Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: acl surg with hypermobility  (Read 7984 times)

Offline whoever

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
acl surg with hypermobility
« on: June 06, 2009, 07:58:48 PM »
Hi I'm 31 years old living in pretty much constant pain in knee. I need surg for acl partial tear. I was told by my surg. that 2 out of 2 patients with hypermobilly streched out new acl after he performed surg. He told me there is no point in surg because this will prob. happen to me as well. Any suggestions? cort. shots forever?

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
Re: acl surg with hypermobility
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 01:32:17 AM »
Hi there,

You need to find a surgeon that understands hypermobility better.

I have hypermobility and had quite a bit of knee surgery.

About 10 years ago I had a MPFL reconstruction using a hamstring graft and worked really well. It has not stretched out.

If a surgeon keeps your hypermobility in mind then you should have a better result. Mine does and makes a big difference.

Whereabouts are you based ?
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair
22/05/08 - LK Trochleoplasty
11/02/10 - RK Trochleoplasty
07/03/11 - RK Chrondroplasty

Offline whoever

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 06:00:29 PM »
hi, I'm having trouble responding to this website and finding my post. Thank you for writing me if I am able to find it. I live On East Cost USA in small town. You think I should go ahead with surgery anyway? My surgen will do it if I wish. I just don't want to go through it all for nothing. I hope I did this post correct. Thanks again for reply.

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 02:24:23 PM »
Hi there,

I would urge you to get another opinion from a knee surgeon that can work with you on your hypermobility. A lot of doctors don't understand it very well. I can't stress enough how important it is to find a surgeon that understands this problem better.

Good luck !
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair

Offline whoever

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 06:05:41 PM »
thank you, I had decided to just live with it, now I'm not so sure. I have noticed from this website and others that people like me are getting surgery and still having problems. I have a little boy at home to watch out for and I really don't want to go through surgery for nothing. I will have to find someone to care for my son while I'm laid up and I don't leave him with anyone but family. Now I just feel like I'm complaining. I don't mean to I know many others have it much worse than I do. Again, thank you for reply.

Offline singermel

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 07:25:14 PM »
I have hypermobility in both knees...adn that is why my ACL tore 10 years ago.   I was told that people with hypermobility issues are at risk for ACL tears.  Even though the graft might stretch a bit...it is still there for stability which helps when you have to run after kids...etc.

I went ahead and had the hamstring graft and it was great for 10 years! ...the graft was strong and I had no problems with it stretching...that said I now have a tibial Plateau Fracture from where the screw is from the ACL repair.  I was jumping on the trampoline..hyperextended the knee when I came down on my feet and the force of landing bypassed my knee joint and put too much pressure on the tibia and it cracked where the screw is located.  Even now...the graft is still there I did not mess up the ACL repair at all..only my tibial plateau. 

So I would get it done again...but I would never get on a trampoline again or do things like yoga which encourage hypermobility and hyperflexibilty.  hope that helps...and yes you will need help for about 2 weeks after surgery.

mel
4/30 TPF jumping on trampoline
5/6   3 screws/crutches NWB
5/14  Staples out restrict to 90 deg ROM
5/15  Start PT
5/28  Restriction lifted to full ROM
6/18  PWB

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 01:35:26 PM »
Hi there,

I agree with Mel, it is definitely worth having the surgery. Otherwise, you will have a much more unstable knee.

There is actually a very high success rate with an ACL reconstructions. I think it is about 90%. So, don't be too worried about the surgery not working. A lot of people post on here as they are desperate to find answers.

It is worth getting another opinion to see what they say. Make sure it is someone that understands hypermobility well.
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair

Offline whoever

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 06:31:49 PM »
thank you so much everyone! I am touched that you have taken the time to write some one that you have never met. I will now be seeking another opinion. It wont hurt, well, not any more than it already does. The cortisone shot didn't seem to do much for me execpt for limit the amount i can bend the knee. Well maybe it is working and I just don't know it. Maybe the pain would be worse if I hadn't got the shot and I just don't know. It seems now the pain is less ache and more of a twisted feeling. Like the leg is in the wrong spot. Any one know what I mean? Thank you again, I am so happy I found this support group. And again, sorry for those of you who have it so much worse. 

RE singermel, is there anything they can do for you? It sounds very painful. Looking back I remember being young and jumping on a trampoline wondering why my knee kept coming out. Funny how we all have little clues leading up to other things in our lives....

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2009, 09:17:34 PM »
Hi Whoever,

No worries. I know all too well what it is like living with hypermobility syndrome and can be so difficult getting the right people to treat you. It took me a long time to find the right people to treat me. Now I have a wonderful sports physician and shoulder physio. My shoulder surgeon and knee surgeon understand my hypermobility really well too. Whenever I've had surgery they keep my hypermobility in mind. They have often had to hold me back initially not getting too much ROM to start with.

I had a cortisone shot as well. In fact, last week. It helped a lot, but still in a lot of pain. Seeing my OS this morning. Can't wait to see what he says.
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair

Offline whoever

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2009, 01:26:02 PM »
well good luck at the os! It's a nice feeling when you think you're going to get fixed. I also have shoulders that pop out. I know someday this will be an issue for me as well. I can feel and hear what sounds like bones crushing when I move shoulders. I hope I don't become a hunchback! Are your shoulder problems related to work or injury? And do you hear that horrible sound too? I'm thinking as long as I don't injure my shoulders and hips I might be ok.   Do you think getting too much rom too soon contributes to stretching out the muscles in people like us? You seem to have been through a lot. Maybe you are meant to help the uninformed like me. 

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2009, 02:08:02 PM »
Hi Whoever,

Yeah, guess I have been through a lot. Had 11 orthopaedic operations since 1996. Not good, but am so much better now. I've had surgery once on each shoulder, 2 on my left ankle, 5 on my left knee and 2 on my right knee.

Fortunately having a good sports physician as well as a shoulder surgeon and knee surgeon has really helped. They have helped put my body back together again. I must say they are all fantastic. If I ever get married I will invite them to my wedding I reckon as without them I would not be where I am today.

I had a fall with my left shoulder when I lived in the UK. Fell on snow that had iced over and dislocated my shoulder. Did physio for ages, but didn't help. When I lived in London used to get bumped on the tube all the time with my right shoulder. Did physio for a couple of years, but didn't help. So, I had surgery about 2 years ago. Still recovering as I've had 2 car accidents in the last 2 years and keeps flaring up.

Getting ROM too soon is not good for us hypermobile people. It can stretch out the joint again. Hope you find an OS that understands hypermobility. It is sooo important.

11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair

Offline singermel

• Regular Poster
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2009, 09:05:43 PM »
Whoever,
I am just sitting here on my behind with 3 more screws in my tibia ;D  I have to be NWB for 3 months...so I am on the board for TPF (bone breaks around the knee)  I agree with having to listen to your body when you are younger...Who knew that you have to be careful when you are hypermobile/flexible...it seems like a strength not a disability...esp when you are a gymnast 8)  Now I know better and am more aware of things that are hard on the joints and twisting and stuff. 

Take Care,
MEl
4/30 TPF jumping on trampoline
5/6   3 screws/crutches NWB
5/14  Staples out restrict to 90 deg ROM
5/15  Start PT
5/28  Restriction lifted to full ROM
6/18  PWB

Offline whoever

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2009, 05:53:14 PM »
OH NO THREE months! Thank goodness for computers (and tv). Yes, no twisting for me either. Even walking sideways in between things is a bad idea. I think being hypermobile is a gift of some sort. It must serve some purpose, right? You are a gymnist, some others are good athletes. I never really did anything with mine, maybe for a reason too. The only injury I have now is the acl. I'm triing to figure out how to find a surgeon with hypermobility experience. What u think I should do? Just cold call all of them and give my story?

if anyone knows anymore good websites about us feel free to post to me!

Offline jennie-jack

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2009, 10:48:13 AM »
i have hypermobility syndrome too. i also have a full thickness tear of my acl and my mcl has healed on a stretch so i am permenantly in a donjoy brace as the knee is so unstable.

os was useless, said your hypermobile no chance and said keep the brace and discharged me.

apparently fat female and hypermobile made me a bad candidate for repair. i have since lost nearly 3 st and am still going then going to find a decent os that will help me. i am 27 but feel 77, needing a bath chair and braces for ever.

i think the surgery is worth the risk

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2009, 01:34:22 PM »
Hi Jennie-jack,

That is ridiculous what you were told by the OS you went to.

As long as the OS has an understanding of hypermobility you will be fine.

Whereabouts are you based ?
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair

support