Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Synvisc One  (Read 22381 times)

Offline perkiteacher

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Synvisc One
« on: June 05, 2009, 06:50:27 PM »
I have not read about anyone on here who has had the new Synvisc One injection.  It is done in only one shot, instead of three and I had it this morning.  After inserting the needle, the doctor said, "It's done, the needle is in now" (apparently thinking that the worst part was over).  However, as he began the actual injecting, that is when the REAL pain began and I began squirming.  He then said, "It is a feeling of pressure" and I responded, somewhat loudly, "oh, that's not pressure; that's PAIN!"  :o  He said, "Okay, you are okay for six months" and he walked out of the room.  Fortunately, I had brought my mom along for moral support, because walking out of the doctor's office was NOT easy.  It was a while before I was able to put full weight on it.  They should have warned me to bring crutches. 

Anyway, the pain is not so bad now, just very stiff with mild to moderate discomfort when walking.  I will post more over the next few days and weeks to let you all know how it goes from here.

Offline perkiteacher

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Synvisc One
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 09:38:54 PM »
Day two and all is well.  My knee is only slightly more swollen than usual due to yesterday's injection.  The pain is no better and no worse than usual but I understand that it takes several weeks to work.   I am relieved to not have had any of the adverse reactions from the Synvisc that I have read about on this site.  I was a little concerned about side effects since I was having it all done in one shot rather than the usual 3.

Offline Penny W

• Regular Poster
  • Be weird whenever you have the chance
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 01:37:10 AM »
I had the series of three injections many times.I think I noticed it wearing off more then I noticed it working if that makes any sense it was very gradual (sp) and I didn't quite notice that the pain was better until it started getting bad again.

And I also thought it was about the most painful injection I ever recieved.I told them after the first series I would never do them again but when the pain comes back you don't really have a choice.

I hope this gives you relief. :)
June 2003 L knee scope with the holes for tissue regeneration
Sept 2003 R knee scope
March 2005 L foot cyst removed
June 2006 Broke L ankle 2 plates 18 screws
Feb 2007 L ankle scar tissue removal
Nov 2007 Plate broke in ankle removed and replaced with bone putty
Dec 2008 R knee TKR w/lat rel.

Offline ladystail01

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 05:20:23 PM »
I had the Synvisc One done on Tuesday afternoon.  Apparently I am one of the "few" who are having an adverse reaction because by Wednesday night my leg was very stiff and painful.  By Friday I noticed my leg was swollen from the ankle to the thigh.  I called the doctor and he told me that he had one patient who had a similar reaction and I should come in on Monday.  Called him Saturday that I was in a lot of pain and he told me to elevate the leg and take Tylenol.

I didn't get much sleep last night.  Couldn't find a place that was comfortable for my leg.  Took Tylenol at 12:30 am -- no relief.  There is discomfort at the instep and I am in more severe pain in the knee than the pain I was trying to alleviate.

This is my fourth go at these injections.  First I had Synvisc in 2004.  Then I tried Euflexxa in 2007, then Orthovisc in 2008.  Now Synvisc One.  Synvisc worked. Eulexxa gave me a little relief. Orthovisc only about two weeks relief. I'm worried now that I have done permanent damage to my leg.  I don't want to go for the knee replacement any sooner than I have to.     I take care of my 91 year old mother 24/7 and I cannot be off my feet for the length of time it would take to recover. 

Offline achybrakeyknees

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 07:36:45 PM »
I asked my doctor about synvisc I and they said they gave it to only one patient and there was a bad reaction.  Lots of swelling and pain.   They are hesitant to use it again.   I think I'll stick with the three next time.   

I would hope that once you're reaction subsides, you'll get the same result from the injection as you would have from three.  Basically its the same thing as the three, just harder to tolerate in the beginning. 
Lisa

Offline ladystail01

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 10:11:31 PM »
It's funny how everyone has such different reactions to the same injection.  Fortnately I never had any pain to speak of when they gave me the injections (as I have read others mention).  My leg is only slightly swollen now, but my ankle and instep still swell by evening time.  I have begun a series of low intensity laser therapy (LILT) which the doctor suggested.  I had read about that and had wanted to try it anyway.  I have to take 8-12 treatments.  I am going for #5 tomorrow.  He also wants me to go for physical therapy which I will discuss with him tomorrow.

When I spoke with the doctor he said he only had one patient who had the same  reaction.  When I spoke to the Syvisc company they said "if the doctors don't report it they don't know about it" which after reading the posts on this site, makes me think that they are just protecting themselves from lawsuits.  No way to prove or disprove.

Will post again when I have some news.  Be well. Stay strong. Hope that tomorrow will better!

Marcia

Offline ladystail01

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 04:37:15 AM »
Hi achybrakeykne:

I was wondering if you could ask your doctor how long it took for his patient's sweling to subside.  My doctor isn't giving me much info and it is two weeks today and I believe that my leg is still swollen.  My doctor only says that he had one patient and hers was worse than mine (some comfort!).   He had said it could take two days or two weeks.  To me that seems like a brush-off.  This is a new doctor that I had just gone to to get the Synvisc injection.  He is a pain management doctor and I don't have any history with him.

Thanks for any feedback you can give me.

Marcia

Offline perkiteacher

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 01:38:38 AM »
Hi all! This Friday will be three weeks since I had the injection.  We just got back from a two week vacation and I have noticed no difference in the pain in my knee since before the injection.  It is still very swollen (as it was before the injection) and the pain is no better or no worse than before.  It basically did.......nothing!  ::)

Offline ladystail01

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2009, 04:35:31 AM »
Hi perkiteacher:

You mention that your knee is swollen as before the injection.  Was your knee swollen before and did it get more swollen after? 

I had the Synvisc, Euflexxa and Orthovisc prior to the Synvisc One and never had the pain that you mentioned as getting from the shot itself.  This time my leg from the hip to instep swelled up and it was two weeks on Tuesday since I had the shot.  My leg is better today but I don't think the swelling is completely gone.

I am now getting the laser therapy treatments as per doctor's suggestion and today got some physical therapy.  I seem to have less pain in the knee (most of the day) but I don't know if it's from the Synvisc or from the laser.

Hope you get some relief soon.

Marcia

Offline perkiteacher

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2009, 01:04:50 AM »
To answer your question, my knee has been swollen ever since my partial menisectomy in February.  The doctor said, and very impatiently I might add, "Well, we told you that you have severe arthritis in that knee" and then recommended the injection. 

I am only guessing here but I think that the reason for my pain during the injection was because it was so inflamed when he did it.  I felt the Synvisc as it came into contact with all of the sensitive points in my knee where it was/is inflamed (there are about 4 points that hurt when I walk but also are very sensitive to the touch).  As soon as he put in the needle, I felt intense pain at those four points.

It only swelled up slightly more than usual that evening and now it is the same as always.  I thought about going for the tkr but I am only 43.  I have an appointment tomorrow for a blood test to see if it is osteo or rheumatoid.  From my research, the swelling and the fact that I have had pain in other joints (my hips and shoulders, and other knee) I am leaning towards rheumatoid (although I hope not).

I hope things get better for you too. :)

Offline ladystail01

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2009, 09:01:18 PM »
Hi perkiteacher:

Good luck with the tests.

Yesterday and today my knee seems to be better.  It goes out on me from time to time and I have pain part of the day, but was able to "run" around doing my house chores better than I have in the recent weeks.  Didn't go for treatment today, had no one to take care of my mom.  Hopefully will go on Monday.  My ankle still swells by the end of the day, but I think the leg is 95% less swollen, so I guess I am making progress.

These types of doctors don't seem to have too much personality from what my and others experience is.  I guess they get immune to other people's pain because they deal with it every day.  I'd like to see how they handle it if it were them in the "pain seat".  No too well I'd wager!

Have a wonderful weekend.

Marcia

Offline perkiteacher

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2009, 04:26:58 AM »
Yes, I would love to be able to give my doctor the Synvisc shot...lol! ;D

Offline Java

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2009, 05:24:51 PM »
Hi!
I found your blog while researching Synvisc One.  I was wondering if you have felt more relief since your last post?
I suffered a displaced Tibial Plateau fracture last October and have 2 plates and 15 screws.  All was well....until the arthritis set in.
I had a cortizone shot a couple months ago and have not felt that much relief since before my accident....All of a sudden I was back to doing everything I could prior to my accident.  But...the cortizone wore off in 3 short weeks.  Now I'm investigation Synvisc.
I never had knee problems prior to my fracture, so I think my arthritis is still init's early stages.  I'm hoping I'm a good candidate, and I don't have allergies to poultry or anything.......
I'm only 37, and there is know way I can have a TKR anytime soon.

I'm interested to know how you're doing...or anyone else with my similar condition....it's so hard when you get just a little taste of life pain free...then have to go back to misery!

Hope all is well

Java

Offline ladystail01

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2009, 12:00:08 AM »
Hi Java:

I had a very bad reaction to the Synvisc one shot.  My leg blew up and I had stiffness in the leg.  My first Synvisc three shot (several years ago) lasted quite some time.  Over the last few years I had two more sets of injections from different manufacturers.  Neither really did anything.  I decided to try to Synvisc again and they had the one shot.

I asked the doctor if my reaction was because it was given in one shot instead of three and he said it wasn't.  He only had one other person who had a similar reaction, but I have read on this site of others who have had severe problems.  Everyone is different but I won't do it again.  I have been told that subsequent treatments don't work as well as the first one.

After the injection and my leg got better I went for a series of 12 laser treatments.  To be honest, I think I'm worse off now then I was before I tried all of this.  Bottom line is they want to do knee replacement, but I am not in a position where I can do it now, so I will just have to suffer.

My advice is to really research it and check up on the credenials of the doctor who will be treating you.  Good luck and feel better.

Offline ladystail01

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2009, 04:29:01 PM »
Hi 3cdguru:

I had heard about ozone therapy but am so fed up with all the treatments I have had and am feeling worse that I decided not to do anything else.  However, I just sent Dr. Shallenberger's site an e-mail asking for doctors who perform that in my neighborhood and will research that as a possibility in the future.

Thanks.

Offline ladystail01

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2009, 04:51:08 AM »
Hi 3cdguru:

I live in Brooklyn New York.  I just looked up on the site you gave me but there were no doctors listed in my immdiate area.  I will have to do more research into this.  I take care of my 91 year old mother 24/7 so I am very limited as to how much time I can get away.  I know the doctor who did the laser said there is a doctor on the next block from him that does this, and I would research his credenials before I would use him.

Right now I am scheduled for cataract surgery on both eyes (weeks apart) and I am not looking into anything else till that is all taken care of. Thanks for your input.

Marcia

Offline ladystail01

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2009, 07:23:56 PM »
Hi 3cdguru:

Thanks.  I'll report back when I have followed up on the other options.  Be well.

Marcia

Offline gahall60

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2009, 01:16:34 AM »
I also have just had Synvisc One about a week and a half ago.  So far I have not noticed any difference -still the same stiffness and soreness.  Has anyone else had the same reaction.  I know they say wait three to four weeks but I wonder if I should have seen some improvement by this time.  Maybe I am just overanxious.

Offline ladystail01

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2009, 04:24:55 AM »
Hi gahall60:

Is this the first time you had this kind of injections?  When I originally had the Synvisc it worked well for quite some time.  I have a friend who got help for almost four years.  The second time I got shots it worked but not for quite as long.  And the third shots even less.  The Synvisc One blew my leg up and it was stiff and I am assuming that the more times you get these shots, the less they work.  Everyone is different.  I believe I got relief within a week the first time.

Hope you feel better real soon.

Marcia

Offline digginit

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2010, 02:51:42 AM »
I'm having a synvisc one injection into my *virgin* knee tomorrow. Had orthovisc twice in my other knee that subsequently got the tka (Sept '08).  My left knee has never been penetrated...lol.  It's nowhere near as bad as my right knee was when I had orthovisc (which for me worked well, but not very long). I'm hopeful that at at this early stage the shot will be helpful. The pain is very tolerable in my left knee, but I don't think it'll hold out for an upcoming ski trip. Hopeful that this injection will make the trip more fun.

Offline cosette66

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2010, 05:58:12 PM »
My 18 year old just had the Synvisc One injection and her Dr. did the same thing.  Walked in, started giving the shot (which was extremely painful hse says), then said, "ok - you're good to go", and walked out.  She was in tears by the time we walked out of the office.  It has been a week and she still has some pain and swelling.  The day after we got home, we could see the lump of the gel sitting above her knee.  I was kind of surprised that it wasn't injected under the knee cap but what do I know.  This week it's not quite so bad but it's still swollen and painful.  Is it normal where the Dr. put the injection? and the swelling?

support