Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: PT help for OA knees?  (Read 11506 times)

monroesoilman

PT help for OA knees?
« on: June 01, 2009, 12:15:43 AM »
I've never seen a PT, had two surgeries, OA in both knees and one knee is getting near, I think, to TKR. I've done Synvisc recently....
I wonder if a PT could perhaps help me replace the exercises that seem to be causing the knee to go downhill? My OS generally thinks they're a waste of money. My GP would prescribe one, though.
Anyone tried this route?

Offline maryc

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 18
Re: PT help for OA knees?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 12:27:34 AM »
When my OS diagnosed me with mild to moderate OS he sent me back to PT to work on some specific muscle groups.  My PT developed a specific program that I still follow.  We also reviewed my gym routine and he approved all the exercises.  He did however ban me from using the leg extension machine - too much torque on the knee joint.  I do additional SLRs instead.
I ran accross this study a while ago - although it was only done on older people with OA it makes sense.

http://www.aafp.org/afp/20000615/tips/12.html

Sending healing rays your way
8/4/07 fell
8/5 diagnosed TPF
8/6 surgery plate and 6 screws
8/12 out of hospital NWM
8/21 staples removed
9/18 OS appt - WBAT with crutches
10/10 - WBAT with cane
10/27 - back to work w/cane
12/26 - no cane, slight limp when tired
1/25/08 - released from PT, no limp
2/3/09 - Released by OS

monroesoilman

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 02:29:21 PM »
mayrc,

Thanks for the heads-up,
Sad to see that OA hits people in their 70s and 80s, but, oh well, I think I'll try getting a PT prescription this summer.

Now, how do you stop the (actual) dreams of playing basketball, running, cycling, hiking.......argh!

Offline lady

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • live well laugh often love much and play hard
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 01:47:11 AM »
I finished up with Pt a few weeks ago for OA. My quad was non existent. It still is not like the other leg but it is better. I feel stronger and I'm still going to the gym working on it. I was having a hard time on the stairs especialy going down and I am much better doing that. I totaly think PT was a good idea. Like MaryC I learned what I should do and not do. For awhile I was doing leg extentions and then when I went to PT they were shocked (as was the doc) and totaly told me to stop asap.

MaryC great article.

Tin Man is your doc telling you not to hike, run,cycle or play ball? My doc says do it up whatever want to do do. No restrictions - but and of course I'm finding I'm giving in to my knee more and restricting myself. I have slowed down. I stopped Boxing that was killin' me and I know doing more damage. I miss that big time the work out is amazing. I still hike, bike and coach soccer-however I have found biking on a stationary is easier and outside is getting tough. Stationary I can bike 10  miles but outside I'm lucky to do 5 without wanting to stop and I have a custom bike that is sitting in my garage collecting dust. I'm also finding I'm jumping in soccer scrimmages less and less and playing with alot less drive. But I  still run the drills and demonstrate (not well though) what I want my team to do.

Good luck with PT. I think you will find it is very helpful. You will not only help your OA but usualy the therapists are eager to educate. i was talking to a trainer at my gym who has OA in his elbow. He says when he is inactive he notices his Oa hurts more but when he is consistently active he feels less pain. Sounds good but I haven't experienced that myeslf.
dislocated patella and chopped off most of chondal 1985
chondroplasty/medial meniscus repair 1996
ACI  quater size defect-surgery failure
lateral meniscus repair2002
chondroplasty, lateral Meniscectomy2006
synvisc & orthovisc injections 2008/2009
drained and cortizone injection 2008

Offline black fly

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Missing hiking, running, basketball, fly fishing..
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 06:53:01 PM »
The more I exercise, the more the bad  knee hurts, it does help the  other OA knee to exercise, however.

I can bike about 20 miles of hilly Maine roads at about 17 mph, but then I'm toast for days after.
Spinning the exercise bike 10 miles does the same number on the knee. It feels  like I need TKR for 2 or 3 days after, then settles down.

I'm going to write my GP for a prescription today.

Thanks for the feedback.

Offline lady

• Forum Faithful
  • live well laugh often love much and play hard
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 08:12:22 PM »
My doc wants me wearing my unloader brace when I work out now, including biking. I hve woren it for the last 4days and wow what a differnce. It has helped so much. I am almost at a 4 minute mile and I have upped the intensity. I can also bike longer. Maybe you could speak to your doc about an unloader brace.
dislocated patella and chopped off most of chondal 1985
chondroplasty/medial meniscus repair 1996
ACI  quater size defect-surgery failure
lateral meniscus repair2002
chondroplasty, lateral Meniscectomy2006
synvisc & orthovisc injections 2008/2009
drained and cortizone injection 2008