Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: 6 weeks post op ACL reconstruction Hamstring Graft  (Read 994 times)

Offline danny200988

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
6 weeks post op ACL reconstruction Hamstring Graft
« on: June 02, 2009, 12:08:37 AM »
Hi everyone,
Am new to this so here i go. I ruptured my ACL in my left knee in august 2008 :'(, had an awkward turn whilst my boot was caught in the ground playing football and heard a loud pop and that was that!!!!. Went to hospital n had an MRI scan.The surgeon couldn't see properly if my acl was torn so i was scheduled for an arthoscopy in january 2009.The arthoscopy confirmed there was a gap where my ACL should have been and was told i would need ACL reconstruction.
I had the op on 20th April 2009. The surgeon was very happy with the graft and the operation. Saw the physio a week later and was extremly surprised and impressed at the range of movement and exercises that i was doing. Sadly however, my knee began to swell to a very large size and was very hot and red.I began to get a temperature and was ill. Was sent back up hospital where i had an infection in the wound and was kept in for 5 days on IV antibiotics. Since the infection cleared up my knee has been getting gradually better with minimul to no pain and have began walking without crutches around the house. The wound though still hasn't healed properly and is open at the top with a visible lump of flesh hanging out. The surgeon says this is quite normal and will heal. Was wondering if anyone has had the same or something similar?. Also could do with some words for what i can expect in the upcoming months.
Thanks

Offline Bigman78

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: 6 weeks post op ACL reconstruction Hamstring Graft
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 11:03:43 PM »
Hi Danny,

Your story is remarkably similiar to mine.... I've recently gone through what you have described below.

I am not sure if you still check this forum but if you do I would love to hear your progress in the last year or so.

Cheers
Visit my blog: http://aclrehab.blogspot.com/

Oct 11th 2010: 2nd Op to clean out staph infection
Oct 1st 2010: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Aug 26th 2010: R knee ACL rupture (soccer)