Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: brace issues  (Read 1588 times)

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
brace issues
« on: September 01, 2003, 06:59:12 PM »
I've been wearing an OA brace for 2 months. It's frame goes in front of the thigh, and behind the calf. It's a dual hinge design.  It's the OAdjuster from Donjoy. It does help with the pain, but I am not terribly fond of the design. The weight of the brace seems to rest on the strap at the top of the calf, behind the knee. The frame seems to do little to "suspend" the brace.  :( I have had some issues with the brace being an off the shelf brace, and have been able to get some changes to compensate for those issues. I still contend with some comfort issues with the way the brace "sits" on that  calf strap. ::) Please note that I am an extended use wearer, in that I wear the brace 12-16 hours per day.

Has anyone else had this experience with OA bracing? Has anyone else found another design that doesn't rely on soft tissue suspension methods? I've looked at the pictures of the Townsend Air design, and wonder if that might be better. That seems to have the shell wrapping around the front to "hold onto" the tibia.

I would really appreciate some feedback about the brace designs people have had success or problems with. I am considering getting a new brace when my insurance will help subsidize it, and would like to know from users what their experiences have been.

It may also be helpful to note that I am only 5'4", and am a "person of size", but not overly so.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline lam651

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • Someday
Re: brace issues
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2003, 07:19:53 PM »
I've 2 generation 2 unloader braces for about a year. They seem to have the same problems as the ones you describe. I hope you find something that helps. Larry
arthoscopy('99),HTO(tibia didn't heal 10/01),knee braces(7/02),HTO w/ex.fix. to repair tibial non-union(3/03), remove ex. fix.(9/03),HTO other leg(12/03)

Offline Bianchilady

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2004, 06:33:06 PM »
    I've been wearing a Gen. II unloader brace every day for about 3 weeks.  I don't know that it is doing a whole lot of good.  It isn't that uncomfortable to wear except when riding a training bike at 95 rpms for an hour.  I still can't run or do the stair climber and the knee will still become quite swollen weither I'm wearing the brace or not. The Orth. doc wanted to do a total knee replacement, but I'm not real keen on that, so wearing the brace was an alternative.  I have very little cartilage on the lateral side of the knee, so it's sometimes bone on bone.  I'm a high level masters athlete that has competed in road racing and cross country skiing when the knee was in better shape.  I'm not ready to become a couch potato...
  Any feedback?
Bianchilady

Offline Lizzie - UK

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Fibromyalgia diagnosed Dec 2003 - OA in both knees
    • E30 Zone
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2004, 05:55:42 PM »
Hey dm

I've been wearing my brace since November and I find it very comfortable.  The brace I have is an Innovation Sports CTi2 OA unloader brace supplied by Technology in Motion.  The brace is sooooo comfortable, lightweight and fits excellently as it is a custom brace.

I have to wear my brace from the time I get up in the morning until I go to bed - approximately 20 hours per day.

I've tried off the shelf braces and they are just not as comfortable.

I am 5'7" and am quite muscular, although my knees are not chubby in anyway.  In fact, they are quite lean.    However, the Innovation Sports have braces designed for women and children too.  The custom brace takes all measurements into account and therefore will fit precisely and comfortable too.

I hope that you get some help with your brace soon!

Take care
Lizzie
Past History of L&R Knee
Bilateral OA
Medial Meniscal Tears
Lateral Releases & Medial Reefings
Ruptured LCL, MCL & PCL
Adhesions in the interconylar notch of ACL removed
Suprapatella plication
Debridements/Lavages
Deep chondral fissure in crest of patella
Awaiting MRI - LK