Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Blood Clot in Calf post-surgery?  (Read 3190 times)

Offline Luv2Run1206

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Blood Clot in Calf post-surgery?
« on: January 15, 2008, 02:24:47 PM »
I have been having horrible calf cramping and pain (like my knee doesnt even hurt, its my calf) - since my LR surgery last week.  Doc is sending me for ultrasound today to see if it could be a blood clot.  Has anyone had one, and if so, what was the treatment that you had to follow?  I'd like to have a general idea what to expect for a "worst case scenario" as I don't like surprises.  Thanks!

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
Re: Blood Clot in Calf post-surgery?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 04:28:07 PM »
First of all take a deep breath and don't assume the worst.  I too had the exact same thing.  They sent me to the hospital for the ultrasound and didn't find a thing.  So, it was determined it was muscle pain.  Just as a precaution he put me on a two week regimen of aspirin.  Frankly I've found the aspirin to really help with the everyday pains.  Also the os wants me to take the aspirin when traveling - several days prior and post.  Just as a precaution.

Now what they had me do to help with the calf pain was to lay flat on the bed witht he leg / knee flat, not on a pillow.  Then witht he leg flat pull the toes as far towards your leg and then push the opposite.  Frankly its just a heel toe exercise but you really have to work at it.  It did take some time for that pain to go away for me.   They've done several ultrasound  "just to make sure" type of thing. 

If it is something, and I'm not a doctor, you'll probably have an iv for 24 hours and then some medication.  Don't expect the worst, but I know how hard that is.  Let us know.  Eagle

fawn2388

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 05:46:17 PM »
I had that post LR also, there was nothing there, they say its' kind of normal depending, but its' better to be cautious... I've also been told to take asprin 2 weeks after surgery...

Offline jcblank

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 06:57:54 PM »
i have had a clot post surgery.  it was VERY painful.  i was immediately put on coumadin for a minimum of six months.  the pain lasted for a long time afterwards as a clot can cause muscle damage as it is starving for blood.  i basically had to watch how much time i was on my feet after the meds took effect.  although i didnt want to be on my feet.  i sat in a recliner with feet up for weeks and didnt do much.  hopefully all will be ok and you wont have a clot.
1995 menisectomy
9/06 menisectomy with resultant blood clot
6/07 meniscal transplant with peroneal nerve damage
12/07 peroneal nerve decompression

Offline Luv2Run1206

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 09:27:56 PM »
Well I got the news - I have multiple clots in 3 veins in my lower leg/calf!  How crazy - I have to give myself injections twice a day and will be on cumadin (i know i misspelled that) 3-6 months with weekly blood tests.  Has anyone dealt with that in the past?  How much time will this add to my recovery?

Offline jcblank

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 12:31:49 AM »
your recovery should be the same--there is just a kink in the path.  the injections should stop after you blood levels are in range--takes a week or so usually.  just be careful so that you dont cut yourself.  it is also recommended that you use a medic alert bracelet just in case.  if you have any further needs you can email me--i have been on coumadin 15 months--for the blood clot and other reasons and will remain on it forever.
1995 menisectomy
9/06 menisectomy with resultant blood clot
6/07 meniscal transplant with peroneal nerve damage
12/07 peroneal nerve decompression