target and strengthen the quadriceps etc.

vinnic

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 05:08:31 PM »
Figures...the pre-existing conditions bit just sucks.  Luckily my current plan didn't have any exclusions, believe it or not!  Well, it's good you have an entire program from your friend.  Best of luck to you and hope you get it all sorted soon enough.

support