Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Exercise with a Clunking Knee  (Read 19993 times)

monroesoilman

Exercise with a Clunking Knee
« on: May 29, 2009, 11:38:27 PM »
Biker here (Ex?)
After meniscus repair on (former) good knee Doc found tears on medial and a mess on lateral side. Yuck. Doc prescribed no PT, just an old photocopy of a couple of exercises. Other knee is OA knee, level 3.
After some 10 weeks, started back in on stationary and then road bike, did maybe a dozen rides, got miles back up to 30 or so, speed was getting back too, slow on hills though. One day at mile 18 I thought my bike crank had spun it bearings as I could hear a, "pop, pop, pop", mechanical sound, really quite loud. Of course, it was the knee. Went to the doc, he said it was swollen, gave me a cortisone shot, told me to cut exercise back 30%.

Cut bait with Doc, had GP give me Synvisc shots, walk better, he said lay off exercise for a month so the shots have a chance. He found 27 cc fluid on bad knee before shot #1.

So, now I'm afraid to exercise at all. Don't want to trash the knee which audibly clicks/clunks every peddle spin as I am now walking mostly w/o a limp on level ground. Anyone have experience with a knee like this? Will i speed up OA by cycling? ???

Offline lady

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • live well laugh often love much and play hard
Re: Exercise with a Clunking Knee
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 01:09:43 AM »
I have noticed riding my road bike kills my knee but stationary is not as bad. Not sure if it will speed up OA. I have always been under the impression biking is best. But if your exerpiencing pain I would stop and talk to your doc.  Good luck. I love to bike and hike and Its a bumma that Ican't do it as much as I would like. Or that I pay big time afterwards. I hope you can get back on the road.
dislocated patella and chopped off most of chondal 1985
chondroplasty/medial meniscus repair 1996
ACI  quater size defect-surgery failure
lateral meniscus repair2002
chondroplasty, lateral Meniscectomy2006
synvisc & orthovisc injections 2008/2009
drained and cortizone injection 2008

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 04:40:55 PM »
I just came from the os and have what his answer's are concerning exercise.  Water / swimming, recumbent bike, elliptical machine (I was very surprised at that one, and finally walking.  He says to do 50% of what you think you can do for 1 week, then go up 10% IF you are totally pain free all day.  Its all about letting the knee very slowly adjust to how you are now using it.  Also he swears by anti-inflammation meds (Aleve, Motin, Advil) used daily.  Baby steps, and I'm not so good at that. eagle

Offline What a pain in the

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 08:39:54 PM »
I get a click out of my knee (which has mild OA post TPF in 1997) on every downstroke.  I've not received professional advice, but I'm 32, I've given up doing most of the sports I love, if I cant do mountain biking that leaves me pretty much with swimming, which I hate.  So I tend to just drown out the click with an Ipod and hope the benefit of the strengthening going on outweighs the damage.  I should add, it's a light, tinny click like when you bend one of your fingers back rather than a deep clunk.  I do find I get a bit of aching after cycling, but I often have aching anyway so it's hard to say.

Offline D_Morgan

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 06:15:42 AM »
Well It is important to note that exercise with clunking knee is not recommended by the health experts because of the fact that there is a risk of more problem in your knee while exercising . So the best way is to discuss with doctor for better advice and solution to this problem .
[Spam link removed by KNEEguru]

Offline Beasman

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 17
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 11:28:39 PM »
D Morgan-I know what you mean. My physio has recently stopped me on most of my exercises due to developing a very loud and painful clunk on both knees when going between flexion and extension. She said that very thing, that I could easily do more damage than good. This has occurred since my last surgery for reasons unknown to me. I really notice it going up/down steps. So now I do just water therapy and NWB exercises on land.
04/15/2013 ruptured patella tendons

Offline FMRCathelete

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 5
  • Cats are great recovery companions
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 11:43:49 PM »
Here too - PT demoted me to straight leg exercises due to noises & popping.  No one knows what the cause is as all the x-rays & scans look "perfect".  Take care all-A
Lat release 5/08
OATS 7/09
PJFR 10/10
Scope, plica removal/synovectomy 1/12
Scope, Medial retinacular release and debridement of excess tissues 2/13
Knee Denervation 3/2014

Offline Ingrid

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2015, 12:27:58 AM »
Goodness! Boy do I know lately the clicking, popping and clunking.  Whoever said they drown out their click with an IPOD, I don't think that's wise.  It's clicking for a reason.  I think it's the joints needing oiling--haha.  Seriously, add some Flax Oil with Omega 3's and gentle biking is what I suggest.

These knees really suck......especially when we age! As I said in another thread I just posted, I rolled over in bed last night on my bad knee, quite hard, and I heard a loud horrible cracking, popping, etc.  Then it was locked, spasming, and I was screaming! It's calmed now......but that was something.  Will try gentle swimming tomorrow. Baby steps is good idea! Like someone said here...